We came second from worst.

confused of hornchurch
Shock horror. Robert Benham disappointed.

Breaking News
Annual Ofsted report reveals Havering’s secondary schools are the second worst performing in London
PUBLISHED: 10:00 13 December 2017 | UPDATED: 11:02 13 December 2017
Matthew Clemenson   Romford Recorder

Havering's secondary schools are performing below the national average. Picture: David Davies/PA
Havering’s secondary schools are the second worst performing in London, a shocking new Ofsted report has revealed.

Published today (Weds), the education watchdog’s Education, Children’s Services and Skills Annual Report reveals that just 63pc of Havering’s secondary schools were rated good or outstanding as of August 31.
Only Lewisham, with 57pc, has performed worse this year.
And the borough’s children are also progressing at a slower rate than the national average.
Havering’s Progress 8 figures, which detail how much a child improves between Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 4, are the joint second worse in London, alongside Bexley on -0.04.
Only Greenwich performed worse.
These were the only three boroughs across the capital to perform below England’s average of -0.03 in the last 12 months.
However, there is some good news.
Havering’s primary schools are the joint most improved in the city, with an eight percent improvement in the number of schools rated good or outstanding, meaning 92pc of the borough’s young children are in highly rated institutions.
Mike Sheridan, Ofsted London Regional Director, said: “The capital has its fair share of challenges, including schools, children’s homes and local authorities where young people are not well served – there remains too much variation in performance between the London boroughs.
“We want to see all children in London receiving high quality education and care – regardless of the area they live in.”
Mr Sheridan also pointed out that education across the city is currently going through a period of “significant change”.
He continued: “In some instances, we have seen weaker providers subsumed by good or outstanding colleges.
“I hope this will be a catalyst for improvement across the whole of these new organisations. This is not guaranteed, however.
“We will be watching carefully to make sure that where weaker provision has become part of something bigger, the new institution focuses on this necessary improvement.”
Havering Council’s cabinet member for children and learning, Robert Benham, admitted he was disappointed with the performance of the borough’s secondary schools but insisted there were positives.
He said: “Havering Council welcomes the publication of the Ofsted annual report for London, and is delighted that the significant work in the early years and primary sector is being recognised.
“We’re particularly pleased that Havering had the highest rate of improvement across the region (eight percentage points), when looking at the primary school inspections judged good or outstanding.
“While it was disappointing the secondary sector did not perform so well on the same measure, it should be acknowledged that Havering saw a big improvement (seven percentage points) when compared to 2016, whereas a number of other London local authorities saw a large decrease.
“It’s also important to recognise the majority of secondary schools in Havering (16 out of 18) are academy schools, and not run by the council.
“We hope an Improvement Board, established earlier in the year, will result in better outcomes for all pupils.
“We continue to work closely with the Regional Schools Commissioner and local schools to increase standards and performance in Secondary Schools.”

Re: We came second from worst.

bellend
if a child is educated in a second language it's brain develops faster earlier.

Re: We came second from worst.

Connie I'm not shocked at all.
I started a thread a while back asking what kids aren't learning in school when Little Miss D1 advised me she didn't know who was the British PM for the bulk of WW2 or certain capitals in Europe all basic stuff in my school days.
No the arseholes in the dept of education need to take the system back to the 50's and 60's to basic learning to the extent if needs be of classes of 6 and 7 year olds recite the times tables and the alphabet.
How many of us on this sight can still remember our tables for 2's to 12's and come up with the answer very quickly?
Now not a chance.
Ask a question now want an answer go to Google.
Ask a question then and it was the school library then the public library or if worse came to the worst a bus ride from Hackney churchyard on the no38 to Foyles in Charing Cross road.
Going back to subject matter we need to look who's in charge.
Benham is for sure not up to the job and the fanciful titled Assistant director of learning and achievement Sue Imbriano should be fired straight away.
Remember under her tenure Buckingham county council's childrens service went from good to wholly inadequate and we now have her awesome presence looking after the education of our youngsters.
My solution would be to send these two wasters packing and get someone in who will bring a common sense approach.

Re: We came second from worst.

confused of hornchurch

So you're less than impressed with these results?

Re: We came second from worst.

dalek1
Thats a fair assessment there Connie.
Little Miss D1's in her last year at junior school and Mrs D1 and myself visited the school she'll be attending from Sept next year on an open evening and my god if the head talks as good a job as he does I've nothing to worry about.
This school has gone from piss poor to outstanding in a short space of time but I did visit the history dept and the method of teaching in this subject does not hang together.
When I did history we studied a period from about 1812 to 1956 and now they do off in tangents talking about the gold rush in the states to methods of punishment in various periods in history.
Yeah that hangs together like a story not!

Re: We came second from worst.

August 2014

Children’s services boss Sue Imbriano has defended her £143,000 pay packet, despite her department being slammed by Ofsted inspectors. The director of children’s services, who is due to retire from her post in September after eight-and-a-half years in the job, is the second highest paid member of Bucks County Council.

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/council-boss-defends-143-000-salary-after-ofsted-lambasts-her-department-1-6229088

August 2015

Sue Imbriano - Acting Assistant Director - Learning and Achievement - London Borough of Havering

Re: We came second from worst.

Percy
Bring back phonics teach them to read then teach them maths. That and a good thrashing to set limits will see them through life.

Re: We came second from worst.

dalek1
Stop talking bollocks if a kids a slow learner through no fault of his/her own then a good hiding sends them further backwards not forwards!

Re: We came second from worst.

Percy
Not in my grammar school never any praise No medals or prizes no matter how well you did just the occasional house point. Public humiliation if you did not come up to scratch and never in all my time there did any teacher talk to you to find out how you were or even lived. Bullying endemic you were bullied and bullied others. Then at least one beating or a whack with a ruler or piece of wood a week. Did me no harm sorted out the wheat from the chaff.

Re: We came second from worst.

confused of hornchurch

Sounds just like my schooldays.

Re: We came second from worst.

Absolutely the teachers in my secondary school thought they could cane us into submission,soppy c...s,they were wasting their time,they didn’t have a Danny about inner S London I think somebody told them we was all relatives of the Richardson’s and were on our way into a life of crime.
Some people ain’t as quick as others on the uptake
and trying to beat it into kids ain’t the way to go as one particular teacher found to his cost,quietened him down a bit bless him.

Re: We came second from worst.

I often wonder if there's a hidden agenda here in appointing someone like Imbriano knowing her track record at Bucks CC.
You cant tell me the council didn't know her performance at her previous job or was she taken on for that reason to run down the council schools so they be offloaded.
Well she's sure doing a great job in wrecking our schools so far.

Re: We came second from worst.

I was regularly flogged at school and it did me no harm apart from psychological maladjustment and blurred vision. Oh yes, and difficulty passing urine sometimes.

Re: We came second from worst.

Ho-Hum
Couldn't wait to leave my secondary modern school...left without saying goodbye or looking back.

Re: We came second from worst.

Mark One
For once we agree Dee.

Re: We came second from worst.

dalek1
Well there's a first but I believe you also have kids still at school.
If thats the case then we both have justifiable cause for concern.

Re: We came second from worst.

The Leader's view? Well, the officers told Roger that Havering's an excellent place to be educated and that he shouldn't take any notice of press stories. So that's ok then.

Re: We came second from worst.

Phil Wailing
London Borough of Havering. Inspection of services for children in need of help and protection, children looked after and care leavers. Review of the effectiveness of the Local Safeguarding Children.

OFSTED report Report published: 9 December 2016

1. Children who need help and protection                              Requires Improvement
2. Children looked after and achieving permanence                Requires Improvement
2.1 Adoption performance                                                    Requires Improvement
2.2 Experiences and progress of care leavers                         Inadequate
3. Leadership, management and governance                          Requires Improvement

Inspection findings

Children’s social care services have experienced a significant increase in demand since 2013, due to a rapid change in the demographic of the local population, with families moving into the area from other London boroughs.

This is now stabilising, but has had a significant impact on the quality of social work services for children in need of help and protection. For example, the number of children on child protection plans more than doubled between 2013–14 and 2015–16.

Re: We came second from worst.

fred
Aah multiculturalism,how did that happen?Was we asked?
12