dial-a-ride

bellend
has the budget been cut? a lot of ole dears have been stranded in sainbury's in the last week, waiting hours, also a lot of journeys have been cancelled. what's going on?

Bob

Re: dial-a-ride

Bob
Lack of drivers so I heard.I often bump into dial a ride drivers (not literally) they tell me the volunteers and paid drivers are not coming forward.Tapestry is always looking for volunteer drivers .The people I help are short drivers and escorts.So far the clubs I know that have lost transport funding are Multiple schlerosis , the havering disabled sports association,Arthritus care and the partially sighted.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: dial-a-ride

There you go Bellend, how about a bit of voluntary work driving all those elderly ladies about?

Re: dial-a-ride

Ho-Hum
When I looked after my mum I gave up with dial-a-ride, too late for too many appointments.
Bob

Re: dial-a-ride

Bob
Dial a ride have never had much of a reputation for punctuality.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: dial-a-ride

confused of hornchurch

Bit like Network Rail then?

Re: dial-a-ride

starry eyes
Hi Percy my close relative  of mine works for dial a ride  and nobody gets stranded other than the fact that a bus has broken down and is late and a replacement is sent out asap. The customer should also have the control number with them in oreder to ring through should any driver not turn up for reasons of heavy traffic or road diversions or accidents. People seem to forget sometimes, this is a free service and the drivers should be treated respectfully  which doesn't  always happen, they do their best and sometimes get it in the neck if they are late

Re: dial-a-ride

Ho-Hum
Actually, my bruv drove dial-a-ride for years and I new many drivers.  When they did come on time, they'd take her without me escorting her and I'd wait for them to bring her back.

I always told her to treat the driver.  When I asked her if she'd given a tip she proudly announced, " Oh yes, I gave them a penny."
Bob

Re: dial-a-ride

Bob
They are usually nice drivers but late many times for many reasons.If you are satnding at Sainsury waiting for your bus it is not possible for many elderly to be informed as they struggle to use mobiles.I meet many on a weekly basis and have coffee or tea with them.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: dial-a-ride

starry eyes
Hi Percy, no one to my relatives knowledge has ever been let down on purpose, the control room even ring the customer if the driver has informed the control room there is a problem on the road. They do believe me give the poor drivers some grief sometimes, they can be very rude to them. On one occasion my relative stopped the bus ran over to a member of the public who was bleeding profusely from his head, called an ambulance and stayed with them until the ambulance arrived, so they do sometimes have a very good reason.

Re: dial-a-ride

Reminds me when my old mum first got hands free sets for indoors.
The day she started using them I got a call in the evening and she said they weren't working properly.
Reminder her she was talking to me they are working to which she replied "I took them with me to Romford market and couldn't get through to you.
Oh bless her!

Re: dial-a-ride

nice to hear the good stories, but the service is not what it used to be.

Re: dial-a-ride

Terry Matthews

Re: dial-a-ride

starry eyes
Thanks for that support Terry your right, they do have to take a lot of flack lots of pressure also from the control room who add jobs on to the drivers from all over the boroughs ridiculous at times, trying to meet deadlines, only to get grief from passengers, The control rooms have no concept sometimes of drivers safety, when giving them extra jobs. Think they should go out for one day with the drivers to see what they have to put up with and all the heavy pushing of wheelchairs of bariatric passengers and all the shopping they have to carry, some go off with injuries due to the lifting, so spare a thought when you see a dial a ride driver. It takes nine months to pass through the training.

Re: dial-a-ride

so the service has been cut and cut, thanks terry someone has answered my question.

Re: dial-a-ride

Ho-Hum
Dial-a-Ride was a good concept but unfortunately for many became a lost cause.

My bruv had lots of stories to tell when he drove for Barking and Dagenham, especially about the salt of the earth Dagenham women:  While taking one old girl to bingo, she put her electric scooter into reverse while in the dial-a-Ride vehicle and shot off the back, injuring herself but refused to go to hospital (bit like a carry on film) insisting she wanted to go on to her recreation.

Sometimes one would pinch his bum and all the ladies in the carriage would start laughing...definitely a lot of responsibility for drivers.

Re: dial-a-ride

confused of hornchurch

Some more customers headed for dial a ride?

Transport to be cut for Havering disabled sports club members

07:00 09 February 2016

Sam Gelder  (Romford Recorder)

Cllr Wendy Brice-Thompson

Members of a disabled sports group relying on community transport will have to make their own way to the club when funding is cut.

About 10 members of Havering Disabled Sports Association will be affected when Havering Council pulls the £7,000 grant in April.

Chairman Dave Wiltshire said the move was “out of order” and denied claims by the council the club said members could find other forms of transport.

“We use that money to hire Havering Community Transport but we won’t be able to, that will cease at the end of March,” he said.

“We’re hoping to see a couple of councillors about it because otherwise they won’t be able to get here.”

The association’s social nights are being held at myplace, Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill while its home, the Broxhill Centre, Harold Hill, is being renovated. The popular archery sessions are being held at Bretons in Rainham.

Alan Pearson drove members of the club for five years and said for some the club is their only social activity.

He said: “It’s disgraceful. Three of the members are in wheelchairs, I don’t know what they are going to do. They depend on us.

“The budget isn’t a lot, with the amount of money the council pay out it’s ridiculous.”

Alan said there were a number of other charities locked in discussions with the council over funding cuts, while Havering Community Transport, itself a charity, could also face closure as a result.

Cllr Wendy Brice-Thompson, cabinet member for adult social Services, said she understood it may present a challenge to users but the council had “reluctantly concluded” the funding was not value for money.

She said: “As they have advised us, the service is not used at full capacity, with only around five to seven users for a 15-seat minibus. They also pay a third party for a minibus service on Friday evenings.

“The association has advised the council users of their service have access to alternative forms of transport, including DIAL A RIDE. Some members also own cars and are willing to offer lifts, and others are able to use public transport. The association’s centre is on two bus routes.

“We would be more than happy to hear from Mr and Mrs Wiltshire or people who use their services to discuss further.”