Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

ChasB
The Towngate Theatre has a bar and restaurant or if Wetherspoons is your thing, there's one within spitting distance of the theatre for a pre-show meal.
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
The council should enforce the law that means if you concrete over your garden it must be able to drain away by its porosity not into a drain but into the sub soil it would be a nice little earner for them.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

ChasB
I believe you now need planning permission to turn your front garden into a drive. You have to show that you have proper drainage.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Of course, there's little point painting yellow lines and issuing parking permits if everybody wants to park off-road. Where would the council get its revenue?

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Somebody, can't remember who, told me now we have Google earth they can see from the original photos that 6 square miles of front gardens have been small block paved in the London Boroughs and they put it all down to thieving councils and their parking highway robbery.

Ever wondered why we get more and more flash flooding.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

bellend
block paving is reasonably porus, as it is laid on type one aggregate and sharp sand whereas concrete, tarmac or crazypaving is not porus. but your point is valid.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Britain's largest carmaker Jaguar Land Rover crashes to record £3.6billion annual loss as it is hit by slumping diesel sales and falling demand in China
Firm slumped from a £400m profit in previous financial year due to falling sales
Weakness in Chinese car market was blamed for 4,500 job cuts earlier this year
Fewer motorists are buying diesel engines which form majority of JLR products
By Dianne Apen-sadler For Mailonline
Published: 14:58, 20 May 2019 | Updated: 15:42, 20 May 2019

Jaguar Land Rover has posted a £3.6billion annual loss in its full year annual report today as a slump in diesel sales hammers the car maker.
Britain's largest carmaker - owned by Indian firm Tata - slumped from a £400million profit in the previous financial year as it was hit by the economic slowdown in China.
Jaguar Land Rover, which announced 4,500 job cuts earlier this year, generated pre-tax profits of £120million in Q4 ending March 31, 2019.
However, there was no recover from the £3.3billion writedown suffered in the third quarter.
Weakness in the Chinese car market, which was cited as a key reason for job losses, resulted in a 5.8 per cent decline in sales to 578,915 vehicles in the region.
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
The Chinese are only buying electric cars they get a huge subsidy and most of them are made in China. Share a car with three families and they can drive for virtually nothing.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Ford axing 7,000 jobs including hundreds in UK
The car maker has revealed the global impact of a series of cost-cutting measures that include operations in Europe.

Monday 20 May 2019 16:55, UK

Image:
Ford employs 13,000 people in the UK including at its engine plant in Dagenham

Car giant Ford has announced that it is cutting 7,000 white collar jobs worldwide, with up to 550 in the UK expected to be among the positions axed.
The US manufacturer said the cuts represented 10% of its global salaried workforce and 20% of its management positions.

Ford said about 2,300 of those affected were employed in the US.
It has previously disclosed that it is cutting more than 5,000 jobs in Germany, including salaried as well as hourly and temporary staff.
The UK job cuts - affecting its technical centre at Dunton, Essex - had also previously been reported.

Ford said: "We understand this is a challenging time for our team, but these steps are necessary to position Ford for success today and yet preparing to thrive in the future."

Ford had revealed in January that the Dunton site would be impacted by the consolidation of its UK headquarters.

Those cuts were in addition to the 400 going at Ford's Bridgend engine plant.
Ford employs 13,000 people in the UK, including the Bridgend site and another engine plant in Dagenham.
Globally, it has embarked on a multi-billion pound cost-cutting programme as well as reducing the number of vehicles in its line-up while introducing more electric and hybrid options.
Like many of its rivals, Ford has been caught out by a fall in the sale of diesel cars after VW's emissions cheating scandal.
Steven Armstrong, the chairman of Ford Europe, told Sky News last month that the company would have to take a "long hard look" at its UK operations in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
The latest jobs announcement came on the same day that Britain's biggest car maker Jaguar Land Rover reported a record £3.6bn annual loss.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

British Steel could collapse TODAY: Firm is on brink of collapse with 25,000 jobs on the line as it struggles to secure government loan
Britain's second-largest steel producer may not get government loan it needs
Could mean 4,000 redundancies at Scunthorpe plant and more than 20k others
Comes after British Steel gave assurances on its long-term financial future
By Lara Keay For Mailonline
Published: 01:05, 21 May 2019 | Updated: 01:08, 21 May 2019

British Steel is on the brink of collapse as it appears unlikely to secure a government loan to keep it afloat putting nearly 25,000 jobs at risk.
The UK's second largest steel producer is preparing for insolvency as last-ditch attempts to save the company did not appear hopeful yesterday.
If the talks fail it could mean 4,000 redundancies at the firm's large plant in Scunthorpe and 20,000 others across the country, Sky News reports.
The company, its lenders and Whitehall officials have until Tuesday afternoon to agree a deal, at which point it could go into administration.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Tesco stops mortgage lending after 7-year trial
You can no longer pick up a house alongside your frozen pizza and loo roll at the checkout - after Tesco announced it would stop offering mortgages from today

ByJames AndrewsMoney Editor
07:42, 21 MAY 2019

Tesco is pulling out of the mortgage market after the supermarket's personal finance arm said it would no longer offer home loans.
Since 2012, Tesco Bank has sold more than 23,000 mortgages to customers - worth a total of £3.7billon.
It's now possible these mortgages will be switched to someone else, as the bank said it's looking to offload the loans it has already made during the bank's 7 year experiment with home lending.
Tesco Bank chief executive Gerry Mallon said: "In recent years, challenging market conditions have limited profitable growth opportunities.
"Our focus is on how we best serve Tesco customers and align our resources effectively to their needs while ensuring that our offer remains sustainable in the long term."

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Retail crisis set to wipe billions off value of landlords’ portfolios

Louisa Clarence-Smith
May 21 2019, 12:01am,
The Times

Rental income is declining as struggling retailers fall into administration or use insolvency procedures to reduce rents

Four of Britain’s largest listed property companies could have £6 billion in total wiped off the values of their portfolios over only three years because of pressures on the retail sector, a broker has warned.
Liberum has forecast a 25 per cent decline in the retail property valuations of British Land, Hammerson, Intu and Landsec, including the 11 per cent declines already reported this year.
The quartet have a combined portfolio of British retail property valued at about £23 billion. They own thousands of shops, shopping centres and retail parks across the country, from the Trafford Centre in Manchester to Meadowhall in Sheffield to Bluewater in Kent.
The landlords are recording significant declines in retail property valuations, driven by falls in rental income.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

bellend
you forgot the bit about him being an irritataing little shit.

Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
I wonder how much of his fortune he will keep he has nearly a football team load of children
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

He is,perhaps kids can eat what THEY like instead of some plastic cockamee telling them what’s good for them,get some brawn and bread and dripping down em,and a bag of chips with a pennurth of crackling never done millions of us old farts any harm,if there’s dirt under their nails all the better give em an immune system as well.
Better to suffer from a loss than to suffer every day for not having anything to lose

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Banks to go after Jamie Oliver personally as restaurant empire collapses with 1,000 jobs lost

Oliver Gill
21 May 2019 • 8:10pm

Banks and one of Britain’s biggest food suppliers are poised to pursue Jamie Oliver over debts after the chef’s empire of restaurants collapsed.
The Daily Telegraph understands Mr Oliver provided personal guarantees to lending giant HSBC and distributor Brakes after a previous restructuring, allowing them to claim against him personally for any unpaid bills.
Administrators were called in as Mr Oliver’s portfolio of restaurants failed, costing 1,000 jobs and leaving HSBC tens of millions of pounds out of pocket. A further 300 jobs are at risk.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Phil Wailing
The good news just keeps on coming.

M&S sales and profits fall as store closure plan adjusted.

The end is neigh.
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
What the end is a horse neigh or nay?
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

1 ... 6566676869