This won't end well.

confused of hornchurch

Spain on brink of CIVIL WAR

Catalonia declares independence as Rajoy calls for 'calm'
A NEW Spanish Civil War and blood on the streets was feared today as Catalonia officially voted to declare independence from Spain.
By Chloe Kerr
PUBLISHED: 16:17, Fri, Oct 27, 2017 | UPDATED: 16:18, Fri, Oct 27, 2017

Catalan parliament votes for independence from Spain.
The Catalan parliament pulled the rug from under the Spanish parliament by declaring independence ahead of Madrid's vote on whether to impose Article 155.
But the Government in Madrid refused to recognise Catalonia’s declaration and warned direct rule would be immediately imposed - by force if necessary.
The moves mirror the causes of Spain’s 1936 Civil War which claimed HALF A MILLION lives.
The Catalan parliament passed with 70 votes in favour, ten against and 2 blank ballots in the Catalan parliament in Barcelona.

Catalonia declared independence from Spain
Ministers stood, clapped and sang the Catalonian national anthem, Els Segador, immediately after the result was announced.
Thousands celebrated the vote in the streets as they heard the announcement, singing "Out, out, get the Spanish flag out" as they sprayed Champagne in jubilation.
Many deputies in the 135-seat chamber had walked out in protest before the vote took place. The assembly's legal team had warned that the vote would be illegal.
The Spanish government has called an emergency Cabinet meeting for this evening in the wake of the vote, they will vote on whether to impose Article 155 and seize control of the rogue region.
El Pais is reporting two meetings will take place. Today, the government will hold a Cabinet meeting to respond to the pro-independence challenge, La Moncloa sources say.
At this meeting a Constitutional Court appeal against the independence declaration will be approved.
The second meeting will adopt the intervention measures that have been authorized by the Senate under Article 155.
Before midnight tonight, the intervention of the regional government and the removal of its leaders will be carried out.

Re: This won't end well.

bellend
the EU will sort it.

Re: This won't end well.

Phil Wailing
That's true, I am sure they are on the phone right now to get instructions from Mrs Merkel.

Re: This won't end well.

Oh dear,that should make El Classico more interesting than usual.What does Marca have to say on it?

Re: This won't end well.

confused of hornchurch

Spanish prosecutors to file rebellion charges against Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont next week, a spokesman says.
A court will have to decide whether to accept the charges.
Under Spanish law, the crime of "rebellion" carries a maximum prison sentence of 30 years.

Re: This won't end well.

Yeah like the Catalans are going to take any notice of her!
During the civil war in Spain who bombed Barca and other cities to a pulp.
Yep the Luftwaffe as a testing ground for their air power in WW2.
If Merkel tries to stick her two penneth into this row my advice to her is dont go anywhere near Barca love.
The assassins bullets are still waiting!

Re: This won't end well.

confused of hornchurch

Frau Merkel won't go anywhere near the front line, she will stay firmly entrenched in her bunker.

Re: This won't end well.

fred
Yes those strings she is used to pulling might start slipping through her meddling fingers.As you say this could be an unfolding tragedy hopefully dialogue will win over violence,nice to see Spanish polititions are as useless as ours.

Re: This won't end well.

dalek1
Fred she's got shit loads of probs on her own doorstep.
Neo Nazi groups went from zero to 90 odd seats in the Reichstag!
And why?
Her open door policy on immigration has let in those who want to stir the shit up to get their own way and the silly cow thinks the German people will stand for it.
Remember 1934? She obviously cant.

Re: This won't end well.

This could be the start of the EU imploding.

Re: This won't end well.

Phil Wailing
Quite possibly.

Re: This won't end well.

confused of hornchurch

EU TURMOIL: Finland preparing to go against Spain and RECOGNISE Catalonia’s independence

FINLAND could be the first country to officially recognise Catalonia as a republic state, in a move that would put the Scandinavian country in direct opposition to the European Union (EU).
By Jon Rogers
PUBLISHED: 07:17, Sat, Oct 28, 2017 | UPDATED: 08:27, Sat, Oct 28, 2017

Catalonian separatists celebrate as independence is announced

The country’s MP for Lapland Mikko Karna has said that he intends to submit a motion to the Finnish parliament recognising the new fledgling country.
Mr Karna, who is part of the ruling Centre Party, led by Prime Minister Juha Sipila, also sent his congratulations to Catalonia after the regional parliament voted earlier today on breaking away from the rest of Spain.
Should Finland officially recognise the new state of Catalonia this will be yet another body blow to the EU which has firmly backed the continuation of a unified Spain under the control of Madrid.

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker warned today that “cracks” were appearing in the bloc due to the seismic events in Catalonia that were causing ruptures through the bloc.

Re: This won't end well.

bellend
so that's finland and Scotland backing the cats, all politicians want more and more power, they hate it when 'bits' of their domain break off.

Re: This won't end well.

confused of hornchurch

Catalonia independence: Spain takes charge of Catalan government
4 minutes ago

From the section
Europe

Spain's Deputy PM Soraya Saenz de Santamaria is now officially in charge of Catalonia
The Spanish government has stripped Catalonia of its autonomy and taken charge of its government.
The measures early on Saturday came after the Catalan parliament voted to declare independence on Friday.
An official state bulletin dismissed Catalan leaders and handed control of Catalonia to Spain's Deputy Prime Minister, Soraya Saenz de Santamaria.
Earlier, Spain's interior ministry took charge of Catalonia's police after firing senior Catalan police officials.
On Friday, PM Mariano Rajoy announced the dissolution of the regional parliament and the removal of the Catalan leader, and called snap local elections.
Demonstrations for and against independence went on into the night.
More are expected on Saturday, with a rally "for the unity of Spain and the constitution" to be held in Madrid.

Re: This won't end well.

Ho-Hum
Will guerrilla warfare ensue?  The Spanish government have the armoury but the Catalans may use hit and run raids, which most likely will be condemned as terrorism by the international community.

Re: This won't end well.

Percy
I would imagine a national strike non payment of taxes encouraging the Basques to do the same and nightly vigils in the streets.

Re: This won't end well.

Maybe there won't be an EU to leave in a few months! Jean Claude Spunker may have a thing or two to be worried about - no point in having a big fat snout if there's no fucking trough to dip it in.

Re: This won't end well.

fred
Now that wouldn’t that be nice

Re: This won't end well.

Now that would be interesting if the Basques kick off again!
There's another region that might want out the Celtic area's around Vigo.
Now an alliance between the Basques Celts and Catalans might be too much for Spain to cope with.
However as the Basque region bisects two countries France and Spain that could give the old Froggies a few probs as well.
Notice old Nic Sturgeon decided to recognise Catalunia.
Not that she has any power on the international stage.
Oh and that'll go down well in Brussels! Not!

Re: This won't end well.

dalek1
Its quite incredible really!
Spain is made up of a few regions and in South America there are three countries two Spanish and one Portuguese speaking who are the most diverse on the planet.
Look at Argentina for instance.
Its South Americas equal to the US in terms of diversity.
You thinks of the European group there are Argentines descended from it.
Mainly Italian and Spanish but there are German French Irish Polish British Croatian Jewish Swiss Austrian Scandinavian Dutch even Syrian Argentines and you hardly ever hear of any attempts of one group trying to split the country.
True they have a somewhat murky past with the dirty war in the 1960's and seventies but it was never on ethnic lines.
Perhaps Spain and all its regions should look at Argentina of how a multi ethnic country can live together and thrive!
12