£-Shop

Re: £-Shop

confused of hornchurch

They all start cheap!

It's amazing what a penny can do. 'Don't ask the price, it's a penny' was the slogan Michael Marks used when he opened his first bazaar in Leeds in 1884.

But it's just a marketing ploy.

Re: £-Shop

Interesting HH.
In sunny Romford we have three Poundland's and one Poundworld (my aren't we spoilt for choice?). A few years back I visited Poundworld on the site of what used to be Woolworths in the high road and some giftset Mrs D1
likes was available at £5.99 but reading the sign it states clearly everything £1. By co-incidence Havering trading standards were in the market that day and I raised it with them and they e-mailed me back to say it was something of a grey area but did agree that in their view if the sign states everything a pound so thats the price it should be sold at.
Yes you may be right they could be in violation of the trade descriptions act but someone like WHICH mag would be able to clarify.
Incidentally as a keen home grower of fruit and veg Poundland had a sale of garden products for 50p.
Could that also mean they are in violation of trading standards by selling below a £1?

Re: £-Shop

confused of hornchurch

They were told two years ago!

Poundland must no longer claim everything it sells costs £1, says ASA
Retail firm told future advertising must not state everything it sells costs £1 following complaints that it sells DVDs and other special offers for more

Poundl;and can no longer claim everything it sells is £1 after complaints that it sells ‘special’ items for more. Photograph: Danny Lawson/PA

Press Association
Wednesday 4 March 2015 10.39 GMT
Last modified on Tuesday 6 June 2017 01.31 BST
Poundland must no longer claim that every item it sells costs £1 after a watchdog UPHELD COMPLAINTS that it sold DVDs and other “special” offers for more.
The poundland.co.uk website’s About Us page said its “Everything for £1” claim was “the idea of our founders in 1990 and we’re still true to that great vision today”.
It went on: “We are very proud to offer you a single £1 price, that hasn’t changed since we opened our first store.”
But three complainants argued that Poundland was MISLEADING CUSTOMERS because it promoted products that cost more than £1 and sold DVDs and CDs for £2.

Amazon Prime ‘free trial’ offer banned for misleading over fees
 Read more

Poundland said it priced all its ordinary products at £1, but had introduced “special promotions” that offered customers who spent over a certain amount the chance to buy items that cost more than £1.
The cashier would offer customers the opportunity to buy the promotional item, such as a £3 gift set, while at the till, meaning they could not inadvertently select it while shopping around the store.
Poundland said the DVD promotion was a trial of a concession with a third party in a small number of stores which was segregated from all other £1 products and clearly priced at £2.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) acknowledged that it sold the majority of products for £1 and that more expensive items could only be bought from the DVD concession or through the conditional spend promotion.
But it said the website’s claims referring to Poundland’s £1 “idea of our founders” and “great vision” suggested that every item sold by Poundland cost £1, regardless of whether or not they were sold via a concession arrangement or as a promotion.
The ASA ruled: “Therefore, because that was not the case, we concluded that the ad was misleading.”
It said the ad must not appear again in its current form, adding: “We told Poundland that their future advertising must not state or suggest that every item they sold cost £1.”
In October, the ASA banned Poundworld’s “everything £1” claim after a customer spotted “special” items on sale for £3 and £8.99.

Re: £-Shop

dalek1
Connie the ASA can only act on misleading statement like Bloggs dark brown boot polish brushes your teeth pearly white. The power to act on this matter must lie with trading standards.

Re: £-Shop

confused of hornchurch

Has somebody got a grievance? It'll cost a pound or two to put that right.

Chingford fire: Poundland store goes up in flames
Police are treating the blaze as suspicious and say three people were seen leaving the area when it began to erupt.
23:02, UK,
Wednesday 23 August 2017

Video:
Blaze rips through Poundland store

By Aubrey Allegretti, News Reporter
A huge fire has broken out at a Poundland in east London, with 97 firefighters battling to get the blaze under control.
Witnesses posted video on social media of the discount shop in Chingford being engulfed by flames - and the building's roof has been partially destroyed.
Half of the ground floor and parts of the first floor were also alight, as nearby homes were evacuated and shocked residents looked on.

One person wrote on Twitter: "Shop burning down at Chingford Mount! Pray there's no one in there. Horrific!!"
Police are treating the fire as suspicious and say three suspects were seen leaving the area shortly after it began.
No injuries have been reported, and a Metropolitan Police spokesman says no arrests have been made so far.

London Fire Brigade said it was called to the store on Old Church Road at 6.54pm on Thursday evening. A statement said: "The cause of the fire is not known at this stage."
Witness Claire Barker wrote on Twitter: "Amazing work being done by firefighters at #chingford fire."

Re: £-Shop

bellend
damaged stock amounted to nearly £23

Re: £-Shop