Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Lorraine Moss
From Havering Council's wesite

Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract
Monday 17 February 2014

Havering Council’s multi-million pound contract for its weekly waste and recycling services has been awarded to Serco Direct Services. The contract will last for seven years and was previously managed by Biffa.
Serco Direct Services will take over the contract from August this year. It will remain a weekly collection service with rubbish in black bags and recycling placed in orange sacks. There will be some minor revisions to collection routes, which will be confirmed later this year.

To reduce CO2 emissions, the new lorries will be double-sided meaning that both black and orange sacks can be collected together but placed in separate compartments. This will have no effect on the amount of waste that gets recycled as the bags will be treated separately.

Councillor Barry Tebbutt, Cabinet Member for StreetCare said:

“We’re really looking forward to working with Serco, they’ve come up with some good ideas to help minimise waste and ensure that the already exceptional standards that we have are maintained.

“We are proud that in Havering we have been able to maintain a weekly collection when many other areas have lost theirs. Our black and orange sacks are easy and straightforward to use and there will be no change to these services when Serco come on-board.”

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Percy.
What about the green bins????

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

AngelDelight
I personally feel the current service from Biffa is very good. Does this mean we will get a lesser service.....?

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

bellend
yes what about the green bins?? and i agree with angel, the service at the moment is very good.

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Mr. Angry....
Havering's angriest person...

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Independent man
When Barry Tebbutt said "we look forward to working with Serco" he might have spoken to soon, when the contract starts in August both he and his party could be out of power.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

bellend
i wonder how many of the hard working blokes got the tin tac from biffa? i wonder what sort of contracts the new workforce will be on at serco?

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Independent man
The way the labour force is treated now is a disgrace, most people dont have secure jobs and are always under threat of getting made redundant or the sack.
More and more people who cant get work have to take zero hours work, low paid work or work on a self employed basis, with no job security no sick pay and no holiday money.
Back in the day (70s 80s ) apart from the odd dip in the economy jobs were plentyfull and pay was fair with good working conditions.
The start of the downturn for the working man came in my opinion when the wicked witch gained power, and she started to cut red tape and deregulate, make it much easier for the boss to hire and of corse fire people.
We sat back and let her attack the unions, and with the help of the rich powerfull and the gutter press (It must be true I read it in the Sun) and the Police force and army she undermined and got rid of the more powerfull Unions.
Thats the main reason most skilled men and women and those who have worked hard to get educated are on shit money.
She also sold off all the good council and housing assocation, housing stock and some people became house oweners on the cheap and through the back door, they sold their council house made a few quid and became tory voters.
Its payback time now that good housing stock has been sold off now, a lot of it to private landlords who are renting it back to those on the DHSS at super high rents and we the taxpayer are footing the bill.
As for the young trying to get on the housing ladder, they have no chance, all the council stock has gone they cant afford to get a mortgage and they are getting ripped off renting on the private market.
DONT BLAME ME I NEVER VOTED FOR THE BAST*RDS.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

So they were 'rubbish' at delivering within the prison service, and now they have been rewarded with a 'rubbish' collection service.

Let's see if they can mess this one up?

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Trojan Horse
Biffa has been biffed.  The Beano is over but it's not Dandy.
Do Labour supporters really love Queens Hospital?

Re: Serco wins Havering's waste and recycling contract

Percy.
What about me Green Bin and can i still get free compost bins.My refuse collectors were excellent.I will miss them never missed.What about street cleaning is that the same?