What is this a photo of please?

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Percy
Dagnam park drive corner of sedgefield crescent.during the school holidays or very early.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

It's a narrow road with a newish centre refuge and a school crossing patrol sign. It has double yellow lines, one car parked on the footpath and what appears to be a pavement crossover with a drain cover in front of it?

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

But, if a motorist exited that driveway, he/she would have extreme difficulty in performing a right hand turn.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Thanks Confused.  I thought it was a crossing and so did the lady who reported it to me.  Many school children use it as a crossing as well. There have been quite a few near misses, when people use this to cross the road.

When I raised the issue with the council, this is the response I received;

Thank you for your email. I have been informed by Principal Engineer that the issue of the crossing near Sedgefield Crescent is that the feature in the photograph is a traffic island rather than a pedestrian refuge and is not intended as a crossing facility and unfortunately the request for traffic calming or other works, there are no plans at the moment for this area.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you and if you have any further queries about the above, please do not hesitate to contact me with any further concerns.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

I'm a bit confused by that response, because I could post many pictures of similar structures that ARE classified as a 'centre refuge' albeit on wider roads, where crossing both traffic lanes without a central refuge would be dangerous.

The fact that this one 'is not a central refuge' won't stop people using it as such.

I can only assume it has been installed to prevent cars overtaking on this stretch of road?

Just to add to the chaos and confusion they could also add a couple of cycle lanes either side of the road and a couple of speed humps.

Its to slow the traffic every road in Harold hill has speed limiters every where.the council will have to take them out soon.All they need to do is introduce a universal 20mph in the whole of havering a few signs some speed guns and they will be quids in.

Here is what they should have used.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

I think a couple of 'no overtaking' signs and a solid white centre line may have been a better option from a motorists' perception.

Instead they have created a pinch point flanked by a tree on one side of the road and a lamp post on the other. Throw in a gaggle of schoolchildren using the 'traffic island' as a 'central refuge', larking about and using their mobile phones and there is very little chance of taking evasive action without striking either the tree or the lamp post.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Percy
Buses up that road make it worse they stop people try to overtake them but can not see past and accidents occur .Children can not be seen its a road to hell.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

It looks like a load of bollards to me.
As they were installed by Havering council oh they must be.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Percy
Terrible accident in Rainham road last night caused by speed and a set of bollards very similar to those.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Hi, please sign and share this petition.

https://www.change.org/p/cllr-osman-dervish-cllr-osman-dervish-please-provide-a-safe-place-for-children-to-cross-in-dagnam-park-drive?recruiter=709806842&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

Make Harold Hill traffic island into safe crossing urges community campaigners
PUBLISHED: 10:41 10 August 2017
ann-marie abbasah  (Romford Recorder)

Community campaigners Jan Sargent and Lorraine Moss, with resident Bob Farnsworth, have started a petition calling for a traffic calming measure on Dagnam Park Drive to be made into a safer crossing point. Picture Ken Mears
Two community campaigners have launched a petition calling for a traffic island to be made into a safe crossing for school children and pedestrians.

The move came after Lorraine Moss, from Romford, and Jan Sargent, from Harold Hill, received a message from a resident that a traffic island in Dagnam Park Drive at the junction with Sedgefield Crescent, was mistakenly being used by pupils as a crossing.

The petition on Change.org is calling on Havering Council’s cabinet member for environment and community safety – Cllr Osman Dervish – to make the crossing safe.
“Pedestrians are using the island as a crossing to get to a nearby bus stop,” said Ms Moss
“We would like it to be replaced with a crossing at a more suitable location or for steps to be taken to ensure that people do not mistake it for a pedestrian crossing.”
A council spokesman said: “Any safety improvement works carried out are based on accident and collision statistics for the greatest possible impact, and we have no recorded accidents in Dagnam Park Drive near the junction of Sedgefield Crescent over the last three years.”

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Percy
Oh lets just wait for some one to be killed then.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Phil Wailing
A council spokesman said: “Any safety improvement works carried out are based on accident and collision statistics for the greatest possible impact, and we have no recorded accidents in Dagnam Park Drive near the junction of Sedgefield Crescent over the last three years.”

July 2014 - Dagnam Park Drive

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

That looks like an accident to me Phil or was the bus driver parked up in someone's front garden?

Maybe he lives there and had parked up for a cup of tea?

Re: What is this a photo of please?

confused of hornchurch

Maybe he/she was doing it for:  "the greatest possible impact"?

Re: What is this a photo of please?

The damage to the house was such that it was deemed unsafe and the residents had to be moved out whilst Bob the builder replaced the front of the house.

I guess as he only flattened a house and not school kids a crossing is not deemed necessary.

Re: What is this a photo of please?

Signed and on my facebook page!
12