Local crime continues its downward spiral so it's time to get out into your local parks and community recreational areas. Oh!
Complete corpse of missing man Neill Buchel found in Rush Green lake.
Neill Buchel had been missing since March 13
Sam Blewett, Reporter Friday, April 4, 2014
3:16 PM (Romford Recorder)
Police have recovered the complete corpse of missing man Neill Buchel from the Rush Green lake where a human leg was seen floating three days ago.
This morning, the detectives confirmed that the discovered body parts are of the 39-year-old man who went missing from Braintree Road, Dagenham, on March 13.
Police have said that he was involved in an altercation with a group of men in Heath Park, Dagenham, earlier that day.
His estranged partner reported him missing five days later after he failed to contact his two daughters which she said was particularly out of character.
The Met’s Marine Support Unit had been trawling the lake since the leg was discovered on April 1 in the White Hart Lakes, off Chase Road.
An incident room has been opened at the Homicide and Major Crime Command in Barking under the control of Det Ch Insp Chris Jones.
He said: “I would like to ask anybody who has used the lakes recently if they have noticed anything unusual. In particular any local anglers who may have seen any suspicious activity or any new faces not usually present at the lakes.”
The leg was discovered by a resident, who did not want to be named, in the nature reserve after he was called over by a fisherman who had seen “something unusual”.
He said: “I got there and this thing that looked like part of a pig was lying on the verge half out of the water but I couldn’t tell what it was so I got a stick and flipped it over to find hair and a tattoo on the other side. It was disgusting.
“The stench of rotting flesh was really strong – a couple of the people there were heaving. It looked as if it had been crudely hacked at with a saw.”
Three men, aged 35, 41 and 35, were arrested over the murder investigation but have been bailed to a date later this month.
Anyone who can assist the police should contact the incident room on 0208 345 3734 or Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.
No wonder the Somerset Levels needed dredging! Abandoned vehicles rescued from river (and some of them have been there for DECADES)
Eight cars were recovered from a flood drain near Bridgwater, Somerset
Some of the vehicles thought to have been stuck for at least 20 years
Environment Agency denies the cars could have impacted on flooding
Were discovered as dredging finally got underway on Somerset Levels
Rivers cleared for the first time in almost two decades following floods
By John Hall
Published: 12:37, 4 April 2014 | Updated: 15:31, 4 April 2014
Dredgers clearing the flooded Somerset Levels have recovered eight abandoned vehicles from a river - with some of them thought to have been stuck there for decades.
Workmen spotted the cars in King's Sedgemoor flood drain near Bridgwater in Somerset while clearing rivers that flooded during the heaviest January rainfall in 250 years - forcing thousands to flee their homes.
Although the eight cars were found in a flood drain less than 350 feet apart, Environment Agency officials were quick to dismiss suggestions that the vehicles could have impacted on the flooding. (really?)
House of Commons’ champagne bill goes up and up despite austerity.
Tuesday 08 April 2014
Budgets are tight, but champagne consumption in Westminster appears immune to austerity measures. New figures uncovered by the Huffington Post UK show that there has been a substantial rise in the number of bottles of bubbly ordered by the House of Commons since the current coalition has been in power.
This tax year the catering services at Westminster bought 8,082 bottles of the luxury tipple, a 72 per cent increase from the 4,691 bottles purchased in 2010. The rise has been a steady one, with approximately 1000 more bottles ordered in each year.
The total cost of stocking the House of Commons with champagne has added up to £275,221 since 2010. This bought Westminster over 25,000 bottles, which MPs and their staff are able to buy at a rate subsidised by the taxpayer.
A spokesperson for the House of Commons attributed the rising champagne consumption to an increased number of reception events.
"The increasing trend is to sell more receptions than dinner events which attract a higher number of guests and is the reason for increased consumption and sales in alcohol. To accommodate this increase in demand, banqueting has increased its order of champagne stocks.”
Earlier this year Metro published anonymous complaints made by MPs about the on-site subsidised catering services. These included concerns about the "embarrassing" lack of Martini and a request for "more fresh game" to be introduced to the menu.
Man repeatedly stabbed through car window in latest violence in Islington
Stabbing: Elmore Street off Essex Road Picture: Google Street View
Published: 09 April 2014
Updated: 09:59, 09 April 2014
A driver was stabbed repeatedly through his car window in the third outburst of violence to rock a north London shopping district in two weeks.
The 28-year-old male driver was set upon after apparently colliding with cars parked in Elmore Street, off Essex Road in Islington at 2pm yesterday.
Police and paramedics attended the scene and the injured man was taken to hospital where his injuries were said not to be life-threatening.
The incident comes days after a man in his 20s was gunned down in Essex Road and a teenager was attacked with an axe in Upper Street, sparking fears of an upsurge in gang violence in the borough.
A witness wrote on Twitter: “Essex Road’s gone crazy again. Whole of Elmore Street taped off this time.”
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “An altercation took place between the occupants of two vehicles and a male in his late 20s suffered stab wounds.
“London Ambulance Service attended and he was taken to a central London hospital. His injury is not believed to be life-threatening.”
A spokesman from London Ambulance Service said: “We received a call just before 2pm to reports of a stabbing in Elmore Street. We treated a 28-year-old man for stab wounds who was taken to hospital as a priority.”
Two males, aged 28 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of affray in connection with the incident and are being held in custody.
It is the third serious incident in the area in the past two weeks. An 18-year-old almost lost his hand in an axe attack on Upper Street and a man was shot in the back in nearby Essex Road.
Councillor Paul Convery, executive member for community safety, has warned of: “a possible upturn in serious crime.”
Banks rip-off: £3bn overdrafts bill to be probed - it can be cheaper to take out payday loan
Apr 11, 2014 01:02
By Graham Hiscott
More than a third of the money banks make from current accounts comes from interest and charges when customers go overdrawn
Figures: Bank of England
Watchdogs are to investigate the £3billion-a-year banks rake in from rip-off overdraft rates.
More than a third of the money banks make from current accounts comes from interest and charges when customers go overdrawn.
Research shows going over the limit can work out more expensive than borrowing from payday lenders.
Now the Financial Conduct Authority is to investigate the market to get a better deal for customers.
Britons were £9.34billion overdrawn at the end of January, figures from the Bank of England show. And nearly half the 61 million current accounts in the UK have an overdraft facility – allowing customers to go into the red.
Figures from industry expert Moneyfacts show rates on authorised overdrafts have risen from an average 12.2% in 2012 to 13.83%, although rates on unauthorised lending have fallen.
Research by consumer group Which? showed it can cost up to £30 to go £100 overdrawn for a month, within an agreed limit, and up to £100 without permission. That compares with up to £37 for borrowing £100 for a month with some payday lenders.
FCA research found many people don’t realise how much overdrafts can cost. Others do not see an overdraft as borrowing and quickly become accustomed to having one. A previous study by the Office of Fair Trading suggested 10% of current account customers are permanently or usually overdrawn.
The FCA said banks may be tempted to raise overdraft limits to make money from interest and charges.
Christopher Woolard, from the FCA, said: “With overdrafts bolted on to more than 30 million current accounts, we want to make sure it is working well for consumers.”
Moneyfacts said: “There is a mix of percentage charges and fees, making it impossible to compare one account with another. This is not a new problem; it is a problem that has only just come to the fore.”
Monstrous cover-up: How the Liberal party, police and MI5 concealed MP Cyril Smith's industrial-scale child abuse
For four decades, 29st politician was free to prey on vulnerable children as young as eight
Police received at least 144 complaints from victims yet authorities blocked any prosecution
New book serialised in Daily Mail details how Smith - who died in 2010 aged 82 - was repeatedly protected despite being arrested for sex crimes
MI5 and Special Branch officers put pressure on police to drop investigations
Child porn was found in Smith’s car but police were ordered to release him
Liberal Party put his name forward for knighthood in 1988 in spite of rumours of his sordid activities swirling around Westminster
14 April 2014 Last updated at 06:15 (crime figures continue to fall)
'Black market' for stolen smartphones exposed By Guy Lynn and Ed Davey
BBC News, London
More than 30,000 phones have been stolen in London in the last year
A black market of shops and traders willing to deal in stolen smartphones has been exposed by a BBC London undercover investigation.
Intelligence was received that some shops across a swathe of east London were happy to buy phones from thieves.
Two traders were filmed buying Samsung S3 and iPhone 4 devices from a researcher posing as a thief - despite him making it clear they were stolen.
The shops involved have declined to comment.
Continue reading the main story
Alex McBride, a criminal barrister and author, said: "Handling stolen goods is an offence under the Theft Act, and depending on the value of the goods, it can certainly be a serious offence. If you were handling £250,000 worth of stolen phones a year it would amount to pretty serious criminality. It's irrelevant that you didn't actually do the taking - you are encouraging people to go thieving and robbing by monetising their ill-gotten gains on the black market. In my view, handling stolen goods is just as serious as theft. It carries a 14-year maximum prison sentence."
On receiving tip-offs about numerous rogue businesses, eight used smartphones were acquired by lawful means.
Each smartphone was personalised with images and backgrounds with contacts added, calls made and messages sent.
They were then all blocked or reported stolen to the networks.
The undercover researcher then offered the phones for sale - typically with messages on the screens reading: "This mobile has been stolen. This phone has now been locked. You have been reported to the authorities."
The researcher offered a phone to London Mobiles Ltd in Ilford, saying: "I not buy, I steal, yeah?"
When shown the screen message, the employee laughed and said: "It's stolen. It's very dangerous."
Money One shop made the researcher go outside before handing over cash
That did not stop him offering cash for the phone.
Nearby Ask Mobiles and Computers in Seven Kings, bought four "stolen" mobile phones from the BBC, making the researcher leave the shop before concluding the deals for up to £40.
Local crime figures continue their downward spiral.
Innocent family caught in crossfire as gunshots fired outside Dagenham schools
Police began a search after the incident in Ford Road, Dagenham. Police began a search after the incident in Ford Road, Dagenham.
Freddy Mayhew, Senior Reporter Wednesday, April 16, 2014
An innocent family was caught in the midst of a suspected gun fight after two cars collided outside a primary school.
The incident happened in Ford Road, Dagenham, outside the gates to Village Infants’ School and William Ford CofE Junior School at about 3.30pm yesterday – when hundreds of children would have been leaving for the day in term time.
Nearby residents said a family, including a man with two young girls and a baby, were caught up in the crossfire with one neighbour, who preferred to remain nameless, rushing out to rescue them.
“I looked out of the window and I saw a family was in the middle of it,” said the mum-of-three. “I was calling to them to ‘come here and be safe’, which they did.
“He had a tiny baby with him in a pram and two smaller girls. They were really shaken up.
“The little girl was saying: ‘They have got guns and knives’.”
She added one of the men told her “sorry you had to see that” as he ran back past her.
All agreed the incident “could have been a lot worse” if pupils – currently on their Easter holidays – had been at school.
Mum-of-one Sharon Fraser, 47, said the incident had “shocked” her, adding: “You hear about it on the telly but you never think it is going to happen on your own doorstep. It is worrying.”
Jennifer Muhly, mum-of-two, added: “It’s horrifying when it happens on your own doorstep. It makes you more protective of the children.”
A number of residents mentioned seeing two cars, including a black Ford Focus which was found abandoned on the roadside, and another silver car, which they allege drove off from the scene.
Neither saw the man who fired the shots, but two reported hearing between three and five loud bangs.
Police were seen combing the area yesterday before the car was towed away, but have yet to make any arrests.
No-one is believed to have been injured.
Officers from the Met’s Trident Gang Crime Command are investigating and have appealed for witnesses to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 with any information.
An assassin's armoury: Uzi submachine gun, James Bond's pistol and a WWII Tommy gun are seized from suburban home.
The 30 firearms were seized in raid at an address in Leyton, east London.
Includes assault rifles, sawn off shotguns and large amount of ammunition.
Police described the haul as 'exceptional' - a man, 51, has been arrested.
By Amanda Williams
Published: 14:17, 17 April 2014 | Updated: 14:33, 17 April 2014
Police have seized one of the largest ever hauls of weapons found in London - including a Tommy gun, a Walther PPK and an Uzi submachine gun.
The 30 firearms were found at an address in Leyton, east London, and include assault rifles, sawn-off shotguns and a large amount of ammunition.
Metropolitan Police described the haul, seized during a raid on yesterday morning, as 'exceptional'.
61 year old Ann McGuire , a Mum of two daughters Emma and Kerry and married to Donald. She was brutally murdered by an A grade student as she carried out her Spanish teaching duties in a classroom of 15 pupils. The teenage boy stabbed her several times in the back and neck. She was due to retire in 5 months after teaching for 40 years. Allegedly the boy , whose parents are divorced, has an older Brother. His father lives locally and the Mother had flown out of the UK to go on holiday that day. It is reported the boy had a grudge against Mrs McGuire because she gave him detention.