What do our councilors do.

Percy
As the last post like this has corrupted .I thought it might need a new one.
I see from a radio bradcast that our councillors now have even less to do.
In the past they were responsible for working out the precept that determined the amount spent on each pupil in the Borough.As some councils were better than others at making the case for funding it had got to the point where some pupils were getting £500 a year more spent on them than others.It seems that now the government has decided to pay schools directly using a standard formula.This is £31 Billion per year less going through councils.

Re: What do our councilors do.

OLD CODGER
Now we know why Meg has moved and can do the job at 3 days per week can we therefore expect Meg and other councillors receiving the extra allowances to reduce their income from the council coffers.
I expect not but give the councillors on basic money jus a small increase. It seems that they do more
work for their residents than those receiving the  highly inflated allowances.

Re: What do our councilors do.

confused of hornchurch

This is what they do in Liverpool.

What places crisis? £90m failed high school in Liverpool stands empty despite costing council £12,000 a day
Parklands High School in Speke, Liverpool, was closed two years ago
School shut because of low standards and dwindling pupil numbers
Parklands, built in 2004, is costing council a fortune due to its PFI lease
Stands empty as schools across UK complain of a lack of extra places

By Eleanor Harding for the Daily Mail

Published: 23:46, 7 March 2016  | Updated: 03:46, 8 March 2016

A school which will end up costing the taxpayer £90million to build is lying empty despite an escalating shortage of places across the country.

Parklands High School in Speke, Liverpool, is currently costing the council £12,000 a day because of the ‘millstone’ private finance deal struck to build it.

But, despite the enormous ongoing cost, the school was closed two years ago because of low standards and dwindling pupil numbers.

Expensive: Parklands High School is costing Liverpool City Council £12,000 a year to run due to its PFI lease

(That should read this is what it's costing the Liverpool council tax payer)

Empty: Parklands was built to cater for 900 pupils but had 172 making up its student body at time of closing

Empty: Parklands was built to cater for 900 pupils but had 172 making up its student body at time of closing

It could cater for some 900 pupils – but stands unused while across the country schools complain of a lack of funds needed to create extra places.

A baby boom fuelled by migration means tens of thousands of extra primary and secondary school places must be found across the country.

Parklands High School was built in 2004 using private sector cash, then leased back to the council under a 25-year private finance initiative or PFI.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3481268/What-places-crisis-90m-failed-high-school-Liverpool-costs-council-12-000-day-stands-empty.html#ixzz42K9pBAqM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: What do our councilors do.

Be nice to know what she's doing in those 2 days she's not around.
I've heard whispers but nothing concrete.
Full time money for part time work.
Nice if you can get it.

Re: What do our councilors do.

The legacy of Gordon "Prudent" Brown.
Buy now pay later and what costs £10 ends up costing £100 leaving councils and the tax payer to pick up the tab.
They used to call it the never never in the days hp started.

Re: What do our councilors do.

confused of hornchurch

In a nutshell, dalek.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Some call her 'Mystic Meg' because you need a crystal ball to know where she is and what she's doing.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Bill E

Re: What do our councilors do.

Bill E

Re: What do our councilors do.

Percy
Well it seems even less to do. With all schools to be forced to go Academy .The council will lose its last link with education except fining people for parking outside a school.maybe the academy's could charge parents to come into the schools to deposit children say £10 a week per child.this would stop the council in its tracks.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Percy
Well although the councils will keep the money from Business rates it now appears that the government is reducing the amount and taking the Dames hairdresser out altogether.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Percy
Even less again.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/03/25/16830/

Re: What do our councilors do.

confused of hornchurch

Rules to make sure we never find out.

UK councils 'issue thousands of gagging orders' to ex-workers
1 hour ago

 From the section UK

Signing agreement
"Gagging orders" have been issued to thousands of UK council workers as part of their payoff agreements, figures obtained by the BBC suggest.

Figures showed 17,571 settlement deals had been signed between 2010 and 2015, many including confidentiality clauses.

Cardiff Council has issued the most settlement agreements, with nearly 3,000 employees signing one since 2010.

The Local Government Association (LGA) said councils only made special payments to avoid costly legal action.

The government said guidance made it clear that confidentiality clauses should only be used in "extreme circumstances" - and not to hide the value or nature of any severance payments.

But the guidance is not binding and there is no legal restriction preventing local authorities from using them.

Meg Hillier, chairwoman of the Public Accounts Committee, is concerned about the use of "gagging orders"

In 2014, government spending watchdog, the Public Accounts Committee, highlighted the use of the agreements across the public sector and called on the government to monitor and curb their use.

Committee chairwoman Meg Hillier told the BBC she was concerned they were being used indiscriminately by some local authorities.

"There can be no excuse for silencing people who've got a legitimate concern," she said.

"If an employee is being told they can't talk about something and bought off, that's not an acceptable use of these settlement agreements."

Re: What do our councilors do.

bellend
we are paying for these "settlement bribes" we are paying to stop us finding out their true incompetence's

Re: What do our councilors do.

Percy
Perhaps some one could do an FOI request to find out how much we paid for confidendiallity payments in the last five years.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Norman
Banned User

the wankers will say that its not in the public interest to say!!!! good suggestion----

Re: What do our councilors do.

Norman

you could do the foi percy----hows about it

Re: What do our councilors do.

Percy
Will try but will not hold my breath waiting for a reply expect some delay.

Re: What do our councilors do.

Ah, bless them!

Residents in Dorset town told to stop writing letters to the local council because it is 'causing extra stress for staff'
•Residents have been told to stop writing to Ferndown Town Council
•Villagers were concerned about plans to reduced speed limit on main road
•Council’s traffic chairman said letters were ‘causing extra stress for staff’

By Andy Dolan for the Daily Mail

Published: 23:53, 3 April 2016  | Updated: 00:01, 4 April 2016

Dealing with complaints comes with the territory for many a council employee.

But residents in one country town have been told to stop writing to their council about its decision to reduce a speed limit - because the complaints are ‘stressing out staff’.

Ferndown Town Council, Dorset, received an influx of letters and emails after residents in the neighbouring parish of Longham felt their views had been ignored about plans to reduce the limit on a stretch of main road which runs between the two communities.

Residents in Ferndown, Dorset (pictured) have been told to stop writing to their council about its decision to reduce a speed limit - because the complaints are ‘stressing out staff’

In response, the council’s traffic working party chairman Cathy Lugg, wrote to residents to explain the decision but also asked them to stop writing to the town council and instead write to her directly as the volume of letters was ‘causing extra stress for staff’.
.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3521986/Residents-Dorset-town-told-stop-writing-letters-local-council-causing-extra-stress-staff.html#ixzz44qdgzmjy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
12