Harold Hill burglar confesses to break-in to ‘wipe slate clean’
Radas Balkevicius was jailed for four years. Picture: Essex Police
Court reporter Wednesday, February 12, 2014 (Romford Recorder)
A prisoner already serving a four-year jail sentence confessed to a break-in four-and-a-half years ago so that he could “wipe the slate clean”.
Radas Balkevicius, 22, of Daventry Road, Harold Hill, told police he was part of a gang that carried out a car key burglary at a house in Hertfordshire in August 2009 while the owners were asleep upstairs.
Car keys were taken from inside the house and a blue Audi A4 and a blue BMW were driven away.
Other property including a laptop and an iPod were also stolen, St Albans Crown Court heard on Friday.
Prosecutor Laura Blackband said that at Chelmsford Crown Court in April last year Balkevicius was jailed for four years.
He had raided homes all over east London and Essex, including Harold Wood, Romford, Ilford, Ingatestone, Grays, South Ockenden, Billericay, Blackmore, Chelmsford, Maldon and Tiptree.
The Lithuanian, who had been a drug addict, had broken into 169 homes. He pleaded guilty to two burglaries and one attempted burglary, but asked for 166 other offences to be taken into consideration.
He had been taken out of prison for a four-day “drive around” with the police because he wanted to clear up other crimes he had committed, including the Hertfordshire burglary.
Balkevicius pleaded guilty to burglary and asked for 17 offences to be taken into consideration. He appeared for sentence from Bedford prison.
Natalie Foster, defending, asked for credit for Balkevicius’ guilty plea.
Judge Andrew Bright QC said: “This was a very serious offence of the theft of high value vehicles while people were asleep inside their home. Your admission came as a result of your decision to clear the slate and put matters behind you. I take the view that if it had been before Chelmsford Crown Court it would not have made any difference to the sentence. People like you who want to put the past behind them should be encouraged.”
Don't worry, crime is at an all-time low according to police statistics.
Teen held after woman is found dead in hallway of flats in Bow
The woman was found dead in a block of flats in Bow.
Justin Davenport, Crime Editor
Robin de Peyer
Updated: 16:23, 12 February 2014
A teenager has been arrested over the murder of a woman who was found with severe head injuries in east London.
The 43-year-old victim was found collapsed in a communal hallway outside her flat in Bow shortly before 11am today and was later pronounced dead. She had suffered head injuries and a serious chest wound inflicted with a “sharp instrument”.
Scotland Yard said a teenage boy, believed to be 16, has been arrested a on suspicion of murder.
Neighbour Kazi Shahed 32, who lived above the woman, said she was a widow whose husband died years ago.
"She was a very good lady," he said. "She sacrificed her whole life for the kids because she was a single mum."
Another neighbour, named only as Abdul, 42 said: ""This is frightening, it's like a nightmare."
Pregnant woman who abused nine-month old baby and a five-year-old girl to please a paedophile she met on the internet is jailed for six years.
Nursery nurse Marie Raison met paedophile Paul Dent on dating website
Raison, of Dagenham, and Dent, of Tyne and Wear, jailed for six and seven years
After her arrest the 25-year-old blamed her sister for taking the photos
Judge Martin Zeidman QC said: ‘this was the most horrific of offences'
By Ben Endley
PUBLISHED: 15:57, 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 16:45, 14 February 2014
A pregnant woman who sexually abused a nine-month-old baby and a five-year-old girl to please a man she had never met has been jailed for six years.
Marie Raison, 25, sent disturbing images of her touching the two young children sexually to Paul Dent, 29, a paedophile she met online.
The pair met on an internet dating site and their conversations quickly turned to sex.
Marie Raison sexually abused a nine-month-old baby and a five-year-old girl in order to please a paedophile she met online
Paul Dent, who has a previous conviction for sexually assaulting a child, actively encouraged Raison to molest the young children
Dent, who has a previous conviction for sexually assaulting a child, actively encouraged Raison to molest the young children so he could satisfy his own desires, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard yesterday.
Raison, a former school cleaner and nursery nurse, was pregnant with another man’s child at the time of the offences between May and July last year.
When she was arrested Raison tried to blame her sister for taking the photos while Dent told officers he was angry that not enough women were being jailed for child sex offences.
Jailing Dent for seven years and Raison for six years Judge Martin Zeidman QC, said: ‘Ms Raison, this was the most horrific of offences.
Little Warley man jailed for part in gang that smashed up cars in insurance con
Mohammed Mahee Ferdhaus. Picture: Met Police Mohammed Mahee Ferdhaus. Picture: Met Police
Lizzie Dearden, Senior reporter Wednesday, February 19, 2014
9:33 AM (Romford Recorder)
The final member of a gang of men who smashed up top-end cars with baseball bats at “crash parties” as part of an insurance scam has been jailed.
Ferdhaus was the final man to be jailed under Operation Scarp.
Ringleader Haque, 29, of Lydford Road, Kilburn was sentenced to five years in prison and salesman Yusuf, 36, of Sandhurst Drive, Goodmayes, was given four.
Shalim Miah, 31, of Rampayne Street, Pimlico, was jailed for two years and Nazruislam Rahman, 34, of Turner Avenue, Tottenham, was given to a suspended one-year jail term and 140 hours of unpaid work.
Noveed Akthtar, 42, of Cochrane Court, Leyton, was sentenced to a year in jail and Halimur Rashid, 30, of Leamington Gardens, Goodmayes, was given fifteen months.
Businessman Mohammed Mahee Ferdhaus, 40, was sentenced to three years for laundering at least half a million pounds from a “crash for cash” con.
Also known as Jay Ferdhaus, of Prettigate Farm, Little Warley, Brentwood, pleaded guilty to offences under the Proceeds of Crime Act and was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on Monday.
His six accomplices, including his brother and ringleader Mohammed Samsul Haque, were sentenced in October 2011 following a four-year police operation.
The gang made £1.17million for themselves by faking insurance claims, police said.
Motor Alliance, a based in Tottenham, was set up by mastermind Haque to handle fraudulent insurance claims offering storage facilities and replacement vehicle hire.
Police also unearthed evidence of a “crashing party” at the garage at the Motor Alliance premises where the gang enjoyed some food and drink before Haque and Rosul Yusuf ordered people to smash cheap cars into high-end vehicles including Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars.
If the damage was not enough for a claim, they would then beat the most expensive cars with baseball bats, police said.
The conmen ensured the low value cars were always “at fault” in the fake claims, allowing them to make as much money as possible from repair costs for the damaged vehicle and storage.
They could make tens of thousands of pounds for a bogus courtesy car - often conveniently provided from the company’s stock of vehicles – by charging insurance companies up to £350 a day.
From November 2005 to October 2008 a number of London-based accident management companies were used as a front for at least 124 claims.
But the scam began to unravel after a duped insurance company tipped off the police about irregularities, leading officers to find 64 files relating to fake insurance claims in a 2008 raid that prompted the first arrests.
Over four years the investigating officers took over 500 witness statements and 10,000 pages of documentary evidence against the seven men.
Peterborough child sex gang sentenced at Old Bailey
Four men jailed for rapes and sexual assaults on five vulnerable girls in Cambridgeshire town
James Meikle and agency
The Guardian, Thursday 20 February 2014 17.52 GMT
Hassan Abdulla, top left, Jan Kandrac, top right, Renato Balog, bottom left, and Zdeno Mirga, bottom right, who have been jailed for a total of 54 years at the Old Bailey in London. Photograph: Cambridgeshire police
Four members of a gang were sentenced on Thursday or rapes and sexual assaults on five vulnerable girls, one with learning difficulties.
The girls were also forced to have sex with men for money, which was used to buy drugs and alcohol.
The gang, of Czech and Slovak Roma and Kurdish backgrounds, were convicted last month of attacks on the girls, aged between 12 and 14, from April to December 2012 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
Judge John Bevan QC, sentencing the men at the Old Bailey in London, singled out the gang's treatment of one victim, who had an IQ of just 54. She was repeatedly raped, with men and boys sometimes lining up to abuse her, he said. "To you she was easy meat, a sexual plaything who no one cared about, no one cared for and who nobody would believe. Unfortunately for you, the jury did."
Another victim became pregnant; a third self-harmed. One girl said in a statement released by Cambridgeshire police that the men had threatened they would kill her and her family if she reported them. "I am still frightened that they will kill me when they get out."
Another girl said: "My family were upset as they had never seen me so hurt and down as I was and there was nothing they could do to help me.
"I didn't want to tell them what had happened to me as I felt very uncomfortable. I didn't want them to be mad at me for not defending myself and stopping it from happening. I kept it to myself as I was so ashamed and embarrassed."
Det Supt Gary Ridgway praised the bravery of the victims. "Today gives those girls justice. Those who abused them are now behind bars," he said. "I'm pleased with today's sentences as it shows how seriously we, and the courts, take this kind of offending. It sends a clear message that we will not tolerate those who seek to exploit vulnerable young people."
Hassan Abdulla, 33, a drug dealer, who assaulted girls after luring them back to parties at his flat, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for four rapes and three counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity. The 18-year-old ringleader, Zdeno Mirga, who made one of his victims pregnant, faces sixteen and a half years in a young offender institution(YOI) for eight rapes and inciting prostitution.
Renato Balog, 18, was given a 12-year term in a YOI for five rapes and three sexual assaults, and 17-year-old Jan Kandrac five and a half years in a YOI for a rape and two indecent assaults on a child.
A 14-year-old who cannot be named was given a six-month supervision order for sexual activity with a child. He walked free after the judge was told he had spent seven and a half months on remand after being charged with rape. He was acquitted of that charge at a three-month trial.
Abdulla, whom the judge called a "dangerous predatory paedophile", came to Britain from Iraq in 2002, fleeing persecution, but had since been convicted of offences including drug possession, the court heard. His barrister, James Buchanan, said Abdulla still denied his guilt over these charges.
He, Balog and Kandrac face possible deportation after serving their sentences.
The judge criticised the gang for failing to have learned enough English to follow the trial or sentencing, despite having lived in Britain for up to a decade. There had been court costs of up to £40,000 for interpreters.
"The fact is that the defendants all came to this country with their families between five and 10 years ago and the majority are still teenagers," he said. "The acquisition of a new language is not difficult if you put your mind to it. They have not attempted to learn the language of the country of their choice. The combination of the crimes you have committed and your attitude to these crimes both in this country and this court bring discredit on all of you in the dock and does a disservice to your fellow Roma who want to work hard in this country, improve themselves and make a positive contribution."
Not bad for a country drowning in debt, and suffering from austerity.
We should open chequebook to rebuild Ukraine, says Osborne: Chancellor offers millions to new government
Chancellor: 'UK willing to pour taxpayers’ money to help new government'
‘We are here ready to help as soon as someone at end of telephone'
Ukraine may need a bailout since it has a dire ‘CCC’ credit rating
By Tim Shipman
PUBLISHED: 23:46, 23 February 2014 | UPDATED: 23:46, 23 February 2014
George Osborne offered the Ukraine a blank cheque last night to turn the ravaged country around
George Osborne offered the Ukraine a blank cheque last night to turn the ravaged country around.
The Chancellor said the UK is willing to pour millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money to prop up the new government.
Speaking at a meeting of G20 finance ministers in Australia, Mr Osborne said: ‘We are here ready to help just as soon as there is someone at the end of the telephone.
Tory private landlords charging exorbitant rents gaining from housing benefit paid to them by the taxpayer, these are :
Sir Richard Drax. Tory MP £13,830.
Tory Baron lliffe. Tory donor £195,072. Also donated £50,000 to the Tory party.
Tory Earl Cadogen. £116,400. Also donated £23,000 to the Tory party.
Tory Lord Cavendish. Tory peer £106,938.
RICHRD BENYON. Tory MP. £625,000 per annum. Benyon is worth £110 Million. Benyon also gained £2M in EU subsidy's for his farms since 2000. Benyon is the great great grandson of PM Lord Salisbury.
Benyon scrapped plans to dredge the Somerset levels.
£9.2 Billion of our welfare tax's have been handed to buy- to- let landlords and property tycoons in housing benefit this year.
35 councils have refused , under a FOI request , to name companies they pay huge sums to. All councils refused to name private landlords they pay housing welfare to.
The real ponces from the welfare system are the private landlords who create the hate campaigns against workers who have fallen on hard times.
More Ferraris are being sold in the UK than anywhere else in Europe, the luxury car manufacturer has confirmed.
Despite rising prices in 2013 as Ferrari cut production, record numbers of the tailor-made vehicles, costing a minimum of £151,000 – almost six times the national average salary – were sold in Britain last year.
Ferrari said 677 cars were delivered to the UK in 2013 as the country overtook Germany as its leading European market.
If we learn from our mistakes, why aint I a genius, If you educate the masses where's the advantage for the few?
The Top 5 Countries With the Lowest Level of Child Well-being (among rich nations)
United Kingdom 18.2
United States 18.0
Sources: UNICEF Child Poverty Report 2007
List Notes: Countries are listed in order of their average rank for six dimensions of child well-being: Material well-being, Health and safety, Educational well-being, Family and peer relationships, Behaviours and risks and finally Subjective well-being. The score is based on the average ranking position for all six dimensions with a low score indicating greater child well-being and a high score indicating lesser child well-being.
If we learn from our mistakes, why aint I a genius, If you educate the masses where's the advantage for the few?
Patient records should not have been sold, NHS admits. (I should think not, so why were they?)
The records should not have been sold to the insurance industry, says the Health and Social Care Information Centre which has taken over responsibility for NHS data
By Laura Donnelly, Health Correspondent
7:57PM GMT 24 Feb 2014
Medical records should not have been sold to the insurance industry, the new body in charge of NHS patient data has declared.
The Telegraph disclosed that 13 years of hospital data – covering 47 million patients – was sold by the NHS for insurance purposes.
The society which obtained the information used it to provide guidance to insurance companies about how to set their prices for critical illness cover, suggesting higher premiums could be justified for most customers below the age of 50.
The disclosure came days after controversial plans to extract patient data from GP records were put on hold, amid concerns over the scheme.
The news it provoked criticism from MPs on the Commons health select committee, who are expected to question NHS officials over the matter during a hearing tomorrow.