Still no "green shoots of recovery"

1 ... 45678910 ... 48

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

Or George's...

Economic recovery in doubt as figures show UK workforce produces 20% less than other major economies

‘Bad news’ for British productivity leads to questions over George Osborne’s claims we are in ‘early stages of recovery’

Adam Withnall

Thursday 19 September 2013

The productivity of the British workforce is lagging behind the rest of the world by the worst margin in almost two decades, according to official figures.

Despite George Osborne’s claims that the UK economy is in the “early stages of recovery”, figures released today show that the Office for National Statistics’ (ONS) key measure of productivity – output per worker – puts Britain nearly 20 per cent below the average for the rest of the world’s major industrialised economies.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Independent man
Not surprised C.O.H if you think about it how can the economy be on the up,when the bank of england are spending £billions on quantitative easing.In their desperation to stimulate the economy Gidion is printing pretend money,he had to do that because nobody with half a brain would buy govenment bonds.So Gidion gone for quantitative easing and its not working,if it was working inflation would not be rising and it is and the Banks would be leanding money and the banks are not leading money.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

One in three Britons struggling to feed themselves.

A Which? survey out today reveals that rising grocery bills are causing real hardship

 Kashmira Gander

Sunday 22 September 2013
The rise in the price of food is an extra source of stress for households who are already struggling to make ends meet, new research has revealed.

A survey by the consumer group Which? shows that as incomes stagnate, eight in 10 people in Britain are concerned that food is too expensive, and more than half worry about how they will pay for their groceries in the future if prices continue to climb.

The findings come at a time when the cost of food has grown over and above general inflation by 12.6 percentage points over the last six years, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Since last year, the price of food and alcoholic drinks rose by 3.9 per cent on average. However, in the same period, incomes rose by only 2.1 per cent, with three-quarters of consumers saying their income has stayed the same or decreased in the last year. The result of this is that three in 10 people now struggle to feed themselves or their family.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

How ironic!

Pawnbroker scrambles to secure cash lifeline.

Ben Marlow and Simon Duke  Published: 29 September 2013

The falling price of gold has knocked two-thirds off the company’s value since 2011 to £70mThe falling price of gold has knocked two-thirds off the company’s value (Ian Dagnall)

BRITAIN’S second-biggest pawnbroker is to be rescued with an emergency injection of cash after being laid low by spiralling debts and the collapse in the gold price.

Albemarle & Bond, whose shops are a fixture on the high street, is understood to be finalising a fundraising this weekend. A bailout could be announced as soon as tomorrow alongside its delayed annual results, sources said.

A&B may need to raise between £15m and £20m to bring its debt pile under control. Its borrowings stood at £50.3m at the end of December, but are thought to have increased since then.

Perhaps they could pawn something?

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

The Ear

Oh! I haven't seen any yet, I must be walking around with my eyes shut.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

For all the absence of any big economic or financial shocks for the best part of two years, substantial accidents can still happen, in a global economy that remains structurally flawed in a serious and substantive way”
End Quote image of Robert Peston
Robert Peston

Business editor

Structurally flawed eh? Kinda says it all.

Yes, I suppose I'm being a bit negative, perhaps I should 'get on board' and apply for a couple of mortgages on Dave's new subsidised house buying scheme.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

George Osborne's latest catchphrase.

George Osborne says "the sun has started to rise above the hill"

It does that every day doesn't it?

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Phil Wailing
Great - Romfordian's all right - What about the rest of us that dont live on the Hill.

Perhaps it's all part of the Harold Hill Ambitions project?

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

confused of hornchurch

We'll all be working for nothing some time soon.

Museums forced by cuts to replace professional staff with volunteers as school visits drop.

Research finds nearly half of 120 museums surveyed had increased number of unpaid interns and volunteers required to maintain their institutions

 Cahal Milmo   Author Biography

Tuesday 01 October 2013
Museums are being forced by cuts to reduce their numbers of professional staff and increasingly rely on volunteers to man their collections.

A survey of more than 120 museums and museum services across the country found that more than a third had cut their paid staff while nearly half had increased the number of unpaid interns and volunteers required to maintain their institutions.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

The Ear

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Independent man
No,the cost of living is rising faster than ever,dave is going to look after the fat cats,he said as much at last weeks tory bash.
Its obvious whats going to happen the posh boys will create a mini boom around about election time and fiddle the figures enough to get the plebs to vote for them.
Lots of fools will fall for daves 5 card trick and the election will be a close run affair.
Daves biggest problem is UKIP if he gets them onside,the tories can win.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Yes I heard the boom in car sales is based firmly on the ease of getting cheap or free finance.When asked why they dont supply the cars cheaper instead of losing money on free finance the answer was that it would depress the price of second hand cars and people need to think their car is worth enough to part exchange for a new one.
Cheap finance is based on the old who saved for their retirement being paid no interest for their savings and it costing them money to save, with interest at near zero per cent and inflation at something like four per cent.
Its a house built on sand a bubble waiting to burst. In Europe car sales are at an all time low and they are dumping cars on us.

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Romfordian
"Great - Romfordian's all right - What about the rest of us that dont live on the Hill"
Where did this come from Phil I don't recall posting that I am alright
Have you confused me with another poster on EAR
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

"the sun has started to rise above the hill"

Re: Still no "green shoots of recovery"

Independent man
Yes and Dave catch phrase is we are doing this to help the hard working people.
His put most of the hard working people out of work,and replaced their jobs with zero hours contracts.