cheap labour

Re: cheap labour

fred
Very well put I couldn't agree more.

Re: cheap labour

Phil Wailing
The world has changed somewhat in the last 50 years and the world you knew in the 70's no longer exists, leaving the EU is a massive leap into the unknown.

None of us either know or understand what life will be like after our EU membership ends.

None of us understand how intertwined our country is within the EU, I thought I understood but now I am realising I was in almost complete ignorance.

I voted to leave and I am beginning to think I may have made a mistake.

Only time will tell.

Re: cheap labour

Re: cheap labour

The term United States of Europe was first used by Winston Churchill in his speech on 19 September 1946 at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.

That always has been the end game and nothing will stop it. With the EU in it's current guise that is a bad thing but is the concept of a US of E a bad thing?

You and I are from a generation who's parents and grandparents fought in two world wars but to today's youngsters those wars is were in a previous millennium and means very little to them and that does not mean they are not patriotic.

People of 50 years of age have not known being in the EU and to them this is a massive gamble and I didn't realise how inter dependent we have become on the EU.

The last year has taught me a great deal and I honestly do not know what is the right thing to do. It is bigger than I ever imagined and I have to say, with the benefit of hindsight, I did not know what I was voting for. I thought I did but recent events have proved me wrong.

Re: cheap labour

On the subject of cheap labour, I was amused by this article on the beeb site - compare your earnings with the best-paid footballers. Have a go!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/41037621

Re: cheap labour

You can have no idea what remaining in means either.No one can see the future a resurgent right wing in Germany could lead to conflict especiallly if Italy or Greece can not pay their debts.THe war may start with Norther Africa who knows it might be a new crusade or war to halt the Muslim hordes or just a fight over water supplies.I only know we are better off doing our own thing even if it means sending the political class and inteigentsa to pick cabbages.

Re: cheap labour

A thought on your words "Reform the Lords turn it into an elected upper house", Percy. The following question has been asked many times and it bears repeating - what is the purpose of an upper house, however it's constituted? The French political writer Sieyes put it like this - "if the upper house agrees with the lower house (ie The Commons) it's superfluous. If it disagrees with the lower house, it's obnoxious". I'd argue that an upper house has no valid constitutional purpose whatever and exists only to give the usual suspects a platform to admire the sound of their own voices while enjoying a soft job on the public payroll.

Re: cheap labour

Percy
Scrutiny.

Re: cheap labour

Phil if memory serves me correct Heath lied to the British voters saying he would not take us into the common market without the full consent of the people.
Out of four countries us Norway Rep of Ireland and Denmark we were the only country who were blatantly denied referendum because Heath new he would have been slaughtered at the polls due to his unpopularity.
I remember in '75 when the people voted 2 to 1 to stay in and my mum and dad voted out I told my dad at the time if ever I got the chance I would vote us out which is what I did last year.
I can also remember our closest allies Canada New Zealand and Australia where shit on as our dear friends in Brussels didn't like our free trading agreements so they were torn up and chucked in the bin.
I can understand your concern ref your family members but will Brussels chuck Brits out with so many common market nationals living here?
I somehow cant see that happening!

Re: cheap labour

Ho Hum is spot on with his views and opinions.

Re: cheap labour

HH have you seen one of the common markets logo's.
Its the Tower of Babel.
As a churchgoer you would know the story and I think it sums up the common market.
No one understands each other and in time the whole thing will come crashing down.

Re: cheap labour

fred
The sooner the better.

Re: cheap labour

Percy
Are you equating the Lord with Merkel then.

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b] and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Re: cheap labour

Hi D1

It's not a case of Brussels chucking our ex-pats out, if we leave with no agreement it will be down to each member state and Spain are chomping at the bit. My brother lives in Spain and is a fluent Spanish speaker and he listens to the Spanish in "local" non tourists bars and I can assure you the Spanish detest ex-pats. they blame them for destroying the Spanish culture.

I have worked in Spain in Valencia and I got exactly the same impression from the Spanish that I worked with.

The Spanish are the most racist nation I have ever encountered, We were in a bank in Roquetas de Mar and there was a black guy in the queue, when more Spanish joined the queue they started shouting at the black guy. I asked my brother what they were saying and he told me they were telling the black guy to go to the back of the queue.

The Spanish are not a nice race of people and you wont find that out till you live there.

Re: cheap labour

confused of hornchurch

I found it out whilst holidaying out there. I've had two holidays ruined by having our holiday apartment burgled. I'd never go back there.

Re: cheap labour

The Spanish are the most racist nation I have ever encountered, have you spent much time in Ireland?

Re: cheap labour

bellend
we can make it easier for your family phil by giving  the eu £100,000,000,000

Re: cheap labour

Phil Wailing
I don't think we will be giving them anything, the way it appears to be going we will be out of the EU sooner rather than later.

Ex-pats that went to Spain have to live with that decision, in 2005 it was the right thing to do, that all changed last year but they will have to get on with it.

My wife's Irish so I understand.

Re: cheap labour

bellend
i'm just a bricklayer phil so I can't understand why we owe the eu money when we paid much much more  in for 40+ years than we got out.