Queen's Hospital.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

 Trust challenges Queen’s Hospital’s ‘among the worst’ rating.

Queen's Hospital: 'Among the worst' for infections and cleanliness  Queen's Hospital: 'Among the worst' for infections and cleanliness

Sebastian Mann
Thursday, June 26, 2014
 5:51 PM   (Romford Recorder)

The trust that runs Queen’s has demanded answers after a new official website ranked the hospital “among the worst” in England for infection control and cleanliness.

The tool launched this week to give members of the public opportunities to compare different hospitals shows the Rom Valley Way hospital is performing relatively badly on preventing infections and cleaning.

But Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust (BHRUT) has called into question the figures, which appear on the NHS Choices website.

A spokesman said it had been 192 days since its last recorded case of MRSA and there had been only four instances of C. difficile in the last year.

“The Trust has an excellent record for infection control and cleanliness, so we have urgently asked NHS Choices to explain what data they have used,” he added.

The website’s indicator is made up of existing data regarding the number of C. difficile and MRSA infections, and patients’ views on the cleanliness of wards.

Queen’s rating does not describe how safe the hospital is, health officials stressed, but compares it with the performance of other hospitals across the country.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Woman, 29, unable to have baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital doctors miss ectopic pregnancy
Kelly Luscombe-Sarter  Kelly Luscombe-Sarter

by Sam Blewett, Reporter
Friday, June 27, 2014
 7:00 AM  (Romford Recorder)

Emergency surgery has left a 29-year-old woman unable to conceive a baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital after doctors missed her ectopic pregnancy.

The Romford hospital’s chief executive has vowed that a thorough investigation will be carried out into the patient’s care.

Kelly Luscombe-Sarter claims she nearly died last week as the result of the severe internal bleeding, due to her carrying a baby outside of her womb, she experienced two weeks after doctors had told her she had a complete miscarriage.

“If they noticed in the first place it would’ve been a simple operation and this would never have happened. I would still be able to have kids the normal way,” she said.

But doctors had to remove her remaining Fallopian tube in order to excise the foetus. She lost her the other when she was two weeks old.

Miss Luscombe-Sarter, who moved from Romford to Shevon Way, Brentwood, last year, first visited the Rom Valley Way hospital on June 2 after she experienced pain and heavy bleeding after intercourse.

She received blood tests and a scan the doctor told her on June 10 it was likely she had a complete miscarriage.

On June 16 she returned after she was continually in agony. “They didn’t bother with a scan, they said it was a possible infection and sent me on my way but I was still in agony,” she said.

As the pain worsened she returned on June 18 when the doctor noticed the internal bleeding and the ectopic pregnancy.

“It’s really awful - they didn’t miss it once they missed it three times,” she said.

“If it wasn’t for me going back there I wouldn’t be here any more.

“I can understand they are short staff but this is just not on.

“I want compensation, when I go for IVF in the future, I will have to pay for it.”

Chief executive Matthew Hopkins said: “This must be a very distressing time for Miss Luscombe-Sarter and I will ensure that a full and thorough investigation is carried out into the care that she received.

“We take patient safety extremely seriously, and strive to be an open and honest organisation, so we would always encourage patients to contact us to discuss any concerns they might have.

“I hope that Miss Luscombe-Sarter will meet with us once an investigation has been carried out so that we can share our findings with her and any learnings or improvements that might be necessary.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

GAZZER
The NHS will never get better-its terminal decline is a symptom of mass immigration and unskilled third world medical staff with third world fake medical qualifications.

It will be privatised.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

NHS trust misses A&E target
Queen's Hospital, which along with King George Hospital missed A&E targets by 10 per cent.

Sebastian Mann
Thursday, July 3, 2014
 3:30 PM  (Romford Recorder)

The NHS trust that runs Queen’s and King George hospitals missed a government target for seeing A&E patients within four hours by 10 per cent.

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) admitted or discharged 85 per cent of patients within four hours during May.

The figure, revealed a trust board meeting yesterday, shows there has been no improvement on last year, when in one week in June, 86.4pc of A&E patients were seen within the timeframe.

Recently it emerged that the emergency department at King George Hospital, Goodmayes, could remain open beyond 2015.

A provisional date for closure had been set for next year, with the condition that it was clinically safe to do so.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Call for urgent probe into ‘appalling’ rise in missing valuables reports at Queen’s Hospital

Sam Blewett, Reporter
Monday, July 7, 2014 (Romford Recorder)
 7:00 AM

“Appalling” figures have revealed that almost 50 patients and visitors have had jewellery go missing as they received treatment at Queen’s Hospital since 2011.

Romford MP Andrew Rosindell called for an “urgent investigation” after a Freedom of Information Act submitted by the Recorder revealed the scale of losses.

There have been 48 reports of lost, missing, or stolen jewellery from the hospital, according to the figures disclosed.

The number of reports made has risen year-on-year since 2011, when seven cases came to light.

Last year the number reported reached 18. So far this year there have been 11 reports.

Mr Rosindell condemned Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT), which runs the Rom Valley Way building.

He said: “It’s appalling. There’s a series of incidents and there needs to be an urgent investigation by BHRUT to find out what’s going on.

“It just gives people another reason not to want to go into Queen’s Hospital.”

A BHRUT spokesman insisted that the trust works hard to keep patients’ property safe and secure but said it is “impossible” to guarantee property is never at risk as patients and visitors are permitted access to wards.

But chief executive of national healthcare charity The Patients Association, Katherine Murphy, was shocked at the findings.

She said: “We are very saddened to hear the scale. We appreciate it’s difficult for hospital trusts to monitor and police jewellery, but trusts should be doing everything possible to let patients and relatives know they shouldn’t bring valuables with them.”

The trust spokesman insisted that patients are advised to keep valuables at home.

He added: “The trust’s security policy is being constantly reviewed and we are doing all we can to protect property.”

Robert Nicholls, 50, contacted the Recorder in June sparking the investigation.

His 94-year-old grandmother Bertha Guymer, of Hornchurch, had her wedding and engagement rings stolen from her fingers as she lay dying there in May, he claims.

On hearing the latest revelations, Mr Nicholls, of Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, said: “I’m not surprised at all. After the first instance, it should have been set upon and found out what was happening. To hear that there has been nearly 50 incidents – it’s ridiculous.”

He accepted how difficult it must be to ensure that belongings are secure in the hospital, but said “they are not going to find the jewellery now and the damage is already done”.

Other families contacted the Recorder after we reported Mrs Guymer’s loss to say similar losses had affected their loved ones:

Gladys Adams:

On Christmas Eve 1944, using a ring crafted by her brother, Gladys Adams married her sweetheart when he was on leave from the RAF.

But her ring was stolen overnight while she received treatment at Queen’s Hospital, her son Barry has claimed.

It was recorded that Mrs Adams, 89, was wearing the diamond solitaire, valued at £2,500, at 3am but when she went for tests at 7am it was gone, Mr Adams, 64, of Hainault Road, Romford, said.

Mr Adams said that it would have been “very difficult” to remove the ring because her fingers were swollen because of arthritis and she would never have taken it off because of the “sentimental value”.

The loss plagued Mrs Adams until she passed away in January.

Mr Adams said: “My mother remained distraught every day until she died about the fact someone may have stolen her ring – it absolutely broke her heart.”

He added that nurses at the time of the incident suggested that the rings may have been “lost in the laundry”.

Bertha Guymer:

Bertha Guymer would have been “devastated” if she knew she would be without her wedding and engagement rings when she died.

The 94-year-old had not removed the rings once during the 74 years since she married her late husband Robert while he was on leave during the Second World War.

The rings, as previously reported in the Recorder, went missing in May when she died at Queen’s Hospital.

An “extensive” but fruitless investigation into the “loss” of the rings was carried out by the trust and police who had received a “report of theft”.

Daughter Pat Nicholls, 71, of Hedingham Road, Hornchurch, said: “If she knew she would have died without the rings on her fingers, she would have been absolutely devastated about it.”

She added that if they were stolen, the jewellery would have to have been taken with force from her mother’s fingers, which were swollen with arthritis.

Victoria Kingsnorth:

The wedding ring of a 93-year-old patient’s deceased mother went missing along with her own two rings as she stayed at Queen’s Hospital. Rosa Kingsnorth, of Lake Rise, Romford, was checked into a ward in January last year wearing the three rings.

Granddaughter Victoria Kingsnorth, 30, of Romford, said; “The following day I noticed all the rings had vanished.”

She added that staff filled in a property form listing the rings but when she complained the form had “gone missing”.

Elizabeth McHugh:

On an 88-year-old woman’s hand were three diamond rings and two gold rings when she arrived at the hospital.

But when Elizabeth McHugh, of Dreywood Court, Gidea Park, was discharged in April last year she had just the gold pair.

Granddaughter Stacey McHugh, of Lindfield Road, Harold Hill, said: “It’s funny how the gold ones remained on her fingers.

“If there is a thief preying on the sick and dying elderly, that is disgusting.”

Miss McHugh, 33, said she did not report it to the police because she expected they had “more important” things to do and questioned how many others have not reported their losses.
jon

Re: Queen's Hospital.

jon
i have this problem with queens went in to have stomoch opp they could not find my notes so landed up in there a month after opp cancelled 3 times , returned 3 weeks later as server stomoch pain to get told i will be transfered to london hospital , then told can go home to wait . so left at home with a messed up stomoch,pressure on beds letting people down  .
jon

Re: Queen's Hospital.

jon
i also had a expensive watch go missing when i had to go for a scan , was told to take it off and put in locker when came to it was gone , was not patiant as they were unabled to get out bed , also a nurse had her engagment ring stolen same week from her locker . i reported this but moved ward that day and never heard anymore .

Re: Queen's Hospital.

bellend
you got out with your life jon, you beat the odds.

jon

Re: Queen's Hospital.

jon
thank you bellard with how i am now , i wish i never had this opp , i was taken back to the ward after, then they said they could not nurse me as epidroal so i was taken back to recovery then told next day the epidral was not working so had morthine pump .

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Oh dear!

Community health professionals, not paramedics, to attend 999 calls
Romford's Queen's Hospital, which is run by BHRUT  Romford's Queen's Hospital, which is run by BHRUT

Sebastian Mann
Sunday, August 31, 2014
 6:00 PM  (Romford Recorder)

Community healthcare professionals and not paramedics will be attending certain 999 calls from the end of September, under plans drawn up to ease pressure on A&E departments.

The pilot project has been set up as part of an improvement plan for the NHS trust that runs Queen’s and King George hospitals.

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust (BHRUT) was placed in special measures in December after a damning inspectors’ report.

Certain elderly patients, whose calls would be screened at the 999 stage, could receive treatment at home instead of in hospital under the plans.

Health professionals will be sent to see such patients, and they will have a direct line to the elderly receiving unit at Queen’s, which will judge whether the patients need to attend hospital.

The plans are in their early stages, and led by the London Ambulance Service.

A spokesman said: “We can confirm we are in discussions with BHRUT to explore alternative care plans for the elderly community to help ease A&E pressure.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Percy.
Lucky they do not have to contact or email a call centre in India as a first step .I suppose that is next years plan.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

GAZZER
Its full of Asian types, who are obviously trained as Veterinarians-however what would we expect form operatives trained in the third world.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Why don't you suggest that to the Queens' management, I'm sure they would be interested in your comments.

A) They could make a killing by keeping the aged hanging on to premium rate number for an hour or two.

B) Some of the more urgent cases may pass away before they receive any urgent medical help, thus reducing the 'surplus population'.

C) Some patients in desperation may ask a neighbour to run them to A&E and the hospital can then hit the unsuspecting motorist/good Samaritan with excessive parking charges.

Nice to see you 'thinking outside the envelope'.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Pathetic!! that's what our once great NHS is now, they even charge it worker to work there.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Travellers move to Queen’s Hospital, Romford
Travellers were living in Westlands Playing Fields.

Sam Blewett, Reporter
Monday, September 8, 2014
 3:01 PM (Romford Recorder)

Travellers have moved onto land at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, just days after a group was evicted from Westlands Playing Fields.

Hospital managers Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) confirmed that caravans moved into Oldchurch Park which surrounds the Rom Valley site yesterday.

The director of estates and facilities for BHRUT, Jackie Nugent, said the trust is working with the council and police to ensure the travellers are moved on “as quickly as possible”.

She added: “We have put in place additional security measures onto our site to discourage any further vehicles. I would like to reassure our local residents that we are doing everything possible.”

The caravans have been pitched near the children’s play park and have gained access by driving along a narrow footpath that lies between the hospital and Queen’s Day Nursery, according to a neighbour.

The father, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was pushing my 16-month-old daughter in her pram this morning when one of them came driving towards me.”

He said that he had to move up onto the embankment to avoid the car.

He added: “Their kids are playing in the play park and my wife doesn’t feel comfortable going there. It’s unacceptable.”

Havering Council was forced to take the group that had been staying at Westlands Playing Fields, in Romford, to court on Friday.

The Travellers moved on later that afternoon after the council successfully convinced Barkingside Magistrates’ Court to issue them with an eviction notice.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Percy.
I could not see them this morning nor could I see any work on demolishing the old skating rink.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch
Neglect.

Midwife who went home instead of helping 'heavily distressed' mother and her unborn baby - who BOTH later died - is struck off.

Rebecca Matovu failed to help Sareena Ali, 27, at QUEEN'S HOSPITAL, ROMFORD
This was despite desperate pleas from Ms Ali's family, as she was 'in agony'
Ms Matovu ignored three calls from Ms Ali’s panic stricken husband
Then went home instead of helping with resuscitation efforts
Ms Ali needed emergency Caesarean section, but baby died short time later
She died five days later from ruptured womb and massive organ failure
Coroner declared hospital staff had contributed to death through neglect
Ms Matovu has now been struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council

By Anna Hodgekiss for MailOnline

Published: 16:17, 17 September 2014  | Updated: 19:33, 17 September 2014

Sareena Ali (pictured) and her baby died after poor care at Queen's Hospital, Essex. The midwife who failed to care for her - Rebecca Matovu - has now been struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council

Rebecca Matovu failed to help Sareena Ali, 27, despite desperate pleas from her family that she was in agony at Queen’s Hospital in Romford, Essex.

Ms Matovu ignored three calls from Ms Ali’s panic stricken husband and brother, even refusing to help when the family resorted to banging on the nursing station doors.

When she realised Mrs Ali was cold and unresponsive, Ms Matovu went home instead of helping with resuscitation efforts as her shift had ended, the Nursing and Midwifery Council hearing heard.

Ms Ali had to have an emergency Caesarean section, but the baby died shortly after being born.

The mother was left in intensive care on a life support machine, but died from a ruptured womb and massive organ failure five days later.

At the inquest in 2011, coroner Chinyere Inyama found that staff at the hospital’s maternity unit, one of the largest in the UK, had contributed to the death through neglect.

Ms Matovu has now been struck off after the NMC hearing for failing to help the ‘utterly dependent’ Mrs Ali.

Clive Powell, chairing the NMC panel, said: ‘By ignoring the pleas for help that were made by the patient’s husband, Ms Matovu failed to listen to the people in her care and this is especially serious given that she was acting as midwife in charge.

‘This demonstrated a failure to act kindly and considerately.

‘Further, it should have been abundantly clear to Ms Matovu that the actions of her team were placing the patient at risk and yet she took no action.

‘Moreover, Ms Matovu is an experienced midwife who should have been able to recognise the signs that a serious situation was unfolding before her.

‘It is agreed that Ms Matovu should have recognised that an emergency situation had arisen given that she was personally asked to call the crash team.

‘As a midwife in charge, even if she had formally ended her shift, it was imperative that Ms Matovu assisted her colleagues and sought to find out whether her skills were required.’

Mrs Ali, a sales assistant at Harrods, was induced on January 23 2011.
She arrived with her husband, mortgage consultant Usman Javed, at the hospital at 10am, but by 7.05pm she was in obvious difficulties.

Between then and 9.40pm, Mr Javed went to the nurses’ station for help three times but was ignored by Ms Matovu and her colleagues.

He told the inquest: ‘The midwife just laughed and said that once she is in labour the pains are just going to get worse.

‘One of them told me "have you not been reading books? What have you been doing for the last nine months?". But I told them I am not a doctor, I don’t know what to expect.’

Ms Matovu left the ward before the crash team arrived, and failed to provide any assistance to colleagues about Mrs Ali’s condition.

At the inquest into Ms Ali's death in 2011, coroner Chinyere Inyama found that staff at the Queen's Hospital maternity unit, one of the largest in the UK, had contributed to the death through neglect

Resuscitation was attempted on Mrs Ali, who had suffered a miscarriage before, started at 10.05pm, and the baby was delivered soon afterwards but showed no signs of life.

A 2011 investigation into the hospital after a string of mother and baby deaths, including Mrs Ali, exposed a ‘culture of abuse’ among midwives.

Ms Matovu is the second midwife to be hauled in front of the NMC over the death of Mrs Ali and her baby.

She claimed she had handed over care of her patients when she left the hospital, and said she was not the ‘midwife in charge’ at that time.

However the NMC panel found she had failed to respond to reasonable requests of assistance from Mrs Ali’s family.

She was also found to have failed to provide adequate assistance to colleagues and to have left the ward before the crash team arrived.

She has now been struck off the professional register, and must wait at least five years before she can seek restoration.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2759456/Midwife-went-home-instead-helping-heavily-distressed-mother-unborn-baby-BOTH-later-died-struck-off.html#ixzz3Ddx2361j
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Percy.
Yes struck off but can move abroad do a six months refresher and carry on then in a year come back as a locum.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

bellend
it's your right to choose the hospital.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Queen’s midwife ‘placed own interests ahead of patient’s’
Usman Javed and Sareena Ali at Queen's Hospital, hours before she gave birth to a stillborn baby. Sareena died five days later on January 28, 2011  Usman Javed and Sareena Ali at Queen's Hospital, hours before she gave birth to a stillborn baby. Sareena died five days later on January 28, 2011

Sebastian Mann
Friday, September 19, 2014
 7:00 AM  (Romford Recorder)

A midwife at Queen’s Hospital who failed to help a woman who later died along with her unborn child has been suspended for three months.??????

Rebecca Matovu “breached the fundamental tenets of the profession by placing her own interests ahead of her patient’s” when she left the hospital at the end of her shift, despite being a senior midwife who should have known the ­seriousness of the situation, the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) found.

Sareena Ali, 27, died at the Rom Valley Way hospital on January 28, 2011, after five days on a life support machine.

She had collapsed as Ms Matovu was leaving, following several ignored requests for help from her family, a conduct and competence committee heard.

The regulator determined Ms Matovu had “failed to provide a high standard of care” by leaving the hospital because she had a lift waiting even though urgent assistance had just been called for sick Mrs Ali.

“Such a failure strikes to the very heart of the profession as it displays no evidence of the caring attitude that was paramount at such a vital time for both mother and child,” the committee said in a report.

The NMC considered a striking off order but deemed it disproportionate.

“To permanently remove Ms Matovu from the register would be to deprive the public of the services of an otherwise competent midwife who has the backing of her employer,” the report said.

Another midwife, Ilene Machakata, is facing disciplinary action over the same incident.
12345678 ... 15