We came second from worst.

Re: We came second from worst.

Rastaozzie
Mine are a bit older I think. One of my girls has  slight learning difficulties which despite her best efforts makes the retaining of information difficult. I would hate to think that this would be the reason for giving her a thrashing. The help she got in her secondary school years was poor to non-existent , the school seemed only interested in improving their league table score so children which needed a bit more of a helping hand were left to flounder.

Re: We came second from worst.

I dont think multiculturalism necessarily comes into the equation here Fred.
What does is how the education system fits in the real world the methods of teaching the laughable curriculum the kids are learning and latterly how kids are made over reliant on technology ie the internet as an educational aid.
Then you have to look at the local set up and as has been raised by myself and Phil W on this thread who's in charge at the town hall.
A woman who ran down the children's care service at Bucks CC looks very much like she's repeating the same feat here in Havering with the so called learning and achievement dept.
Then there's the discipline in class and the limited powers teachers have to control unruly kids.
Then apathy with school heads interested in how good they look in their OFSTED reports pretending to care about the welfare of kids.
Believe me Fred this is but the tip of the iceberg but the fact remains Havering schools are the second worst in London and my message to Robert Benham cabinet member for education and Sue Imbriano so called interim head of learning and achievement is get it sorted or get out.

Re: We came second from worst.

Well put and I'd add the Leader's name to that thought - "shape up or ship out".

Re: We came second from worst.

I put that post on in the context of what I know of the ethnicity of the people coming into the Borough.As regards your comments about the state of the education in the Borough I couldn’t agree more,we have 4 grandkids in Havering,2 about to go to secondary school and it is a worry regarding their future education and prospects for later in life.

Re: We came second from worst.

MR H
Rastaozzie, i worked as a teaching assistant at Dycorts special school prior to its conversion to an academy.

The headmaster and the staff i worked with during my time there, would go the extra mile; not only for the children but for the parents and carers.

I was very fortunate on a number of occasions to work with Russell Brand's mum Barbara.

Barbara Brand was a very good friend to one of the teachers in my department; and she worked tirelessly for the kids in school for no payment. She loved all the kids and treated them as if they were her own.

Since i retired from school almost three years ago, i have formed an opinion that special needs children certainly do not matter. Its all about crazy targets, bull-shit paper work that no one will bother reading; and the constant interference and meddling by far removed Government agencies.

If we want our youngster's to thrive and learn, we must be prepared to spend more money on their education. Many of the parents  i came into contact with were jumping through hoops just to get a little more help for their kids. It certainly upset me a great deal to learn how ill many of the children were.

I do sincerely hope that your daughter receives more help. No parent should battle their guts out; its certainly not fair for yourselves or the child.
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Re: We came second from worst.

Rastaozzie
Thank you H. She did ok at Havering College as the teachers there seemed to go the extra mile for her. She is working now at a place where they understand she might need a bit more mentoring. You never stop worrying about them do you?

Re: We came second from worst.

Percy
I had a lot of contact with children with learning difficulties. Several were taken out of the school a month or so before the exams started and were not even entered into the exam lists thus increasing the apparent success rate of the school.

Re: We came second from worst.

MR H
All the kids need is a fair deal. For a country like ours with its supposed wealth i just don't see that happening.

Its ok if you have money, and can afford to pay extra for children's education. Many people don't have that luxury and that worries me.

mentoring, training and good caring teachers do make a difference, its all basic stuff and our Government should spend the money now to secure their futures tomorrow.

Its the least we should do for all the kids, and your daughter should have her chance along with her peers.

Good luck, and may she continue to make progress in the new year.
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.
12