Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

Lorraine Moss

From The Recorder

Romford MP asks Boris Johnson to help ice rink users with temporary site

 Demonstrartion outside Havering Town hall against the closure of Romford Ice Rink. The site will be bought by Morrisons, the council have plans to build another Ice Rink in Eastern Street, in 2016.
Safira Ali, Senior reporter
Sunday, March 3, 2013
12:00 PM

MP Andrew Rosindell has appealed to Mayor of London Boris Johnson and supermarket Morrisons over the future of Romford’s ice rink.

Comments Email Print

Callum Fidler, aged nine, is part of a club that uses the ice rink three times a week.
Mr Rosindell, MP for Romford, has thrown his weight behind a support group formed when the closure of the rink in Rom Valley Way was announced. They want a temporary rink until the new one is built.

The venue will close in April and the site taken over by Morrisons. A new leisure centre with an ice rink has been proposed for Western Road, Romford, and the idea is expected to be decided on this spring.

However, it means that there will be no rink in the borough until the new one is built unless supporters raise £1.2million to run a temporary venue.

Mr Rosindell said he told Mr Johnson that he was asking for his help with a matter of “great importance” to constituents.

He said he is delighted with Morrisons’ proposals but he is “deeply concerned” about the impact the two-year delay between the rink closing and the new one opening would have on those who use it.

He said: “It plays a crucial role in inspiring and encouraging young people to take up sport.”

He said that once the current site closes in April he feared that “without further support from Greater London Authority, the council or Morrisons, establishing a temporary rink will prove impossible”.

He added: “I firmly believe that securing the future of sporting facilities is essential if we are to uphold the legacy of the 2012 Olympic Games.”

He also asked Morrisons to “consider providing the funding for this endeavour”.

Cllr Michael White, Leader of the Council, said he had a positive meeting with members of the ice hockey teams this week. He added: “In the meantime, the user-group, in conjunction with a third party, are working up a business plan for the management of such a facility and are liaising with the council’s leisure services department.”

Re: Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

Lorraine Moss
I am pleased to see that Andrew Rosindell is openly supporting the Ice Rink users.  Let's hope that he can put some pressure on and get some results for them.

Re: Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

I firmly believe that securing the future of sporting facilities is essential if we are to uphold the legacy of the 2012 Olympic Games.”

And I so agree young man-including selling of school "sports" field for housing-why do we need so many superstores, why do they Always get planning permission.

I think we all know why they are so successful.

Re: Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

AngelDelight
Eastern Street? (Intro para) Where the hell is Eastern Street?

Re: Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

Independent man
Looks like Air Miles has been shamed in to getting his finger out I hope he can help the ice rink users.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Asks Boris Johnson To Help Ice Rink Users With Temporary Site

bellend
My wife came in and said "I've just been to the polling station to place my vote."

"Really," I replied, "well I hope you didn't vote for that rosindell"

"Don't be daft" she said, "I saw his name so I crossed it out."