cheap labour

Re: cheap labour

dalek1
Phil I was not referring to any one of our neighbours in Europe just the circumstances when we were forced into the common market.
I also did not mention any individual European country and its conduct towards what can be referred to as outsiders.
Mrs D1 and I have until three years ago have been a host family to English language students from all over the planet and Little Miss D1 in her early years met people from all parts of Europe South America and the far east and we as a family never encountered any form of anti British feeling and in fact I believe in later life engaging with people from all over the globe will only benefit her as she sees individuals for what they are not their appearance.
I know this has nothing to do with my determination to get as out of the common market but  as to the aftermath it demonstrates people are people and don't judge the book by the cover.

Re: cheap labour

I am not sure bellend, but as I understand it, in 2013 the UK committed to the EU 7 year budget for spending on EU wide projects. The EU’s claim is the UK should pay a share of money that’s already been committed to various projects up to 2020. I understand Davis has offered £36 billion to cover this.

These negotiations are getting somewhat fractious (according to the media) and we will all just have to sit back and watch the entertainment.

D1 I have worked with many nationalities over the years and my experience is, when they are in the UK, foreign nationals are highly complementary of us.

When however you are in their country and in a tiny minority the story is somewhat different (unless you are spending shed loads of money)

Re: cheap labour

we also have hosted Spanish and German students over many years, this is not about individuals, it's about numbers. if newcomers make a place their home they should live learn and adapt I include British abroad not live in little Pakistan or England in the sun.

Re: cheap labour

Re: cheap labour

bellend
"THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER" TONY OF SEDGEFIELD

Re: cheap labour

Re: cheap labour

My brother speaks fluent Spanish and lives in a Spanish town, they treat him like a local but 5 miles away there is a development of new houses, apartments and shops (about 1,500 properties) and there is not one Spaniard in the place.

The properties were not offered for sale in Spain, they were sold in the UK, Germany and Sweden. I am told no one in this development speaks Spanish and all the shops are owned and run by foreigners (non Spanish).

There is 20% unemployment in Spain and the Spanish are getting seriously miffed by these goings on.

Where have I heard all this before, it's not just us that moan about free movement but Spain is in hock up to it's eye balls and cannot leave the EU.

Re: cheap labour

Not good enough Percy. "Scrutiny" is the role of HM Opposition and there are other constitutional devices for the scrutiny role, for example select committees. That's why I used the word "valid".

Re: cheap labour

Percy
Whilst I would do away with the lot of them most democracy have an upper house.We have the largest most expensive and least able in the world to reduce it from 1000 to 200 elected senior officials with a role of legal scutiny would be a major modernisation.Its been promised for 100 years we need at least a first step.

Re: cheap labour

By Scrutiny I mean of new legislation and adopted legislation from other countries.It would be unjust to expect an oppositiom party who would have to vote on it to be a neutral scrutineer.

Re: cheap labour

But that's precisely one of the the key roles of HM's Opposition.

Re: cheap labour

Percy
Of course but its not independant it would be partisan.Independent scrutiny.

Re: cheap labour

And how would an elected second chamber be completely "independent", more "independent" than HM's Opposition is under the present arrangements?

Re: cheap labour

Percy
By legal edict the legislation would have to be setup.

Re: cheap labour

Legislation can't impose independence. You haven't demonstrated to me why a 2nd chamber is necessary or even desirable. Sorry!

Re: cheap labour

Percy
Independance who said any thing about independance the country needs strict control.