Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
I have been following the progress of this campaign on the "Keep Romford Skating" Facebook page and I was furious when I discovered what The Romford Conservatives had posted on their Facebook page, please see below this is obviously referring to the story that featured on London Tonight a few days ago.  This was about the fact that all the users of Romford Ice Arena had been totally abandoned due to the planned New Leisure Centre and would have no facilities for at least 2 years.  It was never an article about how great Havering council is for striking this deal that in reality will have devastating consequences for so many residents, many of them children !!

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
Please see below, these are comments in response to this post;

Vicki Fidler Shame about the 500 children havering conservatives are throwing out onto the streets in the process. These children have a future in the sport that they love, it keeps them fit and healthy and off the streets. What happened to havering council Olympic pledge.......
Thursday at 19:44 via mobile · Like · 4

Kelly Cooper Here here
Thursday at 20:24 via mobile · Like · 3

Romford Town Conservatives The Council has offered to fund the shell of a temporary site, with toilets and electricity. There is no money to pay for the ice pad or daily running costs. There are £millions of cuts still to be made sadly and we have to protect frontline services for the vulnerable.
Yesterday at 08:03 · Like

Vicki Fidler Are children not vulnerable ? Shame on you !
Yesterday at 08:30 via mobile · Like · 3

Oki Boolkah Other councils like Lambeth, Cardiff Manchester all had foresight and cared enough about the 'users' as Michael white so eloquently referred to the children and adults who use the rink to provide a temporary rink. Tesco had a cared enough to fund the temp rink in Brixton. Shame on morrisons and shame on the Havering
Yesterday at 09:12 via mobile · Like · 2

Oki Boolkah Oh and it's incredibly rude not to reply to emails from your constituents and 'users' of the rink. Good luck in the next election!
Yesterday at 09:13 via mobile · Like · 3

Oki Boolkah Roger Ramsey on the news said havering couldn't afford 1.5m for a fully functioning temporary rink yet Michael white was offering us 2.1m empty building. Councillors need to get on same page, work out some actual facts before being allowed to speak. After all it was apparently Steve Kelly who originally promised to provide a temporary rink but is now backtracking. Lies upon lies is all we seem to get. Not all councillors are like the conservative ones some have been honest and said who promised what and how much havering actually has in its reserves.
Yesterday at 09:46 · Like · 1

Sue Godwin What about using the interest on the millions coming from Morrisons and also diverting our £20 per month Olympic money that we will be paying forever to something that benefits us locally and not something that has been and gone.....
The Olympic Dream and pledges have become 'so last year'
Yesterday at 09:55 via mobile · Like · 4

Sue Godwin How many companies are tendering for the new leisure centre - is it right there's just been one? As council tax payers we need to know we are getting companies who are robust enough to complete the build - look at Comet, MFI etc......
Why couldn't you have done a deal with Waitrose - they support their local communities......
Yesterday at 10:01 via mobile · Like · 2

Sue Godwin Dear Council.
Please advise of a replacement activity that our children can do from Tuesday April the 16th that will inspire them as much as skating and can be done locally.
I along with many other await your ideas keenly.
Yesterday at 10:08 via mobile · Like · 2

Anthony Tapsell Please let us know what happened to the Money from Asda for the new swimming pool, as we was told on Wednesday night it have been spent on what, we don't have a new pool in Romford, can the same be said for the money from Morrison for the new rink and pool ??
Yesterday at 11:10 via mobile · Like · 2

Angela Goldstone One word.....Dolphin. would somebody from the council care to let us know if planning permission has been granted for the new Morrison's store yet or even if plans have been submitted?
Yesterday at 13:05 via mobile · Like · 1

Angela Goldstone Oh and why on earth does that area need another supermarket when there are Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco within close proximity?
Yesterday at 13:06 via mobile · Like · 1

Vicki Fidler Planning permission has been submitted, waiting on boris Johnson who is good friends with Michael white o approve
Yesterday at 13:08 via mobile · Like

Vicki Fidler Havering council gives Lee Valley Regional Parks 258k to spend on their leisure facilities.... One being ice hockey, they won't fund haverings children with a temporary rink but they will fund other boroughs !!! Shame on them
Yesterday at 13:10 via mobile · Like · 2

Vicki Fidler And that comes out of my council tax......
Yesterday at 13:10 via mobile · Like

Anthony Tapsell Is anyone one from the Romford Town Conservatives going to reply, oh stupid me it Friday !!!
Yesterday at 14:21 via mobile · Like

Romford Town Conservatives I work every day so being Friday is not a problem. There is still the offer of funding the building for a temporary rink if a partner can come up with an option to fund the ice pad and run the facility.
Yesterday at 14:28 · Like

Anthony Tapsell Why have you not reply to the question asked then, we would like answers ???
Yesterday at 14:31 via mobile · Like

Vicki Fidler No mention of why you give lee valley ice hockey funding yet not to the children in your own borough
Yesterday at 14:32 via mobile · Like · 1

Anthony Tapsell And why they feel that a building that is less than 30 years old have to be knocked down, why have the council not keep a closer eye on the rink to ensure that the rink is maintained to the correct standard ???
Yesterday at 14:35 via mobile · Like · 1

Anthony Tapsell We are still waiting ??
Yesterday at 14:56 via mobile · Like

Romford Town Conservatives Re. Lea Valley, I understand that is a precept put upon the Council by the Mayor's Office, similar to the police precept. I don't agree with it but we have to pay it.
Yesterday at 15:49 · Like

Romford Town Conservatives @Anthony. 30 years doesn't seem very old for a building agreed. The Council did not run the rink. That was done by a private leisure company. I haven't been to the rink for a long time, since I had a fall and stopped skating so I can't comment on the current state of the building.
Yesterday at 15:52 · Like

Angela Goldstone And we need another supermarket because?
Yesterday at 15:55 via mobile · Like

Vicki Fidler I then believe that the representatives of this borough should be speaking to the mayor's office to find a solution to the current situation effecting 500 children in its own borough maybe suggesting that a hold be placed on these funds going to another borough for a two year period or better still backing your own Olympic hopefuls of the future forever
Yesterday at 15:56 via mobile · Like · 1

Romford Town Conservatives @ Angela. I do not want another supermarket.
Yesterday at 16:26 · Like

Romford Town Conservatives @Vicki. That is a very good point, but likely to fall upon deaf ears at City Hall.
Yesterday at 16:29 · Edited · Like

Angela Goldstone So you'll be opposing it then?
Yesterday at 16:28 via mobile · Like

Oki Boolkah Can someone tell me why when Cllr Michael White said on Friday 8th at his Q&A session he agreed to a meeting and to answer any questions I have, I'm still waiting for a reply to my email from the 10th of February. Time is of the essence with this regard! I have done what he asked and got all the facts and figures he required.
Yesterday at 16:32 · Like

Anthony Tapsell I agree that the council has not run the rink, therefore why has the council state that the building is in need of repair, in the words of Steven Kelley " it will fall down soon" should the council not be looking at why the repairs to a council building had not been dealt with be the leasehold ??
Yesterday at 16:34 via mobile · Like · 1

Anthony Tapsell We didn't need another supermarket !!!
Yesterday at 16:35 via mobile · Like

Romford Town Conservatives @Oki. I have referred this to the Leader's office.
Yesterday at 16:43 · Like

Romford Town Conservatives @Angela . I don' t sit on Regulatory Services Panel. I do not know yet when it will come for a decision but I assume it will be soon as the closing date for comments was 11th January.
Yesterday at 16:47 · Edited · Like

Angela Goldstone Has what? If you mean opposed, kindly let us know by whom please?
Yesterday at 16:47 via mobile · Like

Oki Boolkah 59 days till be have no ice ! A meeting would be nice a resolution is possible if there is a meeting. starting to think they dont want a temp rink or a new rink!!
Yesterday at 16:49 · Like

Oki Boolkah While your there Romford Town Conservatives can you remind ALL the Havering Councillors that I would like a reply to the email I send Thursday morning. There valid points that need to be addressed. Thank you so much  Apologies to the Cllrs that have replied, with some VERY interesting facts which are now heading towards the Romford Recorder.
Yesterday at 16:53 · Like

Romford Town Conservatives Sorry Oki, you will have to remind Councillors yourself. This is a Facebook page run solely by me, and has no official link to the London Borough of Havering.
Yesterday at 17:06 · Like

Oki Boolkah Don't worry I will
Yesterday at 17:08 via mobile · Like

Michelle Bayley Can Romford Town Conservaties GURANTEE that there will be a rink in Romford by the end of 2015? I'm concerned that with planning permission not yet granted for the new facility and the lack of committment to a temporary rink this means that should there be any problem with the new leisure centre that Romford will lose its rink permanently.
I await your respsonse.
Yesterday at 19:44 via mobile · Like · 1

Romford Town Conservatives Michelle, this is NOT a Council website. As far as I know the new rink and the swimming pool will be complete in 2015 but I have the same concerns that you do. As a councillor for this ward I will do my best to keep residents updated.
23 hours ago · Like

Oki Boolkah What is this page for then? If your not going to answer questions posed. Maybe councillors should respond to emails from their constituents we wouldn't have to ask on here.
23 hours ago · Like

Oki Boolkah planning has not even gone through and lets face it Havering has a track record for not delivering on promises........Dolphin!
23 hours ago · Like

Michelle Bayley I am pleased to hear that you share mine and many others concerns but I didn't ask the council to give the guarantee, I asked whether Romford Town Conservatives could. I have written to the council separately and await their response. As a councillor are you not part of the council?
23 hours ago via mobile · Like

Romford Town Conservatives Write to me via the Council. This is a Facebook page, it's not in anyway official. I will respond to all e.mails and letters sent to me as I am doing this morning, right now actually, checking e.mails on various matters. Oki, which councillors have not responded? The wards concerned are Brooklands and Romford Town.
12 hours ago · Like

Michelle Bayley This page is the page of three Havering Councillors and is called Romford Town Conservatives and the description says 'working for Romford Town' so I fail to understand why you cannot respond to questions asked of you as a Romford Councillor on here. The reason I commented on this post specifically in addition to the letters that I have already send to the council, Mayor of London and various Secretaries of State and other MP's is because you said Michael White was going on ITN News to talk about the ice rink and pool "we WILL have in Havering". With planning permission not yet granted I do not understand how you can say "will" have which was why I asked if you could give a guarantee.
11 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Oki Boolkah Michael white for one but If we are just talking brooklands and romford town then Benham,Osborne,Tebbutt, Brice-Thompson and Thompson. As well as the majority of the rest. Why are those wards the only ones concerned? Romford Rink services a great deal of people throughout havering and beyond! I'm getting the impression even if I brought them a viable business plan they would not agree. The cllrs that are replying certainly seem to think that way and are not even convinced there will be a new development so you can see why we are getting frustrated. Steve Kelly seemed only want to shout at the people shouting at him outside the townhall as if to stir them up! Anyone who was talking calmly with constructive questions was blanked including myself. I've voted conservative for 22 years and will never do so again after what I have experienced and its nothing to so with the rink. Disgusting ignorant manipulative and dishonest behaviour !
11 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Oki Boolkah Michelle: At the Q&A rFiday 8th Feb Michael White said that even if the Morrison deal collapsed the land at RVW would be sold for housing. So Romford could easily end up with no current rink, no temporary and no new rink. 26 years of Ice hockey history gone!! Talented and driven kids will all disperse to other clubs (those that get a space as they will only pick the southeast and england players) and the rest will have to just stop.
11 hours ago · Like

Oki Boolkah oh and of course there are the 350 figure skaters, schools that use the rink each week for off site PE lessons, Social groups like Scouts, Special needs groups that use if for play therapy, After school clubs like the YMCA not to mention the 1000's of PUBLIC skaters. As Michael White so eloquently put it the 'users'!!
10 hours ago · Like

Oki Boolkah Shall i also point our that when Richmond rink closed 20 odd years ago (they too had a council that promised them a new rink) levels of crime rose in the area especially anti social behaviour.
10 hours ago · Like

Alan Haynes Bsc Havering council as well as every other London borough as well as Essex and Hertfordshire councils have to give money to Lee valley regional park whicn includes lee valley ice rink under the lee valley regional park act of parliment 1966.
2 hours ago · Edited · Like

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
I am really impressed with all the people involved in the "Keep Romford Skating" campaign and I really hope that all their hard work and determination will  make this Administration see sense and do the decent thing by providing a temporary Rink.

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

AngelDelight
The questions are very interesting.

This one:
Vicki Fidler Havering council gives Lee Valley Regional Parks 258k to spend on their leisure facilities.... One being ice hockey, they won't fund haverings children with a temporary rink but they will fund other boroughs !!! Shame on them.

Is very interesting and the response was even more so.

Think this needs to be highlighted a bit more? Our money going there is really not on.

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
Hi Angel, if you look at the last comment it mentions some act of 1966.  I still can see no reason why this Administration did not protect the users of the Ice Rink.  I cannot even begin to imagine how they must feel knowing that Havering Council supports Ice Hockey in another area but nothing for the sport in it's own area

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Independent man
Looks like Michael White could end up with egg on his face,a lot of people are very angry with him over the ice rink closing down, his let a lot of young ice skaters down with very bad planning over the new ice rink.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Totally.

AngelDelight

AngelDelight
ob

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

ob
I attended a Q&A session in the Liberty mall on Friday 8th February where Cllr Michael White confirmed the current offer to the 'users' of the rink is a rent free shell of a building up to the value of £2.1m yet Cllr Roger Ramsey on London Tonight less than a week later said that the council "had looked into the provision of a temporary ice rink but had been advised that it could cost £1.5m, and for something that could be only of use for 18 months - 2 years that it wasn't feasible in the current climate" Its rather strange that the council is not prepared to spend 1.5m on a fully functioning rink yet its happy to provide an empty shell of a building for more money (2.1m). In the same news programme Morrsions were quoted as saying that 67% of residents favoured the planned building of both a Morrisons and the new leisure facility. Were these people also told that this would mean the lack of a skating facility for at least 2 years. I think probably not and if they were they might not have such high figures.

I'm not sure who has been advising the council on the costings but for example the Brixton temporary rink (funded by Tesco, in a similar situation) which is a fully functioning rink available to all 'users' cost £3m and when this is no longer needed it can be sold on for around £1.5m and can last for quite a number of years. (Cardiff's temporary rink is at least 4 years old) Brixton temporary rink is leased to Planet Ice who run the rink for all the 'users', a deal I believe will mean Planet Ice will also run the new rink in Lambeth. Is it therefore not feasible to buy a second hand temporary rink which will be cheaper than the 'shell'? This could also be sold on to recoup some of the initial money.

Is it also not possible to start the tender process and combine the running of both the new and temporary rink now? There are several companies who run rinks who would clamber over themselves to take on a rink that has a large group of 'users' all ready to start paying rather that start from scratch in 2-3 years. Hockey clubs provide a set regular income unlike the public who are less predictable. Could Morrisons not have some financial input into a temporary rink in exchange for advertising on our shirts for example? Our children travel around the country representing 'Romford' and could do the same for Morrisons. I'm no expert but I believe this type of sponsorship is tax deductible too.

Speaking to Cllr Steven Kelly outside the full council meeting today he also stated that the council had talks last year with 3 people form the rink who apparently agreed to find a great deal of money to fund the excess and that could provide a ice pad. These 3 people were from the figure skating club as far as I am aware. Within the 'users' of the rink there is a Junior Hockey Club, Romford Raiders Club (adult team/run for profit), Figure Skating Club. There are also schools which have off site PE lessons, youth groups such as Scouts from various areas, after school clubs as well as a large number of public skaters. No single group represent the 'users' as a whole and equally no single group should be expected to fund and run a rink for all the 'users'. Bringing on board a company such as Planet Ice (or any other!) makes the 'users' one group effectively.

The rink is currently leased by the council to a company that charges all the groups listed to use the facility. It is the council that is closing this facility rather than the lease holder and it is the council that has know about this deal for a number of years. Lambeth, Manchester and Cardiff councils all had the foresight and sense of responsibility to provide temporary facilities prior to the closure of the 'old' rinks for the 'users'. Tesco had the community in mind when they agreed to fund the Brixton rink.

The length of time until the new rink has varied too. Some councillors stated 18 months some 2 years some 3 years. To be honest any could be true and any of those lengths of time would have a detrimental effect on the 'users' lives. Since I am a hockey parent I will focus on this aspect for a moment but all can be applied to the various 'users'.

You simply cant put a child's life or talent on hold for that period of time, within each age group in our club we have Southeast regional players and we have England level players whom travel abroad representing 'England'. These children could be future olympians. The current GB ice hockey team (who just received a funding grant from the International Olympic Committee) have been in Latvia attempting to qualify for the next Winter Olympics (unsuccessful but then maybe funding came to late for the current team, however, it did show that the committee believed GB ice hockey could compete at that level) . The team members all started out in local ice rinks just like Romford. My eldest son plays for the England u14's team and has already represented his country in Hungary and will do so again in Prague next month. If Romford closes he will have no choice but to give up as travelling to my next closest rink will add 40 minutes to his journey which I believe will be too much along side his education. By the time the new rink opens he will be almost 16 and will be playing in the u18's and as he would have been away from the sport for 2-3 year, missed out on England u15's, u16's and u17's.  He would not stand a chance at GB selection which starts at u18's. He is just one example out of the 500 children involved in sport at Romford Ice Rink.

Councillors have advised us to move to other clubs for the interim period. It is not that simple !. As there are so few rinks the two nearest rinks have clubs that are full and could not possibly have enough ice time for all the children within the hours children can attend (outside school time and before bed time!). If this was a possibility in doing so we would loose our identity as we would have to be part of their teams. 'Romford' Hockey would disband and 25 years of work, experience and talent gone. There is also the fact that these are school age children and travelling to either club could very well be impractical for some families, effecting their home life and education.

Havering a London Borough, 10 miles from the Olympic park, 6 months after a fantastic summer of sport are crushing the olympic legacy. This legacy was not meant to end when the Olympics did. In Havering's Olympic plan the top two priorities were:
T   1-To improve the health and wellbeing of Havering Residents
(The rink is used by a vast array of residents from within Havering and the surrounding borough’s. Not just through figure skating and ice hockey but public skating, schools, social groups and special needs groups. All of this surly is improving the health and wellbeing as prioritized by Havering Council.)
2-To PERMANENTLY increase opportunities to participate in Sports.
Taking away a facility that is already being used by thousands of people even if it is to be replaced in 2-3 years time is NOT permanently going to increase opportunities for residents to participate in Sports. If these people especially the children stop skating in whatever form for 2-3 years then the chances are they will never return to it.

 I have had numerous conversations with councillors within Havering and my own borough of Thurrock. Typically The Conservative ones don't want to know and the others appear supportive.  Since all I have got form the majority of these representative  is misleading or factually wrong I have lost faith in their integrity, sincerity and their ability to listen and understand basic facts. In short I feel they are not interested. They have made  it sound like the current offer was the only deal on the table when it simple is not true. It went from a temporary rink, to a building to a shell of a building and using semantics to backtrack and twist perceptions is not the sort of behaviour I as a voter expect from people I am meant to trust.
ob

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

ob
Thank you for sending me an email on your concerns, regarding the closure of the Romford Ice Rink, and on the fact that NO temporary Ice Rink will be put in place.  I fully agree with you, there will be  a very lot of upset children, including the parents who will feel they have wasted a lot of time dedicating to a sport their children will not be able to continue with. I will make a statement and go further than you. Will the new Ice Rink be built within two years, NO, noway, not a chance. Will this Council have a new Ice Rink built, I hope so, BUT I would not bet on it.    Do I trust them, NO. I questioned this Council a year ago in the Council Chamber when I made a statement and said that I did not think it would be financially possible to build a temporary Ice Rink in Romford, and further went on to say it could not be done, I was challenged on this by the leader of the Council and many other Administration members telling me, and laughing at my  statement by saying it was possible, it had been done before, and would not cost that much. I will copy my reply into the press who would have took notes at that meeting. This statement may also have been reported in the Recorder, if so this will help you, and all the Ice Rink members. I will continue to help the best I can. Don't stop trying, This Councils Ruling party told me at that Cabinet meeting it could be done, hold them to it. You can trust in my support.
Good Luck.
Councillor Jeffrey Tucker.
Leader of the Independent Residents Group.Rainham and Wennington Ward.London Borough of Havering.

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

AngelDelight
Hi ob,
That is really interesting.
I really hope something gets sorted out.
Cllr White really does need to resolve this. It is shocking with the lack of forward thinking.

I am quite cross that we pay towards Lea Valley when valuable funds could stay in Havering and fund this?

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Hi OB and welcome to Angry of Havering.  Your post really highlights the amount of effort and hard work these children have put into this sport and to be rewarded by having the facility taken away with no temporary facility is totally unacceptable.

I think that you are all doing such a brilliant job with your campaign and are really putting this Administration to shame.

I am glad to see that you have the support of many of the opposition councillors in Havering, hopefully they will debate this issue at the next full council meeting.  Check out the letters page in the Romford Recorder, one of the Independent Resident Group Councillors has wrote a letter regarding the closure of the Ice Rink.
ob

ob
we will have 3500 on the petition by the 27th Feb so they will have to debate it at full council so that should be interesting!

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
Hi OB, I have found out today that the next full council is not until the end of March.  I assumed that it would be the end of February.  This does not leave much time until the planned closure date.

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
Hi OB, I am now slightly confused as I just saw on your facebook page and checked the council web site and it seems that there is a meeting on the 27 February.

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Ian James
Hi Lorraine & OB

I hate to be a party pooper but I think the Con-Dem government recently changed the rules  regarding petitions and the 3,000 limit for full debate.

I may be wrong and its worth checking

Proud to have been deleted but still not defeated by the Romford Maffia !

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

I have just been advised that the full council meeting for the 27 February is just for setting the amount of council tax.  The next one for usual business is the end of March.
ob

ob
it still says it on the havering website about 3500, will have to think again re when to hand it in!!

Re: Romford Conservatives Show No Regard For The Users Of The Ice Arena and Use It As An Opportunity To Promote Themselves!!

Lorraine Moss
Hi ob, I will try and find out some more information tomorrow.