Rubbish collections

Bremner1972
Does anyone know the rules concerning rubbish collection? Sometimes our bin men take bottles, other times (like today) not, sometimes they take flattened cardboard boxes, other times - not. Ia it just based on what mood they're in?  genuinely intrigued.

Re: Rubbish collections

confused of hornchurch

The crew that collect on my road always take flattened cardboard (That's the way we are supposed to present it).

I sometimes have beer or wine bottles in the black bags and it has always been collected.

Once in a while they have appeared early and caught-out those of us that put the refuse out at a regular time so as not to let the cats and foxes scatter it all over the street.

Re: Rubbish collections

Bremner1972
We split ours out, thinking it would be helpful and have them ready to go in a box, but again sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. weird

Re: Rubbish collections

Hi Brem', I tend to put jars in my black bag BUT me wine bottles go to the bottle bank.  However, I'm not sure if any glass should go into any of the bags.  Elf 'n' Safety for refuse collectors is paramount.  They are not tough like the old time dustman who had hot cinders falling down their necks, emptying skips into those push-up door cylindrical trucks before the packer vehicles came along.

Re: Rubbish collections

Bremner1972

Re: Rubbish collections

Percy
Never any glass in our bags.Cardboard goes no bother but glass I take to the bottle bank.

Re: Rubbish collections

Good lord HH dustmen!
Thats very un PC by today's standards.
They are now referred to as refuse collection technicians and window cleaners are glasial cleansing technicians and there's several other fanciful job titles
And can anyone think of a collective for our fine conservative/rat led councillors.
Please keep all answers clean.

Re: Rubbish collections

Percy
A group of councilors is known as an envelope.

Re: Rubbish collections

dalek1
Brown one by any chance?

Re: Rubbish collections

This borough has one of the most pisspore refuse collections in London if not the whole of the country.
Glass is regarded as domestic waste unless you want to cart it up to the bottle bank in the orange sacks you can place empty plastic milk bottles but not the lids no empty yoghurt pots (hold on they are plastic aren't they?) and no soft metal baking trays but they do take empty beer and soft drink tins along with food tins. So why is our refuse collection so bad? Simple the company who run the service Shanks who I've been told by somebody at the council have a contract running for several years call all the shots and they decide what does and doesn't get collected as re-useable waste. I remember our vile former deputy leader Steven Kelly bragging we have one of the cheapest  refuse collections in London. Hardly surprising is it.

Re: Rubbish collections

bellend
my daughters have about half a dozen different bins to recycle I couldn't be arsed, this august must be the coldest on record, more plastic bags please.

Re: Rubbish collections

Sorry to disagree but Havering is great compared with the council that collected my refuse this time last year. Missed collections, spillage, useless contact centre, you name it. I find Havering pretty good so far.

Re: Rubbish collections

Percy
I have no trouble with my collections only the selfish buggers that park on the corner at the end of the street stopping them come up on occasion.However they come back later or send a little truck.
Revolutions are always verbose.