Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

confused of hornchurch

Havering shop owners: ‘Faulty parking meters have lead to 30pc drop in customers’
PUBLISHED: 10:00 07 December 2017
Aaron Walawalkar  Romford Recorder

Broken pay and display machines have led to a downturn in business for shops on Hilldene Avenue
Broken pay and display machines and “overzealous” traffic wardens are damaging business, according to shop owners on a popular Havering high street.

Broken pay and display machines have led to a downturn in business for shops on Hilldene Avenue
Shopkeepers on Hilldene Avenue say they have seen significant reductions in customers after the introduction of pay and display machines in the public car park opposite their road two years ago.
Mark Rising, owner of F & J Caring & Sons Butcher shop, spoke of seeing a 30pc reduction in customers since the pay and display meters were introduced.
“To be honest they’ve NEVER WORKED PROPERLY,” said the 61-year-old, when asked when the problem first started. “Six of them are out of order.
“The traffic wardens are almost overzealous in their work,” he added.
“When people get a ticket they get penalised and they don’t want to come and use the shops anymore.”
“I have seen some people running to the nearest working ticket machine which is about 75 metres away and running back because the traffic warden is writing them a ticket.”
Kim Bird, co-owner of Comet Carpets, also claims to have seen a “significant drop” in customers in connection to faulty pay and display machines.
“We have seen customers drive in and then see the machine is broken and drive away.”
Both shop owners say they have complained to Havering Council but it is yet to repair the faulty machines or address business owners’ suggestions for changing the charging system.
A Council spokesperson said: “We are aware that two of the nine machines in the Hilldene shopping area are experiencing issues and apologise for this inconvenience.
“We are working closely with the supplier to solve these issues and we are reviewing the positioning of machines as well as the signage, to better inform residents and visitors of all available methods of payment.
“As soon as we are aware of a problem with any of the machines, our Civil Enforcement team will cease enforcement in the specific location.
“However, if anyone has received a penalty charge notice in error, we encourage them to appeal and we will certainly review their case.”

Havering council bringing bankruptcy to local businesses.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

Piss-ups and breweries spring to mind for some reason.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

dalek1
Greedy bastards and money grabbers also comes to mind.
Sometime back Ramsey said what a business friendly place Havering is.
In response I'd say LYING BASTARD!

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

bellend
 local government is starved of cash, so they have to pull these kind of strokes, for ffffsake don't have a go at the government, you know that one takes our money pours it in other countries, spends ten trillion on trident and another 600 billion on a convenient new rail that only mps can afford to travel to their estates up north. going cap in hand to the eu and begging them to take tens of billions so they don't have to admit to the public they ain't  taking any notice of the referendum.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

There is a bloke in this country called Martin Tett who has been quoted as saying “Councils are on the side of the motorist.....” I am tempted to call him a quango employed prick,but I won’t as it’s Christmas.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

Did you spell his surname correctly?

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

fred
Dopey C... sprang to mind,but we’re paying him to be so unfortunately.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

As I've mentioned previously I live close to London road off Jutsoms lane.
In London road two parking metres have been out of order for a few weeks.
The council put red tape over one which was quickly removed and both are still out of service.
Ok you cant pay your parking fees so what do you do?
Park in a controlled area and risk a fine or put your car in the designated bays without being able to pay and also risk a fine.
I got into a row with one of the parking wardens recently who tried to ticket a woman who had stopped off to go to the shops on a metre that wasn't in service and reminded him that motorists are allowed 30 minutes grace before paying a fee.
The rude SOB told me I didn't know what I was talking about and I directed him to the metre which says just that.
I then challenged him to switch on his cam that the council issued because these dirtbags are being confronted by the public and he just walked away.
In instances like this my advice to people would be stand your ground and stand up to bullies.
When you do and you are in the right they normally back down.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

confused of hornchurch

So that's another two out of order, apart from the six in Harold Hill?

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

dalek1
I've not walked the whole length of London road yet Connie and I have the feeling it could be more.
However you can still pay for three hours parking and get fined for doing so when the signs facing road side say you are restricted to two.
Nice little mini earner for a corrupt administration don't you think!

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

confused of hornchurch

I think the phrase is "maximising revenue"

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

6 now! I packed up looking after 4 when I went to the bank last week.
If any of you lads want a bit of free parking whilst shopping in Romford use the old cottage hospital on Pettits Lane,bit of a trot,but it’ll shift the mince pies and any excess achohol you accidentally swallowed.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

Percy
They should let you pay over the phone or buy annual parking permits.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

dalek1
Good point Perc but that's far to logical for the likes of Moore and Frost to work out.
Due to an accident in London rd on Saturday night I had to walk home from the roundabout.
I had a look at the two meters by Cottons park with the deceptive signage and nothing has been changed to rectify the discrepancy and we are now down to one non functioning meter that been out for about 4-5 weeks.
Why are we paying arseholes like Moore and Frost if departments under their control cant sort out simple matters?

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

confused of hornchurch

Parking mad AA demands parking fines cap as it accuses councils of using tickets to raise cash
The motoring organisation claims local authorities have abused their power to ticket drivers - who it says they treat like 'lambs to the slaughter'
Exclusive
By Steve Hawkes, Deputy Political Editor
11th December 2017, 12:29 am Updated: 11th December 2017, 1:00 am
FURIOUS motoring chiefs are demanding new laws to cap the number of parking tickets a council can issue each month, the Sun can reveal.
The AA last night accused local authorities of treating motorists like “lambs to the slaughter”.

The AA is demanding new laws to cap the number of parking tickets councils can issue
And they said town halls were now using motoring fines and parking tickets as a way to raise money rather than encourage good behaviour.
In a letter to Transport Secretary Chris Grayling they urge the Tory veteran to intervene and limit the number of tickets a council can issue at car parks in their patch per month.
A spokesman said: “We’re now seeing people given huge fines simply for putting a zero into a machine instead of an ‘O’ when asked to type in their registration when buying a ticket. It has to stop.”
The AA also wants “first-time offenders” to be given a warning rather than a huge fine if they stray into a bus lane or box junction at the lights.

The motoring chiefs have accused local authorities of using drivers to raise extra cash
And they want “toxin taxes” to be stripped from resident parking permits.
The call comes at the launch of one of AA’s biggest campaigns of the past decade – to fight back against “rampant ticketing” by councils and private parking contractors
Figures last week showed Edinburgh City Council alone coined in £2.4million in parking fines over just three months this summer from a staggering 60,000 penalty notices.
New Forest District Council raised £77,000 from 2,888 fines.

Edmund King, president of the AA, claimed councils are ‘enforcing the rules with a sledgehammer’
AA President Edmund King stormed: “It is clear that some councils are enforcing the rules with a sledgehammer.
“We need to restore that balance between enforcement and deterrence, between the need for targeted fines that direct driver behaviour – and punishing every single little mistake because it’s a nice little earner for councils and private companies.”
He added: “We are asking for Government intervention to restore fairness.”

The AA has urged Transport Secretary Chris Grayling to put limits on the number of parking fines

The RAC last month revealed councils made a whopping £820million “profit” from parking fees and fines in 2016-2017 – up 10 per cent.
The Local Government Association claims the so-called parking charge surplus is spent on “essential transport projects”.
But a report earlier this year claimed Britain’s road network was in such a bad state it’s ranked 27th in the world – below Ecuador and Namibia.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

The Local Government Association claims the so-called parking charge surplus is spent on “essential transport projects”.

Speed humps, cycle lanes, 20 MPH zones, width restrictions, just about anything that stops you actually being able to drive a car.

When I was in the USA one of the people we were with got a $250 ticket for illegally walking in the road. In the UK we persecute the motorist for having the audacity to drive a car on the road.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

confused of hornchurch
One man beats the system.

RAF veteran wins battle over £100 parking fine after arguing clock should run from when he bought his £1 ticket rather than when he entered car park
Ex-RAF man Terence O'Halloran paid £1 to park for an hour but was given a fine
He claimed NCP had calculated the length of stay incorrectly and won his case
Mr O'Halloran said: 'It is not a victory. It is the correct analysis and decision'
By Scott Campbell For Mailonline
Published: 20:06, 12 December 2017 | Updated: 21:23, 12 December 2017

A motorist who was insisted he was wrongly slapped with a £100 fine at a car park in Lincoln has claimed victory and got his ticket scrapped.
Ex-RAF man Terence O'Halloran paid £1 to park for an hour at St Rumbold's Street but was shocked to discover a penalty notice on his windscreen when he returned within the hour last month.
He claims NCP calculated the length of stay from the moment heentered the car park to the time he exited, rather than the clock starting when he bought his ticket from the machine.
Now financial journalist and analyst Terence has finally won his case and has had his ticket quashed.
He said: 'It is not a victory. It is the correct analysis and decision. The charge notice should not have been issued. People are now aware.'

Ex-RAF man Terence O'Halloran paid £1 to park for an hour at St Rumbold's Street but was shocked to discover a penalty notice on his windscreen when he returned within the hour
A letter addressed to Terence from NCP reads: 'Your appeal has been reviewed and has been considered in conjunction with the evidence gathered by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, which record your entry and exit times.
'Having considered the content of your letter we are prepared to cancel this notice.
'We would apologise for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your correspondence.'
Mr O'Halloran, from Stainton by Langworth, previously told Lincolnshire Live: 'You expect to pay for the duration of your actual parking and in British Society you park up and pay at the machine and get your ticket.
'Your time starts when your ticket is issued. The NCP at St Rumbold's Street is busy so it can take 10 minutes to find a space.

Mr O'Halloran claims NCP calculated the length of stay from the moment heentered the car park to the time he exited, rather than the clock starting when he bought his ticket from the machine
'If you're parking for one hour apparently the time starts as your car enters the car park and concludes as your car exits the car park - that's given you something between 45 and 50 minutes' car parking.
'Apparently the time on your ticket means absolutely nothing to NCP.
'Yes, there is a 10 minute statutory over run but if you're searching for spaces before going to the machine to buy your ticket, time soon runs away.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5172301/RAF-veteran-wins-battle-100-parking-fine.html#ixzz518LRangn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Good on Mr O'Halloran.
A public spirited citizen standing up to a bunch of bullies.

The only people to benefit from taking them to court would be the Lawyers.

Re: Why fix the machines, when you can take more in fines?

dalek1
Yes they do but the council tax payer suffers in the long run.