What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Lorraine Moss
I personally had terrible issues with living near one of these HMO's a few years ago.  There are now so many in Harold Hill, it will be interesting to see if this scheme helps.

The Landlords of these properties set the rent at the exact same rate as the Local Housing Allowance (LHA),
most of their tenants are in receipt of Housing Benefit so do not have to pay any contribution towards their rent.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

HaveringPerson
Well I didn't know that, but will this change when Universal Credit (urghh) is introduced as the LHA will be affected by other benefits the tenant is receiving?

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Lorraine Moss
I am dreading Universal Credit coming to Havering.  I work as a Welfare/Benefit Adviser now and this new system is having a terrible impact on people's lives.

At the moment the LHA rates still stand for privately rented properties.  If people are on ESA/JSA they should still get the LHA rate or full rent paid if they are Council/Housing Association.

I am also concerned because Universal Credit is all done online, claimants never have any letters sent to them and have to access their online journal.

Universal Credit also does not have the same disability premiums that ESA does.

The six week wait for first payment is totally unacceptable.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

HaveringPerson
It will be handled appallingly, as usual. Some years ago I applied for JSA. This could only be done online and you had to expect a phone call with an appointment (you had to be indoors basically 24x7 as if you didn't pick up the call you claim was invalid). I got no call so chased it up and was told that I did have a call and had to be in Hornchurch in 30 minutes time.

I just about got there and was given an appointment for some sort of group gathering that co-incided with a family member's funeral. They asked for a death certificate otherwise I'd have been sanctioned. Utterly disgusting.

I can only imagine what will happen with Universal Credit (even the name invokes the thinking that they are doing you a favour). :-(

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09f9wfp/inside-out-london-06112017

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

HaveringPerson
Thanks Lorraine, will look at it now

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Percy
Some of the peer group I help are on disability benefits having heard that Universal credit is due next February. They have had no notice or information. Looking at the citizens advice site it says if you can not work you can not apply for universal credit. Does this mean they will not be put on universal credit or will it just happen they are worried as the PIP debacle affected several of them badly and they can not go through another .

Hi Percy. Universal Credit is already in Havering for single people on jobseekers.  This postcode checker tells you when each area is going over.  However, this could be subject to change. https://universalcreditinfo.net/

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Lorraine Moss
If you scroll down the information on this link it states that many people (ESA, people who get tax credits etc) will not be changing over until 2019.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Hi Lorraine,

I was in an HMO yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The tenant (working single male) has a room 20 x 16 with a double bed, settee and storage area for all essentials. The room was upstairs in a large property with french doors onto a balcony overlooking a park. There was access to a large shared kitchen (3 upstairs tenants) and a large bathroom with shower and bath. There is also access to a large shared garden.

The rent was £450 per calendar month and included all electric, water and council tax. There was Wi Fi and the basic Sky TV package.

I don't think the concept of HMO's is a bad thing the problem is the type of landlords we appear to have in Havering. The HMO I was in was in Essex and the local council have been licencing HMO's since 2007, it appears in Havering that the local authority have failed to introduce licencing till the ones here became a social problem and that is 10 years too late.

As a result Havering council do not know how many HMO's exist in the borough, they "think" it may be as many as 1200 but they haven't got a clue.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Percy
There are many solutions to the housing shortage however it will not come from the private sector the big builders it is a political decision that will not be like by many .

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Phil Wailing
Problem is Percy the young man I was talking to was made homeless through no fault of his own and the HMO he is in now was a godsend and he loves living there. There is a real need for this type of low cost accommodation. It's the rogue landlords that need stamping on.

I totally agree but with 600.000 empty homes whole empty estates in the North east houses for sale for £30,000 in many areas. I would suggest that housing the people in them would be a start It means compulsory purchase it means setting up support mechanisms and infrastructure. Havering have 200 empty homes yet have only taken over 1 property in 4 years. I would advocate councils building small or temporary housing on public land they do not have to buy and renting them out socially. It however needs government not wimps.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Phil Wailing
I think that's what we had Percy but Thatcher sold all the council houses and stopped local authorities from building new.

Almost half of the ex-council houses are now in the hands of private landlords and on Harold Hill they have converted dozens of them into unregulated, unlicensed HMO's.

The housing crisis is totally self inflicted by government.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

Percy
No the government inflicted it on us not their own self serving newly invented political class.

Re: What Is It Really Like Living In a HMO?

I agree Phil, I had a friend that lived in a shared house in Chadwell Heath and it was immaculate.  There are some decent responsible landlords.  Unfortunately the bad ones seem to know their way around the system.

The fact that some of these tiny rooms are actually being allocated their own council tax band is basically agreeing that this type of sub standard accommodation is acceptable.