Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Council Witness
Havering people have once again been denied access to the national debate because of the ridiculous number of small independent / residents association parties and candidates. The electoral commission web-site shows a large number of parties listed in Havering - virtually unique in the whole UK. This situation is ruining the quality of political debate in Romford.

Independent parties / residents association parties should be strictly limited to ONE borough-wide organisation or none at all ! Havering looks like something out of Jonathan Swift with individual self-importance being put before fundamental political philosophy.

Our borough is the worst in the entire UK for the number of parties and we look like idiots as a result.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

dalek1
Really?
Did you look at the small parties and see how many seats they managed?
24 just four shy of an outright majority.
Not bad for groups no one has heard of!

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Percy
What have I said for years on here. Resident parties have prevented this Borough from having a real opposition for years. I can see the attraction they are the party of the Nimbys they want no change no building no immigrants no home less no young .In this borough they take the place of the Lib dems the party of no change. They got in in Richmond who want no Homeless no building no immigrants .They got in in South Cambridge where every village has signs saying no new towns here and they want no change. They can not get together and form the ruling party for two reasons first they are so different they could never agree and if some one wanted to build in Upminster they would try to get it moved to Harold hill or Rainham. The second reason is they have no real skills and could not deal with the running of the council the Tories or Labour would get help from the national party. Who could help 30 independents.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

confused of hornchurch

It's called democracy. One size never fits all.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Rastaozzie
Want no immigrants? What the Lib Dems? Are you kidding or have I missed a point in what they have been saying?

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Rastaozzie
I do agree that having so many different parties is a block to any real opposition and plays right into Havering Tory hands.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Winchy
Eh? In my ward (Romford Town)  we voters had the grand total of ZERO indy candidates to choose from! I don't get why  so many party loyalists of whatever hue think that their beloved party is ENTILTED to our votes!  Labour have got worse in this respect than the Tories in recent years.  No, the parties need to make the effort to EARN our vote.

I think the problem in Havering is the murky nature of the various indy and Residents groups - ie are they interlinked and therefore not truly indpendent?  Plus the backgrounds of the likes of Graham Williamson, steeped in the 1980s-era National Front.

I had hoped for some decent alternatives to the big parties in my ward but instead was stuck with the same old. I will try to make sure the same doesn't happen again in any future elections here.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

They need to move to our old manor Southwark is 100% Labour and Lambeth is not far behind,nothing moves over there until there have been 20 risk assessments,there is a whole department dedicated to not offending Anyone especially the gender fluid and fellow travellers the unsures.
Once all them premises have been met a senior official will ring the Peruvian Ambassador to get the required amount of diverse labour to complete whatever task is at hand.
I have it on good authority it works very well albeit there is sometimes a time lag running into months.l was told there was a project to build a nursery that 3 members of staff retired from due to the time it took to get all agencies involved agreement.
There is another group who have been trying to fathom out why the Elephant and Castle is always gridlocked,they have been trying to contact the Highways Department without success as they have taken to sitting in a dark room to avoid nervous breakdowns due to gross incompetence.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Same in Havering Park Tories, Labour, a Lib Dem and a UKIP,only the Tories canvassed.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

True to a point but if the smaller groups band together they can keep the Tories out of office!
Bit of pride swallowing needed and Barrett and co not taking the Tories 30 pieces of silver and doing what they are supposed to represent their voters as RA's and not tory stooges then we might have a chance.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Percy
Will never happen.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

dalek1
We can only hope Perky!

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

OLD CODGER
Well thier was a small party called labour in Pattits  and the candidate did well with little help did he spoil it for the Residents .
I dont want National issues in local politics.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Peter W.
In my Ward of Pettits if you added together the leading Labour candidates vote to the leading RA candidates vote that would have been enough to get elected.But is that a valid argument that an agreement between parties opposing the Tories could result in victory ?

Whilst at the count on Thursday night / Friday morning the subject of opposition to the Tories getting together to agree to stand a limited amount of candidates cropped up in conversation.Amongst the people I spoke to it would be fair to say there was some disagreement on the subject.
Some felt (For example in the Pettits Ward) if it could be agreed to stand only 3 candidates in opposition then voters would have a very clear choice ....Tory or not Tory.Others felt that a voter whose usual vote was (for example) Labour, wouldn’t necessarily cast a vote to a Residents Association candidate if the ballot had 3 Tories,2 RA’s and 1 Labour.Similarly they felt an RA voter wouldn’t necessarly vote for the Labour candidate if he/she only had 2 RA options.

I can see both sides of the argument.I have my own personal view on the matter but that’s irrelevant really as from the conversations I had it’s very unlikely to happen.I guess one of the main problems is that rightly or wrongly it’s perceived that the RA and Labour Party have little in common (apart from being not Tory) and vote transference couldn’t be taken for granted.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Peter W.
A few deals were made during this election,most notably in the Richmond area.

It seems that the Liberals and Greens agreed to stand between them only 3 candidates in certain Wards and partly  as a result the Tories went from 38 councillors down to 11 ,Liberals went from 14 up to 39 and the Greens managed to get 4 elected.

https://cabnet.richmond.gov.uk/mgElectionElectionAreaResults.aspx?EID=12&RPID=505221996

Of course the dynamics of Richmond are very different from Havering so perhaps this has no bearing at all on what would happen here if similar agreements were made in certain Wards.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Phil Wailing
I think it would be unlikely in Havering Peter, there are too many tin pot bloated over inflated ego's in the Independent/RA groups.

The Tory's cant fail in Havering as there is no realistic opposition to them. As the demographics change so will the voting but that is 10 years away at least. The 2022 and 2026 local elections will both return a Tory council.

Labour has a massive credibility problem with Corbyn at the helm, you also have the Blair Iraq war legacy to live with. Be realistic, no matter how decent he is, no matter how genuine they are, with Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and Diane Abbott fronting up the party you are utterly un-electable.

You need a credible very strong leader and you need Alistair Campbell pulling the strings. Love Campbell or hate him he knows how to win elections and control the media.

I like most of the country detest Tony Blair but until Labour are dragged screaming into the 21st century and accept the world has changed you will never win in places like Havering - You have a backward looking leadership that wants to return to the party's roots - The only problem with that is your roots are no longer there. Those generations are all dead.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

fred
That is a very good summation of where we are.Labour got more votes up here in Havering Park than last time,the demographics are changing up here as most houses that go up for sale in our immediate vicinity are bought by Africans or Asians,l would imagine most are Labour leaning.
I have nothing against bringing people into the country if they have the skills we need,but the present leadership of the Labour Party want unfettered immigration for the votes nothing else,we don’t need their labour Poland is supplying that.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Phil you've mentioned Labour need a strong leader but can you tell me who there is?
The only one I can think of is Tom Watson who could well unify all the factions of the party without making major changes to existing policies sending Labour back to the Bliarite days.
Personally I'd struggle find anyone else.

Re: Ridiculous Number Of Small Parties Undermining Politics in Havering

Phil Wailing
I don't believe Tom Watson is strong enough and I can't think of anyone that is. No one wants to see the party return to the Blairite days but you have to be a realist and accept the world has changed.

The UK is the most unequal society on earth - The top 1% own 25% of the country's wealth and the top 4% own 50% of the country's wealth. The 2 fastest growing groups in the UK are millionaires and billionaires.

We need a government with a social conscience, we need a government that will enforce a fair tax system, we need a government that will not tolerate non dom's, We need a government that will not tolerate off shore tax havens and multi nationals using tax avoidance.

The British multinationals Shell, British American Tobacco, Lloyds, SAB Miller and Astra Zeneca made a combined £30 billion in global profits yet did not pay a penny in corporation tax.

We need a government that will die of embarrassment that in the 12 months from April 2017 to March 2018 the Trussell Trust alone  handed out 1,332,952 three day food parcels to people in crisis and that is in the fifth richest country on earth.