honest mps past and present, my top five

honest mps past and present, my top five

bellend
tony benn
james brokenshire
Keith vaz
aneurin bevan
dennis skinner

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Percy.
I doubt they were all that Honest James brokenshire nice bloke but just Lobby Fodder never voted against the whip.He is a career politician will never rock the boat and is not a conviction politician.
Benn well he was the original rich boy a Lord by Birth and changed parties an academic but totally inneffective as his politics were 30 years out of date.
Bevan well a long time ago would never get in now too ugly and sold the spirit of 45 down the river did not get rid of private schools the only chance we had to form an egalitarian society.
The Beast of Bolsover a Bully and I doubt that Honest
Vaz a turncoat who sold the young down the river.

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

i apologise for my ignorance

pericles i agree with more of your posts than i disagree with,  but you have a way about you in which ever guise you use that comes across as extremely rude. i think if you managed to control your arrogance you could make a valuable contribution to the internet. i hope you don't find this critic too brusque.
 if you read my post with more care you would have noticed i said MY top five. your opinion above is just your opinion, it isn't mine.

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Independent man
I agree with you Bellend,something good to say about all five of them, James Brokenshire was straight he never nicked of the tax payer when it came to expenses that,s more than we can say about Air Miles.As for Pericles maybe he should get a job as a obituary writer.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Percy.
Yes however that's just my opinion. I dealt with three of them face to face so that's how they came over to me. Brokenshire was my MP met him several times yes never took any expenses but was off quick to a safe tory seat rather than fight Cruddas when they changed boundaries.
I cant see how you can see rudesness or any thing in a one dimensional virtual world post.Its just words none of the other 70% of communication.

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Bouncer
interesting list

not a fan of keith vaz though at all but the rest seem ok

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

that maybe your trouble if you can not see where you are rude, allow me to explain, i gave an opinion which i held and still hold, it is my opinion right or wrong. the reaction i was hoping for was your and others top lists,

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

confused of hornchurch

Yes an interesting list young Bellend, did you ever vote for any of those you mentioned?

I only ever met one of those on your list, but I'm afraid I didn't vote for any of them.

I'm still frantically searching for somebody that I would feel happy to vote for at the next general election.

Hopefully this post may dig up some names that I haven't considered and maybe some worthwhile arguments that may just influence my voting strategy.

Confused of Hornchurch, living in hope.

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Percy.
The problem is I dont expect honesty.I expect a politician to be dishonest it comes with the job.What I look for is effectiveness try Barbera Castle or Hore Belisha both left something to be proud of.

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Romfordian
I agree with Belends list none of them were out to screw the electorate not sure if it is still the case but Dennis Skinner only took the same pay as his constituents
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Percy.
Harsh but true Ho hum

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

Re: honest mps past and present, my top five

confused of hornchurch

I didn't vote for any of this shower either.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it looks as if most M.Ps. who end up in jail
are there for financial crime or for law-breaking inspired by
beliefs/principles.

===============================
18 M.Ps.who have been in prison
===============================

Robert Walpole
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page174.asp

John Wilkes - in the Tower like Walpole
http://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/society7.htm

Benjamin Walsh ("the prisoner" then pardoned)
http://www.law.utexas.edu/lpop/etext/newgate5/walsh.htm

Thomas Cochrane - this page says he was innocent
http://www.hms.org.uk/nelsonsnavycochrane.htm

Charles Bradlaugh - "freethinker"
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRbradlaugh.htm
http://athena.english.vt.edu/~jmooney/3044biosa-g/bradlaugh.html

Edward Samuel Wesley de Cobain - "gross indecency"
http://www.election.demon.co.uk/expulsions.html
(The list in the link above suggests more possible names for library
research.)

George Hastings - 5 years penal servitude
http://www.yeoldesussexpages.co.uk/misc/genealog/trials10.txt

Horatio Bottomley - breakfasted on kippers and champagne, no prison
uniform to fit him
http://www.aftermathww1.com/horatio2.asp
http://www.sussexlife.co.uk/gils_guide/upper_dicker.html

Oswald Moseley - interned
http://www.shef.ac.uk/library/special/bunion.html

John Beckett - interned
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mere_pseud_mag_ed/History/MadDogs1.htm

Maule Ramsay - interned
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mere_pseud_mag_ed/History/MadDogs1.htm

Peter Baker - forgery
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/a-z_of_parliament/e-g/82139.stm

John Stonehouse - found after faking his own death

Bobby Sands - IRA
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/10/newsid_2453000/2453183.stm

Bernadette Devlin - Irish republican
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/17/newsid_2524000/2524881.stm

Terry Fields - poll tax rebel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/a-z_of_parliament/h-l/82467.stm

Jeffrey Archer - the writer
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer

Jonathan Aitken - "geezer with wonderful joined-up writing"