What do our politicians do.

Bob

What do our politicians do.

Bob
This interesting in that hidden in there it more or less says if you start pressurising them to disclose what they do they will start holding useless meetings to stop them appearing lazy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33431580
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

There's very little for them to do, the EU makes all the rules.

If the politicians go away for their summer recess nobody even notices.

If the train drivers go on a 24 hour strike, people start foaming at the mouth.

Which beggars the question, which group is more useful?

Re: What do our politicians do.

Phil Wailing
Some of them spend a large percentage of their time visiting sunny tax havens.

Re: What do our politicians do.

Ho-Hum
Some are deviants and spend their time pleasuring themselves with rent boys, others with opposite sex prostitutes.  Many posture, pretending to be public spirited, posing for photographs at events that may further their careers.

The rare ones actually attempt to do some good for the country but are scorned at by their peers for not toeing the party line, and of course, all spend time in their counting houses, counting their money.

MP generally stands for...Manipulative Ponces

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

Most of them spend too much time drinking in the subsidised House of Commons bars.

Re: What do our politicians do.

bellend
aren't they touching up kids, making false expenses claims and buying second homes with our money?

Re: What do our politicians do.

Royston Eldridge

Re: What do our politicians do.

Royston Eldridge

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

Some of ours could benefit from section 11.

11.To undertake necessary training and development programmes as agreed by the authority.
Bob

Re: What do our politicians do.

Bob
On behalf of the community – a job profile for councillors

Purposes:

To participate constructively in the good governance of the area.
To contribute actively to the formation and scrutiny of the authority’s policies, budget, strategies and service delivery.
To represent effectively the interests of the ward for which the councillor was elected, and deal with constituents’ enquiries and representations.
To champion the causes which best relate to the interests and sustainability of the community and campaign for the improvement of the quality of life of the community in terms of equity, economy and environment.
To represent the council on an outside body, such as a charitable trust or neighbourhood association.
Key Tasks:

To fulfil the statutory and locally determined requirements of an elected member of a local authority and the authority itself, including compliance with all relevant codes of conduct, and participation in those decisions and activities reserved to the full council (for example, setting budgets, overall priorities, strategy).
To participate effectively as a member of any committee or panel to which the councillor is appointed, including related responsibilities for the services falling within the committee’s (or panel’s) terms of reference, human resource issues, staff appointments, fees and charges, and liaison with other public bodies to promote better understanding and partnership working.
To participate in the activities of an outside body to which the councillor is appointed, providing two-way communication between the organisations. Also, for the same purpose, to develop and maintain a working knowledge of the authority’s policies and practices in relation to that body and of the community’s needs and aspirations in respect of that body’s role and functions.
To participate in the scrutiny or performance review of the services of the authority, including where the authority so decides, the scrutiny of policies and budget, and their effectiveness in achieving the strategic objectives of the authority.
To participate, as appointed, in the area and in service-based consultative processes with the community and with other organisations.
To represent the authority to the community, and the community to the authority, through the various forums available.
To develop and maintain a working knowledge of the authority’s services, management arrangements, powers/duties, and constraints, and to develop good working relationships with relevant officers of the authority.
To develop and maintain a working knowledge of the organisations, services, activities and other factors which impact upon the community’s well-being and identity.
To contribute constructively to open government and democratic renewal through active encouragement of the community to participate generally in the government of the area.
To participate in the activities of any political group of which the councillor is a member.
To undertake necessary training and development programmes as agreed by the authority.
To be accountable for his/her actions and to report regularly on them in accessible and transparent ways.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: What do our politicians do.

Terry Matthews

I did say SOME, not ALL.

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

Here's another Tory controlled council that may do well to discuss the affect that the EU is having on its finances?

Tory council complains to David Cameron over 'unrealistic' budget cuts

Conservative-run East Sussex council says budget cuts will significantly reduce quality of life for people in the area

David Cameron was accused of hypocrisy in November after he protested about local authority cuts to public services in his Oxfordshire constituency. Photograph: Getty

Frances Perraudin
Friday 29 January 2016 07.15 GMT  Last modified on Friday 29 January 2016 09.15 GMT

The Conservative-run East Sussex council has written to the prime minister David Cameron to complain about cuts to its budget, saying they will “significantly reduce the quality of life” for people in the area.

The letter, also sent to the chancellor, George Osborne, and Greg Clark, the communities secretary, was signed by the leader of the council, Conservative Keith Glazier, plus the leaders of the council’s other party groupings, including Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the UK Independence party.

The council, which has always been Conservative-led, says it recognises the government’s “continued commitment to reduce the national deficit”, but that the expectations on the local authority to reduce spending were unrealistic.

“In line with the rest of local government, East Sussex county council has delivered over £78m worth of savings and efficiencies since 2010,” the letter reads, adding: “Despite this work to reach a balanced and sustainable budget, we have had to consult on a further £70m to £90m cuts programme for 2016/17 to 2018/19.”

The letter continues: “The cuts will significantly reduce the quality of life for many people in East Sussex. Our proposed cuts have to include preventative services which, while offering a short-term saving, will cost the taxpayer more in the medium term.”

The council argues that the allocation of funding did not reflect the “varying needs” of different areas and that East Sussex – which has a population of around 515,000 – is an ageing county, with the number of over-85s due to increase by 7.5% in the next three years.

“This not only shapes the profile of the residents we need to serve but also their ability to support themselves through action or finance,” says the letter.

“Some of the initiatives that the government seems to believe that councils like East Sussex can rely on to make our budgets sustainable are not realistic. There appears to be misunderstanding in relation to the nature of council reserves, the ability to make significant further efficiencies, the likely returns from further sharing of services and the ability to raise income.”

Osborne announced the decision to axe the central government grant to councils over the next four years in the comprehensive spending review in November, prompting the Local Government Association (LGA) chairman and Conservative peer, Gary Porter, to warn of a £4.1bn a year black hole in the budgets of local authorities.

Cameron was accused of hypocrisy in November after he protested about local authority cuts to public services in his Oxfordshire constituency. A leaked letter showed that Cameron had chastised Ian Hudspeth, leader of Oxfordshire county council, for considering cuts to elderly day centres, libraries and museums.

The prime minister said the proposals for possible cuts were disappointing and suggested the Conservative-run council should look at back-office savings and shared services between the emergency services instead.

A recent consultation on plans to cut £40m from East Sussex’s adult social care services prompted 32,000 people to sign a petition against the cuts, and an additional 14,000 people to sign a petition specifically against cuts to a mental health support service.

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

This could be good for our MP's health.

MPs may be forced to stop drinking because of Sharia law while they move out as part of £4bn Palace of Westminster revamp
Department of Health building is governed by the body of Islamic law
The lease was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme
MPs are searching for new home while Parliament undergoes £4bn repairs

By Matt Dathan, Mailonline Political Correspondent

Published: 11:57, 29 January 2016  | Updated: 12:51, 29 January 2016

MPs could be forced to stop drinking alcohol when they move out of the Palace of Westminster while it undergoes much-needed repairs over the next decade – because of Sharia law.

Earlier this week plans were revealed for MPs to be rehoused in a temporary chamber in a courtyard in the Department of Health, but it has emerged that the building is governed by Islamic law.

The building, located at 79 Whitehall, was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme in 2014.

Barred: MPs have been warned that drinking will be banned if they move to a temporary home in the Department of Health while Parliament undergoes maintenance

The move might discourage Nigel Farage from becoming an MP if alcohol is banned

Barred: MPs have been warned that drinking will be banned if they move to a temporary home in the Department of Health while Parliament undergoes maintenance

The proposal to move to the Department of Health is among the most popular because it is housed just 100 yards from the Commons entrance and many MPs' offices are in the adjacent building at 1 Parliament Street

The proposal to move to the Department of Health is among the most popular because it is housed just 100 yards from the Commons entrance and many MPs' offices are in the adjacent building at 1 Parliament Street

Revamp: Parliament is riddled with asbestos, leaking ceilings and rodents and was described as a 'death trap' by one close to the refurbishment plans

Under terms of the lease, alcohol is one of the activities banned on the premises, according to The Times.

A Whitehall official told the newspaper: 'It's true. If MPs want to use Richmond House they'd better give up any hopes it will include a bar.'

It is the latest stumbling block encountered by Parliamentary authorities as they search for a new home while a £4billion worth of repairs is carried out on the building, which is riddled with asbestos, leaking ceilings and rodents and was described as a 'death trap' by one close to the refurbishment plans.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3422642/MPs-moved-Westminster-barred-drinking-Sharia-law.html#ixzz3ydcBwr69
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Possibly, but on their meagre salary I doubt they could afford to pay normal pub prices.

Yes! I couldn't help myself.
Bob

Re: What do our politicians do.

Bob
Isaw our councilors on TV proud about working out how they can fine more people outside schools .Some ancient law supposed to stop riots.i can appreciate the need to stop dangerous parking outside schools as it is a pain in the bum .
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: What do our politicians do.

confused of hornchurch

Robert Benham, from Havering Council, said turning parking into criminal offence would work as a deterrent.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3426849/Parents-face-100-fines-criminal-prosecutions-park-dropping-children-school.html#ixzz3yxrxPu8u
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So what happened to the decriminalisation of parking 1991?
123