Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
Yes passed before we can afford one but rented when needed will be the norm. Pick up your phone open the app and summon it to your door get in tell it where to go get out and enjoy no stress. Return service the same.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

That's no good unless the renter is still liable for the fines if the autopilot cocks up. Where's all the fine revenue going to come from?
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
I imagine all fines and revenue will come from road use tax. All cars petrol or leccy will either come with tracking or have to pay for it to be fitted. As for speeding it will not happen there was no way to tell how fast you were going in the one I tried there was no dashboard no instruments nothing only the app on your phone telling you where you were.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Their called cabs
Better to suffer from a loss than to suffer every day for not having anything to lose
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
Hansom Cabs not really even the modern cabs are not like Hansom cabs. I expect they will come up with another name.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch
Blame Brexit uncertainty (not poor management)

The Sun, A News UK Company
HOLIDAY HELL Thomas Cook risks collapse plunging summer holiday bookings into turmoil as firm loses £1.5bn
The UK's oldest travel company has seen its value plummet from £2.2bn to £180m in one year
By Mark Hodge
18th May 2019, 12:45 pm Updated: 18th May 2019, 1:11 pm
THOMAS Cook risks collapse after its share price tumbled another 40 percent yesterday after losing nearly £1.5billion.
The UK's oldest travel company is struggling with massive debts and has seen its value plummet from £2.2bn to £180m in one year.

The good news is that holidaymakers will not be left out of pocket if the firm sells, splits or in the extremely unlikely event of closure
On Thursday, the firm issued a fresh profit warning and reported a half-year loss of almost £1.5bn after a goodwill write-off of £1.1bn, reports The Times.
Analysts at investment bank Citigroup yesterday branded their shares "worthless" and said they should be marked at zero.
Thomas Cook, which served 22 million customers last year, has debts of around £1.25bn.
News of the company's problems has caused panic among some of its customers.
On the Thomas Cook Facebook page, one traveller posted: "I'm flying to Menorca six weeks today. I hope the financial situation will be settled soon.
SHARES 'WORTHLESS'
Another said: "I just booked for next May to Turkey I really hope your not going into liquidation.
A third wrote: "Are you going into administration? because I have a holiday booked in October."
The company has struggled in recent years to keep up with changing habits of customers in the advent of the internet bookings including agregator sites which offer low prices for flights and hotels.

However, Thomas Cook boss Peter Fankhauser has blamed Brexit uncertainty and last year's heatwave for the downturn in business.
Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
It might be the Eco warriors only having one local holiday a year. I have decided that I will try to avoid using air transport they treat you like cattle and unless long haul its not a lot faster.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Yes, I'm going green, instead of flying abroad with the resulting emissions I've decided to take my car on a touring holiday around Britain.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

fred
Make sure you find out where all the loin cloths live so you can stop and check the Rev Meter will hit 8000 for a few minutes,one of the head nut jobs has got a cafe in Stroud idle your gas guzzler outside there for a couple of hours and see what the old bag has to say,tell her your waiting for Jeremy Clarkson.
Flying ain’t what it used to be,but it’s still the quickest way to get a thousand miles from this madhouse
Better to suffer from a loss than to suffer every day for not having anything to lose

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Hotel Voucher Shop: 6,000 holidaymakers out of pocket as travel firm goes bust
EXCLUSIVE: Company which allowed customers to buy holidays as gifts has collapsed — and it now owes £2.3million

By Stephen Hayward
19:23, 18 MAY 2019

Hotel Voucher Shop boss Chris Orrell (Image: Vicki Couchman)

Thousands of holidaymakers have been left in the lurch by an online travel firm going bust.
Hotel Voucher Shop, which allowed customers to buy holidays as gifts, has collapsed owing £2.3million.
The firm sold vouchers worth up to £1,000 which could be put towards the cost of trips and claimed to have contracts with 150,000 hotels.
But last week the company, run by businessman Chris Orrell, 40, went into voluntary liquidation leaving 6,000 customers out of pocket.
Travellers – many of whom were given the vouchers as wedding, birthday or retirement presents – claim they have arrived at destinations to find bookings cancelled.
Faye West, 44, and husband Charles, 48, booked three nights at the five-star Ritz Carlton Hotel in Berlin with a £500 gift voucher.

The couple, from London, turned up on Charles’ birthday to be told the booking was void.
Charles and Faye's birthday celebration trip was ruined (Image: Faye West)

Faye said: “We were told: ‘No, you haven’t got a room’. We felt very cheesed off.”
Last week Faye confronted Mr Orrell at a creditors’ meeting called to wind the firm up. She said: “I hope the liquidator supports a full investigation.”
Married couple Emma and Dana Wilson, of Aberdeen, booked a weekend in Palma, Majorca with a £275 gift card given to them as a wedding present.

Teacher Emma, 36, said: “When we turned up the hotel had never heard of Hotel Voucher Shop.
“We paid 280 euros ourselves and since then no one from Hotel Voucher Shop has answered our phone calls, emails or Facebook messages.
“The company director must have known it was in trouble.”
Mr Orrell, who heads a string of firms based in Hemel Hempstead, Herts, did not respond to requests for comment.
Liquidators Leonard Curtis said the firm had been running at a loss and was unable to meet contractual obligations.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

M&S speeds up its plan to shut 100 stores with an 11% fall in pre-tax profits forecast despite turnaround efforts
By City & Finance Reporter for the Daily Mail
Published: 21:31, 19 May 2019 | Updated: 22:16, 19 May 2019

Marks & Spencer is speeding up its store closure programme with plans to shut 100 by the end of 2020 – two years ahead of schedule.
The shift in gear emerged ahead of its annual results later this week, which are expected to reveal an 11 per cent fall in pre-tax profits to £519 million – the third consecutive year of decline.
Since the end of March, M&S has closed 14 shops, bringing the total over two years to 63.
While speeding up the remaining closures will take a chunk out of profits, bosses believe it will get the High Street stalwart back on firmer footing.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Post Office network 'is close to collapse' with 2,500 branches set to close or downsize in next 12 months as swingeing Government cuts bite
Up to 2,500 small post offices will close of downsize in the next 12 months
Financial hardship is to blame, says the National Federation of Sub-Postmasters
Post Offices have seen income fall from £576million in 2004-5 to £99million
By Tom Witherow Financial Correspondent For The Daily Mail
Published: 00:32, 20 May 2019 | Updated: 07:14, 20 May 2019

The Post Office is ‘beyond tipping point’ as cuts in Government funding threaten its future, it was claimed last night.
MPs will tomorrow be told that the network is close to collapse.
Up to 2,500 small post offices will close or downsize in the next 12 months because of financial hardship, says the National Federation of Sub-Postmasters.
Post offices have seen income from Government services fall from £576million in 2004-05 to £99million in 2017-18.

Up to 2,500 small post offices will close or downsize in the next 12 months because of financial hardship, says the National Federation of Sub-Postmasters

Most close because the sub-postmaster, the private business people running smaller branches, can no longer make a living.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Phil Wailing
Spent the weekend down at one of my kids places and we were out and about for most of it.

Went to Festival Leisure Park, Pips Hill retail Park and Mayflower retail park - All have free parking and were rammed.

The councils car park in Basildon town centre had the pay and display machines taken out 3 weeks ago and the manager of New Look said takings are up 20% since those machines were taken out. The bad news is they are being replaced with cashless machines.

Far from doom and gloom it seemed like the middle of a boom.

Takes me 15 mins to drive to my daughters (depending on the Nevergreen Lights) - Think I will be shopping in Basvegas after 3rd June.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

bellend
i love the basildonk sign on the 127, i can't pass it without singing ' hooray for basildon '

Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
I went to the flower festival at Chelmsford free parking but an entry fee to get in. Lots of cars they allowed dogs so that is why we chose it. Nice day out but did not buy a lot it seemed very expensive compared to local shops or internet.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Phil Wailing
My kids plead with me to move away from Romford.

I had to go to Marshalls Park last week and I couldn't believe what a scummy hole that is now. Havering council have yellow lined every road so the residents have all concreted over their front gardens to enable them to park. There aren't 2 the same and the place looks like Soweto. All the pavements look like crap and the roads are a grey and black patchwork quilt.

The Romford Tory's are gobbing it off they are spending £40 million on Haverings roads and pavements, after driving round Marshalls Park I would suggest they need £400 million.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

perk go to the dickens christmas thingy they put on the two thursday evenings before christmas, i mostly go it's really good they close the main street and have bands &sidshows all the shops open not for business but for free drinks and food. brilliant.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

ChasB
Me and the other half often shop at Basildon. 15 minutes down the road from Upminster, quicker than getting to Romford.
We also go to a lot of shows at the Basildon Towngate Theatre. Only £1 to park after 6:00pm and the theatre's a couple of minutes walk away. The prices are a lot cheaper than the Queens Theatre as well.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

bellend
never thought of that chas, will try.

Bob

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Bob
Usually do go to the Christmas at Rochester weekend
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

1 ... 646566676869