Shortage of school place in Havering?

confused of hornchurch

Please correct me if I'm confused, but wasn't it Havering council that was closing schools and building housing estates on the land just a few years ago because of "the falling birth rate"?

Long read: Addressing the school place shortage in east London
PUBLISHED: 07:00 28 September 2017
Sophie Morton Romford Recorder

The Robert Clack School of Science
Finding the perfect school for your child isn’t easy. When there is a shortfall of places in east London, it’s even harder.

Across the four boroughs of Newham, Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge and Havering, London Councils anticipates 5,479 primary places and 6,988 secondary places will need to be created by 2022/23.
And with a series of new housing developments set to increase the area’s population even further, having enough school places for the families that move in is vital.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

bellend
no you're not wrong, and the same forward looking and farsighted chaps are still "planning" our future. no brown envelopes in building schools.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Percy
Its the tri borough thing again the real shortage is Barking with only one new school opening in three years in River road. The birth rate is three times that of Havering and it seems we are to take students from Barking and Redbridge.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

confused of hornchurch

So our local (Havering) councillors didn't know this was going to happen when they were justifying the closure of several schools in Havering?

I find that hard to believe, especially considering we pay a premium to recruit the candidates with the best skills and qualifications. P..s up in a brewery comes to mind.

I suppose they looked at the Havering birth rate which as so many are over 60 is quite low. They had spaces no one could imagine 500,000 immigrants coming per year and all wanting to live in the South.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

bellend
no one could imagine?

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Havering were fully aware of the increasing birth rate in 2008, they were also fully aware the birth rate would not plateau till 2022.

Havering took no account of immigration when the 5 primaries in Havering were closed.

In 2011 Havering were consulting on expanding primaries at the same time as they were closing schools and selling the land to housing developers.

Somewhere on Youtube there is a video of Lorraine Moss putting this question to Cllr White who was council leader at the time. Cllr White claimed there was no shortage of primary places in Havering as they could cover the shortfall with "mothballed" classrooms.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Lorraine Moss
Voila

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

confused of hornchurch

Classic stuff! I forgot how good Michael was at bullsh..

He did make one accurate prediction, that he wouldn't be leader in five years time and it would be down to somebody else to sort out the mess.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Lorraine Moss
I used to love the "Ask The Cabinet" meetings every month.  It is such a shame that they stopped them.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

confused of hornchurch

I used to look forward to them as well, if you didn't take them too seriously they were always good for a laugh.

Some of the meetings were so bizarre, I was convinced they were just trying to wind us up.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Percy
In theory there are no real shortages of places in Havering just inefficient use of the buildings and staff.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

I think you will find the Audit Commission ruled you should not have a surplus of school places, in any Primary school, in excess of 7%.

The advise was to amalgamate schools and mothball the schools that were surplus.

Havering had an average surplus of 11% in its Primary's so it amalgamated schools and ignored the advise given and sold the surplus schools to property developers.

The Havering Primary School Amalgamation was signed off by the then cabinet member for education Geoff Starnes.

You could have read the Primary School Amalgamation plan on Havering councils web site but for some strange reason it has been removed.

Ingrebourne Primary on Harold Hill was closed but is still standing as the council leased the school to the Romford Drum and Trumpet corps for 25 years - There is a 3 form of entry primary sitting there (630 places from reception to year 6) and not one child can go there.

Over the next 5 years there is a large shortfall of Primary places and the only thing Havering can do about it is expand its existing schools.

In North Romford there were 3 primary's within a mile of each other - Parklands (3 form of entry) - Rise Park (2 form of entry) and Gobions (3 form of entry) - Gobions was closed by Joe Webster (Starnes predecessor), the then cabinet member for education and the land (7 hectares) was sold to Bellway Homes who promptly built 275 homes on the site.

As a result Rise Park has been expanded to 3 form of entry and Parklands to 5 form of entry and both of those schools are on their Published Admission Numbers (they are full)

I won't go into the Dunningford fiasco and the contrived consultation - I am sure some of the people that post on here will remember it.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Percy
The schools lie unused two days every week and 15 weeks a year plus inset days and polling days. They could be used on those days for education and that is not counting they only open 9am until 4pm with an hour for dinner. All that is needed is more teachers and assistants and some planning to use the schools efficiently.                                          http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/education/hot-desking-school-or-traditional-grammar-marylebone-hosts-free-schools-fight-1-1748772

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Phil Wailing
Who's going to pay for it?

Well who pays for the present schools its cheaper and quicker than building new schools just add one class held at a different time or days for each school.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Phil Wailing
A 3 form of entry primary has 21 classrooms and the budget for a school of that size is around £2.2 million of which around 80% is staffing costs.

Most maintained schools are setting negative budgets now, any additional staffing costs are utterly unaffordable.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

I suppose the next suggestion will be one super school for the whole borough running a shift system.
Infants attending in the morning, juniors in the afternoon and the older pupils working nights.

The only problem with that system would come if the teaching staff demand an additional shift premium.

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

There's quite a few gems in Lorraines You Tube collection but my own personal fav was when the Harrow Lodge park campaigner Paul Polien caught White out for his press office lying to the Enquirer that no problems had been reported with the drains that had caused untold flooding and White further lying that he'd copied Mr Polien into a fantasy report to Thames water about drain problems. All White could do was hide behind the LGO.
Anyhow does anyone know what happened to the 19 million quid  when White and his cronies flogged off the five schools?
Or who got the brownies?

Re: Shortage of school place in Havering?

Ingrebourne Primary on Harold Hill was closed but is still standing as the council leased the school to the Romford Drum and Trumpet corps for 25 years - There is a 3 form of entry primary sitting there (630 places from reception to year 6) and not one child can go there.
Wait a minute!
Here's a few questions our wonderful adminstration might like to avoid.
1 Do the drum corps use the building five days a week?
2 If we are short of school places why isn't this building re-opened for its original purpose?
3 Why such a massive lease?
4 Do the drum corps pay full or just a peppercorn rent?
5 Is it a mere co-incidence that Osman Dervish was once a member (I believe)?
I'm sure any request for information will be greeted with commercial confidentiality aka piss off.
12