Register to vote.

GAZZER
Hmmmm just seen this-did you know about it Angry people.

You may have heard about this - or (like many others) will have no idea about it. The government in their "esteemed" wisdom has changed the way we need to register to vote.
 The annual form sent to the Head of Household is being abolished, and now it is our personal responsibility to individually register to vote. You will need to go onto a website to register. All the usual qualifications apply and additionally ("to make the electoral register secure") you will need your National Insurance number.
 The website is: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
 It took me all of 2 minutes to complete my registration.
 The Government's publicity is scant. There are announcements on local authority websites, or leaflets in local information centres, and that is pretty much it. Thousands of people will only find out about it when they turn up to vote at the next General Election only to be turned away because they are not on the register. So please do your registration (obviously) but also tell all your friends about it. If anyone you know does not have the internet (elderly relatives or neighbours), they can contact the Electoral Registration Office at their town hall and the staff there will assist them - they will still need their NI number though. Together we can thwart any attempt by government to reduce the electorate.
 Please pass this message on to your contacts.

Re: Register to vote.

Lorraine Moss
Very useful information, thank you Gazzer.

Re: Register to vote.

Winchy
I'm sure I am not the only one here who didn't know about this.  Just looked into it a bit more and it seems that if you are already on the Register, IE you registered to vote for 2014,  then you don't need to register on the website UNLESS your NI details do not match the address on the voting list.  And in that case people will be contacted by letter and asked to register via the website.

Re: Register to vote.

Winchy
So if on this year's Register you don't need to do anything unless you move.

Re: Register to vote.

GAZZER
However its still worth spreading the news-personally I will re-register just to make sure.

Re: Register to vote.

Winchy
Gazza - is there still an "Edited Register"  option? Hope so,  I always used to tick this so that I don't get loads of junk mail (it seems to work too)
.

Re: Register to vote.

What about members of the electorate who are not computer literate, particularly the elderly, has provision been made for them?

Re: Register to vote.

Winchy
BTW Thank you for the message you sent me Lorraine,I just remembered I didn't reply to it before.

Re: Register to vote.

Winchy
Like I said folk on this year's one will be automatically transferred to the new one without having to do anything.  This will include most elderly people, although what they (and others who don't or can't use computers) will do if they change address is a good question. I'm assuming there is a paper form for such people instead but may be wrong.

Re: Register to vote.

GAZZER
Hmmm I will be encouraging and helping my older members of the family to register on this web site, before the next elections, even if their details are deemed to be transferable.

Sorry but I just don't trust the system-and who knows who may accidently delete my file instead of updating me - because I live in Emerson park.

If in doubt don't leave it out.

Re: Register to vote.

No problem Richard.

Re: Register to vote.

Romfordian
 (and others who don't or can't use computers) RWinch Don't worry the nice people at the RCA Western road will register them and get there proxy votes
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter