Short stay.

Re: Short stay.

The one area that the Tories are seen as competent, somehow, is in the realm of the public purse. In truth here lies their biggest failure.

George Osborne and later Philip Hammond have said they should be judged on their records. The debt in the UK currently stands at an enormous £1.923 trillion more than double what it was under the previous government and this is while public spending has dropped by 5% since 2010.

Somehow despite cutting spending and increasing the debt, George Osborne borrowed more in his first three years as Chancellor than Labour did in 13 years of government. The Tories have borrowed more since 2010 than every Labour government combined.

This has created the conditions for extreme austerity targeted at the many, while we have seen massive tax cuts for millionaires - in 2013 George Osborne cut the top rate of tax giving the UKs 13,000 millionaires a minimum of a £100,000 tax cut each.

You would think that tax shortfalls would be made up in taxes elsewhere, but instead of creating a progressive corporation tax model the Tories have effectively turned the UK into a modern day tax haven by having the lowest rates of any of the 20 leading global economies, just 17% by 2020

Companies such as Tesco or McDonalds will pay less tax proportionally than their employees. The only taxes that have risen under this government are the regressive ones that hit the poorest the hardest such as VAT and the Bedroom Tax.

Is it any surprise we see the deals done by HMRC with multi-national companies, behind closed doors.

Who can forget the attempt to increase tax on the self-employed too which the government only U-turned on after massive public opposition.

All of the UK’s woes have been created by this government – Don’t even mention the totally disjointed Brexit. They had no plan for Brexit because Cameron didn’t believe it would happen, the frightening thing is they still have no plan.

The infighting will continue as the Tories are totally split on the EU, they always have been and the one thing I can assure you with this bunch of utter incompetents - they will put party before country.

UK National Debt Clock

Re: Short stay.

From where do you get those facts about borrowing, Phil? This is not an aggressive or partisan question, just a question to elicit the background.

Re: Short stay.

Phil Wailing
Debate often ends up aggressive and partisan, it depends which side of the fence you are on. Politically all the mainstream parties are useless and the system is corrupt and broken.

I have read those numbers in many places including the Office for Budget Responsibility and the Office for National Statistics.

Here are a few that are less heavy to read.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/about/

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/21/uk-borrowing-_n_4316084.html

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2013/11/the-tories-have-piled-on-more-debt-than-labour/

Re: Short stay.

fred
Where is this extreme austerity?Lakeside was rammed on Wednesday,had to queue for petrol last time l filled up along with some pricey motors,no old bangers in my local school car park teachers seem to have nice cars.
A house down my road was up for 340,000 sold in two weeks.
Ain’t seen no one following the coal man around lately or chopping up firewood.
Perhaps the yardstick for austerity has changed since ration books in the 40s and 50s

Re: Short stay.

It may as well be and if he can get us out of the EU as well and do it for half the price it's costing for the current bunch of f w.....s, he's got my vote.

Re: Short stay.

Thanks for the Sunday reading Phil! I'll have a butcher's at this lot later.

Re: Short stay.

The shortest stay of any PM post WW2 was Alec Douglas Hume who lasted less than a year followed by Anthony Eden who lasted 1 year 9 months.
If old Tess is to not get the second place she needs to last another months.

Re: Short stay.

confused of hornchurch

MAY SWEATS ON SEX PESTS Theresa May fears dossier on pervy MPs may force her into an emergency cabinet reshuffle
PM has been shown a dossier on MPs accused of 'hounding, propositioning or groping' young women - and some of them are in her Ministerial team
Exclusive
By David Wooding, Sunday Political Editor
28th October 2017, 10:30 pm Updated: 28th October 2017, 11:04 pm

THERESA May fears the Westminster sex pest scandal may force her into an emergency reshuffle.
The PM has been shown a dossier on MPs accused of hounding, propositioning or groping young women.

Theresa May has reportedly been shown evidence some of her own Cabinet have behaved in an unsavoury manner
It is claimed they include several senior Tories — some in her ministerial team.
Mrs May fears the scandal could even trigger her downfall if a resignation sets off a chain-reaction.
Last week she held a meeting with senior aides to thrash out a plan of action if a major figure is outed as a sex pest. A source said: “It’s been an open secret for years that some MPs overstep the mark.
“Party leaders have too often turned a blind eye. The consequences of a major scandal breaking right now are dire.”

May fears that revelations she has been closely associated with sex pests could bring her down
Government whips keep a “black book” of sleaze ­allegations against MPs locked away in a safe.
Those accused in the sleaze dossier include a married Tory minister alleged to have made passes at several women, including journalists and aides. One Tory MP is dubbed the “Lift Lunger” after groping a woman who found herself alone in a lift with him.
Another is known as “Happy Hands” for constantly touching women under the table at meetings.
A third is nicknamed “Taxi Tickler” after repeatedly grabbing at young women in the back of shared cabs. New recruits are allegedly warned: “He is not safe in taxis.”

The PM has been told of one MP dubbed the 'taxi tickler', and another dubbed the 'lift lunger'

Party chiefs were yesterday facing calls to hand over sex pest information to police. Mrs May became embroiled after aides said she sits silently while details are recounted at briefings.
She is now aware that could prompt claims she turns a blind eye to sexual misconduct — even though she has privately expressed her astonishment at the behaviour of some Tories.
Labour MPs are also implicated by the Westminster whisperers — including one ex-member of Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow Cabinet.

Re: Short stay.

"Party leaders have too often turned a blind eye."

Two points. 1) If they turn a "blind eye" to harassment, they're just as bad as the actual harassers and should be out on their ears. 2) What other unsavoury (and possibly corrupt and/or criminal) activities do they "turn a blind eye" to?
I can hear it now, echoing on the morning breeze, - wait for it......."lessons will be learned".

Re: Short stay.

MR H
Watch out for that 'very nice man' James Brokenshire. Didn't he used to nip into the Railway public house after work?

Could he be the 'King in waiting', the acceptable face of the Conservative party?
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Re: Short stay.

Percy
Poor Mr Brokenshire stuck with direct rule of Northern Ireland and a corrupt DUP. Not much of a CV for prime minister and he is no great speaker and probably to legal and too nice.

Re: Short stay.

Re: Short stay.

confused of hornchurch

THE LAST STRAW? EU leaders braced for fall of Theresa May’s government as PM faces ‘make-or-break’ month say senior Tories after Priti Patel leaves Cabinet in chaos
Fears grow in Brussels that Britain may see more turmoil before the new year after second member of Mrs May’s top team resigns with several more under severe pressure
By Alain Tolhurst
9th November 2017, 10:17 am Updated: 9th November 2017, 2:43 pm

EU LEADERS are reportedly braced for the fall of Theresa May’s government after Priti Patel’s departure left her Cabinet in chaos.
Fears are growing in Brussels that Britain may see more turmoil before the new year, after a second member of the Prime Minister’s top team resigns - with several more under severe pressure.

Theresa May is under pressure after losing a second Cabinet minister in a week
The Times are reporting officials on the continent are preparing either for a change of leadership in the Conservatives or another General Election and a Labour victory.
It comes as senior Tories say Mrs May faces a “make-or-break” month to try and turn things around.

Re: Short stay.

confused of hornchurch

TORY TURMOIL Theresa May faces new battlefront as ’40 MPs agree to sign letter of no-confidence’
Many MPs privately believe she has become a liability to the process and think the Conservatives need a period of time in opposition to rally themselves, according to reports.
By Corey Charlton
12th November 2017, 2:05 am Updated: 12th November 2017, 8:54 am

DOZENS of MPs have agreed to sign a letter of no-confidence in Theresa May after Brexit negotiations hit a stumbling block this week.
It comes at the end of a week of turmoil for the Prime Minister after cabinet ministers Priti Patel and Michael Fallon both resigned.

Theresa May faces a new fight from within her party with 40 MPs willing to sign a letter of no-confidence
The European Union's chief negotiator Michel Bariner has piled pressure on the Government after giving it a two week deadline to pay its Brexit divorce bill.
But now 40 MPs have secretly agreed to sign a no-confidence letter, The Sunday Times reports.
Many privately believe she has become a liability to the process and think the Conservatives need a period of time in opposition to rally themselves.

Re: Short stay.

Percy
Where will the poor unelected Tories go if we have another election. Unless they finish changing the Boundaries and get rid of 50 MPs the Tories could be out for decades. If Theresa wants to distract the party she should include in her plans the reordering of the Lords getting rid of 500 of them and electing the rump left. This will send shock waves through the party and ensure her staying on.

Re: Short stay.

You know what the fuckers will do as well as I do. Percy. They'll emerge very well out of making a fucking mons-up of everything. Those tossers always do.

Re: Short stay.

oh dear cull the lords now, and feed them to the poor I suppose.

Re: Short stay.

fred
No just cull the lot of them,relocate them to a nice run down estate somewhere.Orchard Village maybe.

Re: Short stay.

No, culling's not good enough for those tossers. Castration, cut off their tits, then burn them.

Re: Short stay.

fred
Have you joined IZAL with our Muslim friends
12345