The abuse centre Hornchurch

confused of hornchurch

Third pervert jailed for historical sexual abuse at St Leonard’s Children’s Home in Hornchurch
PUBLISHED: 10:41 13 October 2017 | UPDATED: 10:43 13 October 2017
Ralph Blackburn Romford Recorder

Paul Andrew Setchfield was convicted of 11 charges of non-recent child sexual abuse at the former St Leonard's Children's Home, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch. Picture: Met Police
A third paedophile has been convicted for historical child sexual abuse at a former Hornchurch children’s home in the 70s and 80s.

St Leonard's children's home, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch. Credit: Historic England
Paul Setchfield, 64, of Cromer, was jailed for nine years yesterday, for 11 counts of indecently assaulting a young girl and boy, both aged under 14, at St Leonard’s Children’s Home, in Hornchurch Road.
The pervert would take his victims into a bed in the staff “sleep over” room, and he also drove the girl to hotels in Kent and Chester, where he would sexually assault them.
Setchfield is the third person from the troubled care home to be imprisoned for historical sexual abuse – which has been the subject of a huge independent inquiry following the Jimmy Savile revelations.
In 2001, the home’s superintendent Alan Prescott and a former house parent Bill Starling stood trial for abusing children.
Prescott admitted indecently assaulting four boys at the home between 1970 and 1980 and Starling was found guilty of 19 offences, including two rapes, over a period of 20 years.
The charges against Setchfield relate to a period between October 1978 and November 1981, when he worked as a house parent at St Leonard’s.
The female victim, who is now in her 40s, contacted police in 2011 after being given access to her social services file.
In two police interviews, she said she was sexually abused by Setchfield at the children’s home when she was under 14 years old.
She explained that on two occasions Setchfield took her into his bed in the staff “sleep over” room, and also to his friend’s flat, where he would assault her.
Snaresbrook Crown Court also heard that Setchfield would drive her to motels in Kent and Chester for secret abuse.
The male victim, who is also now in his 40s, came forward to police in 2013 and said he had witnessed the abuse of the girl.
He stated that Setchfield had got into bed with him and sexually assaulted him, while he was living at St Leonard’s.
When Setchfield was interviewed by detectives in June 2012 and August 2013 he denied the allegations with pre-prepared statements.
He responded “no comment” to any questions.
Officers managed to corroborate the claims with a number of witnesses, and in May 2016 Setchfield was charged with 11 counts of indecent assault against children.
He was found guilty after a one week trial earlier this month, six years after the investigation first started.
Det Insp Debbie McCormack, of the Met’s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences (CASO) Command, praised “the victims in this case for having the courage to come foward and report the abuse and give evidence in court”.
She said: “I would urge anyone who has suffered abuse to come forward and contact your local police service.
“We take all allegations of this type extremely seriously, and we ensure that victims are supported throughout the process.”
Det Con Daniel Stevens said: “Setchfield continued to deny he was responsible for the abuse, even after being confronted with the compelling testimony from the two victims, along with corroborating witness statements.
“Although it has taken more than 30 years for the victims to gain justice, Setchfield has now been brought to account for his actions.”
Around 3,000 children were sent to St Leonard’s from a variety of London councils, between 1965 and when it closed in 1984.
It had 13 separate cottages, each housing up to 30 children, and its own hospital, gym, swimming pool and church.
Speaking after Prescott and Starling were jailed in 2001, Det Insp Daniel O’Malley said he feared around 70 children could have been abused at St Leonard’s.
He said it showed a “harrowing” tale of systematic child abuse at the homes.
If you would like to report any offences, call 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you would prefer to remain anonymous.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Ho-Hum
They walk among us.  We don't suspect them.  We may talk to them every day.  It's only when the lid comes of we know.  There is often a maggot in a perfectly good looking apple and we wonder how it got in there.  Nasty surprises are not palatable.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

MR H
Absolutely horrific and scandalous, Poor kids.
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Percy
Beyond words I remember the homes but never had any dealings with it.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

confused of hornchurch

If that's the council's definition of 'care' I think I'd rather go without.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

I'm surprised he wasn't invited to become an MP - he seems to have all the credentials.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Ho-Hum
Alan Prescott was a councillor and magistrate.  These perverts target by working their way into positions of power and then strike.  The vulnerable are nothing but prey.

Look, I'm a Christian and know they are in the Church BUT they are also in the Police Force, the Army, Navy, Air Force.  They are Football Coaches, Scout Masters, Swimming Instructors AND most certainly they represent us in Parliament.

They are in every community and every job and in every part of society.

Be careful who you trust....They walk among us.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

You're dead right HH we don't know who they are.
They  come across as just like  ordinary folk.
I still can't get over Dr Shah.
On face value the old fashioned gentleman GP.
In reality a predatory   monster.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

If memory serves me correct this home was not run by Havering council but either Newham or Tower Hamlets.
That aside I can't believe the local plod or anyone at the council didn't know what was going on.
If they did why did they stay silent?

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Maybe he was giving them one as well.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

The children went to local schools but were unable to tell any one there its a sad fact that in the 70s and 80s this was common in many homes and clubs. Scouts cubs and other local organisations. Bullying was also normal. Havering mind is still trying to help the victims.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Lorraine Moss
I know author Paul Connolly.  He wrote a book called "Against All Odds" about what it was like growing up in the St Leonards children's home.  It is so sad what these children had to go through, many as Percy said have never got over it.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Yes, it was Tower Hamlets, but it didn't stop a local Havering councillor abusing some of the children.

In 2000, authorities launched operation Mapperton an investigation into the TOWER HAMLETS run children’s home after many of the former residents killed themselves.
In 2001 former assistant director of social services, magistrate and LABOUR HAVERING COUNCILLOR ALAN PRESCOTT, of Hornchurch was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting indecently assaulting four boys in his care between 1970 and 1980 while he was superintendent at the institute.

Maybe they were "all in it together".

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

dalek1
Wasn't a Havering Tory councillor caught with child porn images on his computer in recent years?

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

Councillor David Charles. Carried on claiming councillor allowances for 2 years after his arrest....

http://liarsbuggersandthieves.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/conservative-councillor-admits-child.html

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

confused of hornchurch

‘We were jealous of the kids getting abused’: Former resident of notorious Hornchurch children’s home reveals horrifying assaults

PUBLISHED: 17:06 18 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:06 18 October 2017
Ralph Blackburn Romford Recorder

Fitness instructor, Paul Connolly used to live at the St Leonard's Children's home in Hornchurch.
“St Leonard’s should have been idyllic,” says Paul Connolly, a resident of the former Hornchurch children’s home where sexual abuse was rife.

Former St Leonard's children's home in Hornchurch. Picture: Historic England
“All these cottages in the countryside for inner city boys and girls. It even had its own swimming pool. Idyllic except for the staff.”
The staff Paul is talking about include former house parent Bill Starling, jailed for 14 years in 2001 for a string of sexual assaults over a period of 20 years.
The paedophile was in charge of Paul’s house, and was also convicted of two rapes against children.
St Leonard’s Children’s Home Superintendent Alan Prescott, who was also a Labour councillor and magistrate, was also jailed at the same court case for indecently assaulting four boys between 1970 and 1980.
Paul Setchfield, jailed for 11 historic child sexual abuse offences at former St Leonard's Children's Home in Hornchurch. Picture: Met Police
And on Friday former carer Paul Setchfield, 64, of Cromer, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment for 11 counts of sexually abusing a young girl and boy between 1978 and 1981.
“I knew of him, but he wasn’t in my cottage so I didn’t know him that well,” Paul told the Recorder.
“He always seemed quite affable.”
Paul, 55, was sent to St Leonard’s, in Hornchurch Road, when he was just eight years old in 1970.
The children’s home housed around 3,000 youngsters in care from east London boroughs between 1965 and 1984.
And it has since been proved that systematic sexual abuse was rife.
While Paul wasn’t sexually assaulted, several of his friends were, and he says he suffered physical violence and mental torture during his 12 years at the children’s home.
“On my first night I wet the bed, as lots of children in care do, and I was dragged out and put in a bath full of bleach,” he claims.
He also says he was beaten regularly and thrown off a balcony.
“This sounds crazy, but we were actually sometimes jealous of the kids getting abused, because they got treats and special privileges,” Paul explained.
He added that one of his best friends tragically took his own life after suffering sexual abuse at the children’s home.
Paul, who lives in Brentwood, is now a core participant in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, and he is also making a film about St Leonard’s.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjryLWy2frWAhUKBBoKHXoeAwoQFggyMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukcolumn.org%2Farticle%2Fmelanie-shaw-given-two-years-following-secret-court-hearing&usg=AOvVaw0mhE9L_bv09NHqArTYltK1

Remember the brave whistle-blowers who try and raise awareness but end up being silenced.
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Re: The abuse centre Hornchurch

I should think so too!

Councillors demand ‘secret documents’ are released about former Hornchurch children’s home rife with sexual abuse
PUBLISHED: 17:11 19 October 2017
Mike Brooke and Ralph Blackburn   Romford Recorder

Former St Leonard's children's home in Hornchurch. Picture: Historic England
Tower Hamlets councillors are calling for a raft of documents relating to sexual abuse at St Leonard’s Children’s Home to be released to the public.

The east London local authority ran the notorious Hornchurch home from 1965 until it closed in 1985.
Last week Paul Setchfield , 64, of Cromer, was jailed for nine years on 11 charges of indecently assaulting a girl and boy, both under 14, at the home in Hornchurch Road, between 1978 and 1981.
In 2001, the home’s superintendent Alan Prescott and a former house parent Bill Starling stood trial for abusing children.
Prescott admitted indecently assaulting four boys at the home between 1970 and 1980 and Starling was found guilty of 19 offences, including two rapes, over a period of 20 years.
“These are issues from many years ago, but council officers still don’t want anything published,” Tower Hamlets Tory group leader Cllr Peter Golds said.
“The Rahman administration and other administrations have kept a lid on this scandal over the years and have refused to publish reports.”
A Freedom of Information request for a 50-page document about St Leonard’s was refused in 2014, Cllr Golds claims.
Paul Connolly was sent to St Leonard’s by Tower Hamlets when he was eight.
“On my first night I wet the bed, as lots of children in care do, and I was dragged out and put in a bath full of bleach,” he claims.
He also says he was beaten regularly and thrown off a balcony.
Paul received £16,000 in compensation from Tower Hamlets Council, in recognition that it had breached its duty of care.
He is now a core participant in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA).
A Tower Hamlets spokeswoman said: “The abuse that went on at St Leonard’s home was dreadful and damaging.
“We are unable to release the reports into this historic case, as the information is too detailed and could lead to individuals being identified, even with names redacted.”
“IICSA is also looking at the St Leonard’s children’s home as part of its wider investigation into how victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation were treated, and we are engaging fully with them.”