Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Ho-Hum
Thing is, one does not have to be clued up on all aspects of the political rainbow to merit a vote.  Some members of the electorate vote for personalities and who they think is more trustworthy and more likely to do a good job.  A misconception perhaps as all politicians tell lies.

Some people vote holistically, that's to say voting for what they think would benefit the mass and not just the individual.  Others will vote selfishly for what's good for themselves alone.

In my view, all who are given the right to vote, it's a fair go.

Like I said before, if young people are due to pay taxes and fight for the nation in the armed forces and, of course, even get married at 16, perhaps producing a family.  Should they not have the right to vote?

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Let's have another referendum!

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

I know this is common knowledge but where has this been dug up on?
Didn't see nowt on the Beeb site.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

We need capable people Percy, all we have are career politicians.

I would like an MP in Romford that has actually had a job, I would like an MP that is a family man and understands what it's like to live in the real world and the pressures of bringing up a family, I would like an MP that knows what it's like to pay your mortgage and not have someone else pay it for you.

Most of all I would like an MP that tells the truth.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

bellend
good luck with that one phil

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

You enjoy fairy tales then, Phil? I agree with your sentiments but asking for MPs to tell the truth is, well, asking politicians to embrace an alien culture.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Ain’t that the geezer who owned Hollywood’s or was it Secrets?

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Wouldn’t we all.Should be a mandatory requirement.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

confused of hornchurch

Diane Abbott wrongly claims 16-year-olds can fight for their country in latest gaffe

Hatty Collier
4 hours ago

Click to follow
The Evening Standard

Diane Abbott has faced ridicule after she claimed 16-year-olds should be allowed to vote if they are able to fight for their country.
The legal age a soldier can be sent to a combat zone is 18.
The shadow home secretary made the blunder ahead of the second reading of a private members' bill seeking to reduce the voting age to 16 on Friday.

The bill was later shelved under Commons laws that rule items must reach a vote before 2.30pm on a Friday with Labour accusing the Tories of filibustering to block the party's attempt to lower the legal voting age.

I think she is getting confused with the Hitler Youth.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Percy
My father in law was 15 when war broke out and he was on small cruisers on the North Atlantic runs and after being sunk four times was transferred to the Arctic convoys and after that war at 21 up the Yangtse fighting the Chinese. In those days you had to be 21 to vote but could serve at 14 in the Navy.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

confused of hornchurch

That was then and this is now, one of  my family used to show us the hole in his thigh that he got on the battlefield at seventeen but he lied about his age so he could fight.

It's a politically correct world now so they can't fight on the frontline under Eighteen years of age.

Personally speaking I think the young thugs that are stabbing and shooting each other on the streets of Britain would be better off sent to a war zone.  They would soon tire of conflict once their enemy started returning fire.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

We did have an MP like that from 1997-2001 Eileen Gordon.
Mrs D1 before we were married she had a problem with some ASBO'S living in a maisonnette below her.
I must say Eileen Gordon was very helpful and eventually the ASBO'S got chucked out to terrorise another neighbourhood.
She actually did have a proper job before her short stay as an MP as a school teacher.
In all fairness to Rosser he was very helpful when Mrs D1 went to see him about another matter and when I approached him on another related matter he approached the minister concerned and got an answer.
All this however doesn't get away from the fact that his only job I believe was as a researcher for another MP.
Now that the useless MP for Hornchurch has retired you have a new one who as with Rosser has never had a real job.
Mrs Julia Lopsided formerly Dockerill was another researcher for a Tory MP.
Whilst a Tory councillor in Tower Hamlets she missed over 30% of council meetings last year and from folk I know trying to contact her she's not overly responsive.
Sorry all you Hornchurchers but early indications in my book say you're lumbered with Dame Whatshername  mark two.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Ho-Hum
My apologies, apparently 16 year old cannot fight for their country.

Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott wrongly claims 16-year-olds can fight for their country in a pitch to lower the voting age as she says 'if they're old enough to die, they're old enough to vote'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5049521/Diane-Abbott-wrongly-claims-16-year-olds-fight.html#ixzz4xXdr1WfI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Phil Wailing
Abbott said: "'If you're old enough to fight for your country, you're old enough to vote." which is misleading and technically incorrect, soldiers under the age of 18 are prohibited from engaging in a "hostile situation."

As a member of the British army that doesn't mean they are not at risk of being killed, what if Lee Rigby was a 16 or 17 year old.

Under 18's are classified as soldiers and can be sent on "humanitarian" missions abroad which themselves can face considerable risk, I know, my son was one.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Mark One
Back in the 70s i joined the Royal Navy at 15 (look up HMS Ganges). We could serve at sea at 16 but were told that if war broke out we would have to be 18 to be part of a fighting ship's company.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Phil Wailing
No need to look it up, we were taken there on a school trip.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Mark One
Was it operational at the time Phil?

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Phil Wailing
Yes it was, and you would never have got me so stand on that 6" square of wood on the top of the mast.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Mark One
Me neither, it took a certain type of lunatic to become a button boy.

Re: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Phil Wailing
I applied to the RAF but didn't have the right qualifications for air crew so I ended up in Ford as a technical apprentice.

Not complaining, job for life, ended up with a very good job and retired at 55, happy days.