WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
No denying that Percy, but can I trump you with the following:
He was a driving force behind the liberal party's welfare reforms of 1908-11
At the Board of Trade he pioneered measures to reduce poverty and unemployment through state intervention
At the Home Office he introduced measures to improve working conditions in coal mines and shops.

A complex man indeed eh?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

dalek1
If Churchill was so beloved by the British people why did the Tories lose the election by a landslide in 1945?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
Well in my opinion you have to take account of the fact that back then people voted for a party and not who looked best in front of a camera (bacon sandwich anyone?)

I suppose that people, particularly the returned troops, believed that Labour were the best bet to rebuild the country following the war. That takes nothing away from his achievements during the war years, in fact his own approval rating stood at 83% in May 45. Also don't forget he was voted back in again a couple of elections later

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

MR H

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
Sorry H clue to what? Have i missed a point?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Zurich, Switzerland - I9th September 1946.

Winston Churchill

"We must build a United States of Europe."

White supremacist, racist, war criminal, mass murderer, Traitor.......

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
Keep going Addy, you've added two more, not far off a full house now, don't forget to shout bingo when you get there!!

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

confused of hornchurch

Warts and all... Oliver Cromwell?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
Well done CoH you are tonight's lucky winner. It was indeed the Lord Protector himself.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Much like today with the Tories stealing Labour ideas. In 1908 to 1911 the liberal party realised it was losing support and had to reform so it promised Lords reform never achieved and went from its century old Laissez faire Liberalism to a more populist centre ground promising reform and jam tomorrow. Little was realised as the war intervened and politics had shifted so far the Liberals were as they are now practically non existent so good old Winston had done a bunk gone to the Tories but lay low due to his disgrace as first minister of the admiralty and the near loss of the British fleet.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Whose statue stands outside the Houses of Parliament,must be spinning in his grave at the state of the country now.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
All pales into insignificance given his  performance 39-45, like i said cometh the hour cometh the man, and a good job for all of us that live in these 'ere parts. To paraphrase WC 'never have so many owed so much.....
A floored individual but the right man at the right time eh?

  Cue Admin .....  Racist white supremacist etc etc.......

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Where can I redeem those 2 points?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
Him and a lot of others besides Fred.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

That was something else I learned in school.

They will be sent to you by West Ham who have just given away three more this evening ☹

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

confused of hornchurch

Thank you, I guess they aren't worth more than a couple of Green Shield stamps then.

Never mind, it's one of the only competitions I've ever won.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

WWII in brief.....

When the Nazis invaded Poland on September 1, 1939, both Britain and France declared war on Germany and then promptly did nothing. Not only was this a betrayal of a trusted ally it allowed Germany to walk unscathed through Poland, Belgium and The Netherlands.

After the phoney war when Britain invaded France we witnessed the largest British military disaster in history. The completely bungled invasion resulted in 400,000 British and French troops being cut of and surrounded by German mechanised divisions and stranded on the beaches at Dinkirk.

Churchill hopelessly underestimated the strength of the German forces. As a result the British Expeditionary Force found they were fighting against overwhelming odds. British forces retreated to the harbour and beaches of Dunkirk where they were trapped, a sitting target for the Germans.

Churchill had nothing to do with the evacuation of Dunkirk, the entire operation was planned and executed by Vice Admiral Bertram Ramsay. Churchill’s only contribution to this unprecedented military disaster was to stand up in the House of Commons and say “we will fight them on the beaches”.

How WWII was won………

On the morning of December 7, 1941 the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the US naval base at Pearl Harbour, Hawaii. This act of aggression brought the USA into WWII. On 6th June 1944 the American Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D Eisenhower gave the go ahead for the largest amphibious military operation in history. Unlike Churchill this yank got it right….

Don’t forget the Soviet red army attacking Germany from the east…..

On 7th May 1945 the German army surrendered to American Lieutenant General Walter Bedell Smith.

On the 2nd September 1945 the Japanese surrendered to American General Douglas MacArthur

Game over……

Politicians start wars.

Generals and Admirals win them……

We just die fighting them….

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Mark One
In brief indeed Addy. You mearly highlight a series of events, some of which are inaccurate, and leave out the nuances in between, to what end I'm not sure. For example if Churchill had capitulated after Dunkirk as some wanted him to do how would have the US  entered into the fight against Germany, Italy, Austria etc. It was the Royal Navy that kept the Atlantic seaways open to enable convoys to come to these shores. Also in the first couple of years British ships escorted by the RN brought much needed supplies to Russia to enable then to continue to fight untill they where able to build up their war industry.

A few other things: The US was pushing for an invasion of France in 43 the British thought this much too early and unlikely to succeed and persuaded them to wait until the following year.

The German armies in northwest Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands surrendered to Montgomery at Luneburgh Heath.

Mistakes were made but you should not underestimate the contribution this country made to the fight against hitler and his allies. WC deserves all the accolades he gets for his ability to keep this country in the fight and the political dealings with the allied nations that helped secure victory.

The lesson in over now class, but for homework i would like you to........🙂

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Green Shield stamps?
Good luck finding somewhere that still takes 'em!
123456 ... 8