WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

dalek1
I was very pleased last week when Little Miss D1 came home from school and was talking about history one of my pet subjects and I asked her the years WW2 took place.
Her response was 1939-1949 and she had a strop when I told her it finished in 1945.
I asked her who was British PM for the bulk of the war and she didn't know.
I asked the years WW1 took place she didn't know that either.
She's 10 now and I remember when I was 6 all this basic stuff was drummed into us.
Ask the kids now the members of One Direction and the other soppy kiddie bands and they'll rattle them off the tongue.
One consolation for me she was able to name the Beatles!
With a bit of prompting from yours truly.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Percy
They learn History like what happened in the 1970s and 80s you are talking ancient history and they find that in google if needed.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Ahhh British history. I have always wondered why school kids are not taught 80% of black negro slaves were captured by the British and shipped to the colonies through the port of Bristol and half of the stately homes these children see were paid for by capturing and selling negros into slavery......

I always wondered why schoolchildren are not taught the other half of the stately homes were paid for by pit owners that had 11 year old children working 12 hour shifts down coal mines......

I have always wondered why schoolchildren are not taught during the Boer War (1899-1902), the British rounded up around a sixth of the Boer population (mainly women and children) and detained them in camps, which were overcrowded and prone to outbreaks of disease, with scant food rations. Of the 107,000 people interned in the camps, 27,927 Boers died, along with an unknown number of black Africans. The British said they had concentrated all their prisoners in one place hence the British invention of the concentration camp..... The same concentration camps that the British constructed in the Kenyan Mau Mau uprising....

I have always wondered why schoolchildren are not taught when peaceful protesters defied a government order and demonstrated against British colonial rule in Amritsar, India, on 13 April 1919, they were blocked inside the walled Jallianwala Gardens and fired upon by Gurkha soldiers. The soldiers, under the orders of Brigadier Reginald Dyer, kept firing until they ran out of ammunition, killing between 379 and 1,000 protesters and injuring another 1,100 within 10 minutes.  Brigadier Dyer was later lauded a hero by the British public, who raised £26,000 for him as a thank you.

I am utterly ashamed of British history - and so it would appear is the government that is why non of these  issues appear on the national curriculum......

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

No I'm not talking about ancient history Percy.
I'm 56 and WW2 finished 15 years before I was born.
In the big history of the planet it was  few heartbeats ago!
If kids want to learn ancient history they can visit the British Museum as I've done on numerous occasions  from the age of 7.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Is there a model of a concentration camp or a negro slave ship in the British Museum? Is there a model of the Jallianwala walled Gardens with 2,100 dead or wounded Indians lying in it on display at the British Museum?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

dalek1
Unlikely.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Touching. Brits aren't the only people with skeletons in cupboards. What brought on this emotional flood of guilt?

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

this is our rulers history, in 1850 the average death rate of a negro slave was 30, of the irish in the height of the potatoe famine 35, the working poor of london 26. we owe a lot to our 'betters' who by the way are still ruling us.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Admin on my original post I only mentioned the lack of teaching of BASIC history nothing more.
I didn't talk about British German US or French history to name a few.
If its any comfort I agree with you about several points you have raised but lets expand on a few.
India. In 1948 when we quit India for good the country split in two and two separate states were created India and Pakistan. When we'd buggered off Hindus in Pakistan headed for India and many Muslims in India headed for Pakistan.
En route there were numerous conflicts between the two factions which resulted in a million deaths.
South Africa. In 1948 a new government was voted in although if you are black coloured (ie mixed race
Indian Chinese etc) you cant vote. The result was a Boer nationalist party got in and started a policy which left other groups on the fringes of the country they were born in. I'm not in any way condoning our actions killing nearly 28,000 Boers in concentration camps but do two wrongs make a right?
I could go on about Palestine (yes to give it its correct name) but that maybe for another time.
You may like to know in a brief documentary on YouTube the empire viewed as the most tyrannical ever was!
The British.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Its ancient history to them. The first world war was 100 years ago The second 70 years ago.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

the blacks were captured by other blacks then sold to European merchants.I don't like some of our history but it happened no good being bitter and twisted about it,it ain't going to change,better to learn from it.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

We learned about the battle of Hastings and that was fought on 14th October 1066.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

fred
At my schools we were taught ancient history through to the end of Victoria's reign,you could find out more if you wanted by going to museums or the library,mind ours were open Monday to Saturday not like today.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

The second Battle of Hastings wasn't taught though....Mods and rockers 1964.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

fred
Nor Margate,came home in the luggage van on the last train to Victoria with a very friendly girl from Burnt Oak.......................amazing what comes out when your memorys jogged.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Personally HH I thought you were a Hell's Angel.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Rastaozzie
Bloody hell Addy you are carrying too much guilt. Yes things were not all sweetness and light back in Britain's past but as someone said once (not sure who but google it if you will) 'The past is a different country they do things differently there'.

There is much to be proud of in Britain's past too. Take your example of the slave trade , once emancipation happened Britain was the only country at the time to send its armed forces (the Royal Navy) to actively stop the trading in slaves by other nationalities.

You mention the concentration camps in South Africa, it was poor management rather then a deliberate act by HMG that resulted in so many deaths. As for the Mau Mau now they killed far more of their fellow Kenyans then the British ever did during the up rising.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Unbelievable......

Once Britain had made billions from selling human beings into slavery it sent its navy to stop others from doing the same... Oh right, that makes it all OK then....

Unbelievable.....

We mismanaged our concentration camps causing the death of tens of thousands more than intended... Oh that makes it OK then.....

I wonder why school children are never taught between 1925 and 1970 more than 130,000 children were sent to a “better life” in former colonies, mainly Australia and Canada under the child migrant programme.

The children aged between 3 and 14 were from deprived backgrounds and already in some form of social or charitable care. Charities such as Barnardo’s and the Fairbridge Society, the Anglican and Catholic churches and local authorities helped with the organisation of the emigration. Once at their destination the children were often told they were orphans to better facilitate their fresh start.

I wonder why school children are not told the parents, mainly single mothers, were forced to give up their child for adoption because of poverty or social stigma. The parent believed this was giving them best chance in life but were never given the details of where their offspring were sent to.

I wonder why they are not told the reality, for some of those children, was a childhood of servitude and hard labour at foster homes on remote farms, at state-run orphanages and church-run institutions. They were often separated from siblings and most were subjected to physical and sexual abuse.

I wonder why school children are not taught that between 12 and 29 million Indians died of starvation while it was under the control of the British Empire as millions of tons of wheat were exported to Britain as famine raged in India. In 1943, up to four million Bengalis starved to death when Winston Churchill diverted the wheat to British soldiers and countries such as Greece while a deadly famine swept through Bengal.

I wonder why children are not told when British prime minister Churchill was questioned about the Bengal famine in 1943, Churchill said:

“I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.”

I wonder why school children are not taught about Tony Blair and the September 2002 “dodgy dossier” and the claim Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction that could strike British territory within 45 minutes. Why they are not taught about the “sexed up” dossier and the death of international weapons inspector David Kelly. I wonder why they are not taught the British government entered into an illegal war that led to the death of over 150,000 Iraqis in 2 years, not to mention the British soldiers convicted of war crimes during this illegal war.

I wonder why school children are not taught about imprisonment without arrest, charge or trial “internment” and the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland. I wonder why they are not taught on 30 January 1972 in the Bogside area of Derry, Northern Ireland, British soldiers shot 28 unarmed civilians during a peaceful protest march against internment. I wonder why school children are not taught soldiers of the 1st battalion the parachute regiment shot 28 civilians, 14 fatally, while they were fleeing from the soldiers and trying to help the wounded.

British history.... Don't you just love it......

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

Me was no Hell's Angel or Mod Mr D1....Me was beatnik.

Re: WHAT KIDS AREN'T LEARNING IN SCHOOL

and again the arseholes that rule us then and now.