what would britain look like after independence day?

what would britain look like after independence day?

bellend
my guess still obeying EU rules and paying for the privilege, the one difference being we will not have a say in how things are run.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
To remain in the free market and customs union we will agree to free movement of goods, services and people.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Percy
Unless the Tories deliver on Brexit and control of immigration they are screwed and may suffer the fate of the Liberals. They have till 2022.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Its not my view, its a fact.

The conditions of being a member of the single market is free movement of goods, services, capital and labour.

Fact.

Norway and Switzerland are not members of the EU and have far higher levels of EU immigration than the UK as a proportion of their populations.

These countries do operate under slightly different arrangements to the UK when it comes to EU migration. The Swiss are part of the Schengen agreement as well as free movement and as such had to take EU migrant quotas of 1,500 refugees. Norway is in the same boat, both Norway and Switzerland have far higher levels of EU migration than the UK and that is the price they pay for access to the single market.

In practice they are fully integrated into the EU’s free movement rules, and the EU has repeatedly made it clear that free movement of people is the price that must be paid for access to the single market.

We either agree to free movement or leave the single market and customs union. Do you think for one minute 27 member states leaders will agree to us having all the benefits of the single market yet take non of the pain.

You can only get into Switzerland to live if you have an employer to vouch for you and lets face it there is little industry and agriculture requiring hordes of unskilled labour. They essentially pick who they want. People travel through it as they have for millennia but stay is another matter.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
They don't pick who they want they get what they get.

On 22nd September 2016 the Swiss parliament completely caved in to EU intransigence on free movement in a decision that is a blow to our government hopes of being able to both control immigration and retain enhanced single market access after Brexit.

Swiss MPs approved legislation that would promote "some" local preference in job hires a compromise they hope will allow vital economic relations with the bloc to be preserved following a 2014 referendum vote to cap EU immigration.

Both Swiss and EU officials have said the UK’s vote to leave the EU would be almost certain to fuel similar demands from Britain, something the EU will not budge on, if you want to be in the single market you get the head the tail the whole damn thing, free movement and all.

The population of Switzerland is 8 million and a quarter of them are non-Swiss (2,000,000), 1.4 million are EU nationals and 600,000 from elsewhere. That is why the Swiss demanded a referendum on free movement, the people voted to end it but caved in when they were told they will be thrown out of the single market.

If the Conservatives come back with a deal that allows free movement they will be finished and they know it. Crashing out with no deal is the only option open to them.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
Well the Westminster “inappropriate behaviour” goings on have certainly diverted attention from BREXIT.

Meanwhile in the background.

Ministers have accepted that their stance is untenable and the government will have to implement key elements of the Brexit withdrawal agreement directly into British law.

Ministers have conceded any Brexit agreement with the EU would need to be enshrined in law and be subject to scrutiny and a vote by MPs and Peers, you know, that bunch of 800 odd unelected bureaucrats.

Until now Theresa May and David Davis have insisted that parliament will only be given a “take it or leave it” vote on the overall deal, without the need for primary legislation.

There is an assumption there will be a deal to put before parliament, you can’t enshrine an agreement into British law if an agreement doesn’t exist.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
I voted Leave and I can honestly say I did not understand what I was voting for other than to control immigration and end free movement.

It now appears to be ever so slightly more complicated and I am not sure it's a gamble I would be prepared to take now I understand far more about our relationship with the EU.

If only the politicians had been honest on both the Leave and Remain side, but there again if they had been honest who on earth would have believed them, after all they are politicians and the first victim of politics is the truth.

Don't worry about the Lords in the background there is a serious threat of reform of the Lords 400 less at least if they do anything to thwart Brexit.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
The problem Percy is for a bill to be passed to reform the House of Lords and reduce them to a 400 member elected upper chamber it has to first pass the House of Commons (which it won't). It then requires the Lords themselves to pass it.

In June 2012 Nick Clegg proposed a Lords reform bill which would have made the upper house an elected chamber but this bill was withdrawn in September 2012 and abandoned following opposition from the Conservative party.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Phil Wailing
91 Conservative MP's rebelled against the Lord's reform bill and the MP for Romford, Andrew Rosindell was one of them. Cameron subsequently abandoned the bill to avoid an embarrassing defeat in the house.

Percy it will never happen.

Re: what would britain look like after independence day?

Percy
Yes its unlikely but they have been threatened into submission.
Revolutions are always verbose.