Queen's Hospital.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

‘Relentless work’ sees hospital trust lifted out of special measures
Ross Lydall
Tuesday 7 March 2017 09:39 GMT

The Evening Standard

The improvements saw the trust lifted out of 'special measures'
A hospital trust once rated as the worst in London after a spate of maternity deaths and its A&Es being judged “unsafe” was celebrating today as it became the first in the capital to be lifted out of special measures.
Care Quality Commission inspectors said there had been continued improvements at Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS trust since Queen’s and King George hospitals were ranked inadequate in December 2013.
Urgent and emergency care at Queen’s, in Romford, is no longer regarded as inadequate for safety. Other areas, such as dementia care and the work of neonatal and community teams to provide babies with oxygen to live at home, were judged outstanding.

Lynda Hassell, the trust’s divisional nurse for child health, said: “I think it will be an enormous boost to staff who have worked so hard relentlessly to drive through improvements.”
Overall the trust was ranked as “requires improvement” but will now have more freedom to run its affairs.
However, it was warned that it was failing to meet cancer treatment targets, that it had to help ambulance crews turnaround within 15 minutes and that it relied too heavily on agency staff.@RossLydall

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Much improved?

Bereaved mother is 'forced to wait three hours in A&E with her dead baby in a HANDBAG' after suffering a miscarriage
Tammy Anderson, 33, went into labour at 15 weeks but son Archie died
She had to carry his body in her bag after midwives told her to go to hospital
Ms Anderson, of Essex, said she then waited for three hours in casualty
Events planner has slammed her treatment by staff at Queen's Hospital, Romford
By Joseph Curtis For Mailonline
Published: 07:13, 21 July 2017 | Updated: 09:30, 21 July 2017

A mother has revealed how she endured a terrible ordeal after waiting for three hours in casualty with her dead child in her handbag.
Tammy Anderson, 33, went into labour prematurely at her home in Dagenham, Essex, just 15 weeks into her pregnancy.
She suffered a miscarriage and gave birth to the body of son Archie and then phoned midwives, who initially said they would come to see her but eventually asked her to go to Queen's Hospital in Romford.
Ms Anderson said she was made to wait for three hours in A&E while her baby was 'in a cover in her overnight bag'.

Tammy Anderson, pictured, has revealed how she waited in casualty for three hours with the body of her dead baby son Archie in her bag after going into premature labour at home

The events planner, of Essex, pictured left and right, was told to go to Queen's Hospital in Romford after calling midwives but said she was treated with 'no compassion or respect'
After seeing a doctor she handed her son over to the staff and was told she would be put in touch with bereavement workers – but claimed no one spoke to her for another 48 hours.
She told the Mirror it was a 'horrific and traumatic' experience.
Ms Anderson said: 'I was being sick while I was in the waiting room because I was so scared and shaken. I got to the point where I was begging the staff to come and help me.

'They didn't treat me like a human being, there was no compassion or respect.'
Ms Anderson and partner Shaun Hammond, 44, discovered she was pregnant in April, but the events planner was told she had miscarried a month later by doctors at the hospital after suffering a bleed.
It was never confirmed by tests and she subsequently suffered the ordeal at home, helped by her 'very brave' 14-year-old daughter Jamie-Leigh, who helped her mother cut the umbilical cord and wrap Archie in a blanket.

Ms Anderson shared her ordeal on Facebook to raise awareness of what she went through

She also confirmed she would be formally complaining about her treatment at Queen's Hospital
Ms Anderson added carrying her baby in her bag 'ripped her to pieces' and she 'still feels numb' at the way she was treated.
She told the Mirror: 'Three hours later I was still waiting for the gynaecological registrar to come down. How they left me for so long with my dead baby in my bag is unbelievable.'
Ms Anderson also shared her experiences in a Facebook post to raise awareness while she confirmed she was making a formal complaint.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, has confirmed it has launched an investigation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4716970/Mother-forced-wait-E-dead-baby-bag.html#ixzz4nSOcw42h
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Concerns raised over missed and delayed cancer diagnoses at Havering’s NHS trust, report finds
PUBLISHED: 17:17 05 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:38 05 October 2017
Ralph Blackburn   Romford Recorder

Queen's Hospital
Concerns have been raised over an “increasing number of serious incidents” at Havering’s NHS trust due to missed or delayed diagnoses for cancer.

BHRUT response

Dr Nadeem Moghal, medical director of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, writes:
We are all aware of the issues highlighted, and have been working together with the CCG for some time, along with other key partners and experts to take appropriate action. We have made significant progress in recent weeks, and this picture is therefore somewhat out of date.
Mortality rates are influenced by a huge number of complex and interrelated factors, so we are working to explore exactly what the underpinning causes are, so we can work with key partners to tackle them together.
Our internal data is showing an improvement already, but as the national benchmarking is on a rolling basis, it will take some months before this is shown in the reported national figures.
Regarding our processes in theatres, we have already made substantial progress in analysing and changing our approach in the light of the never events we reported.
This has included comprehensive training, more cross-site checks, standardising our approaches to reduce the risk of variation and ensuring all disturbances and disruption during procedures are minimised.
We have previously acknowledged our areas to develop around certain radiology procedures. We have made significant changes and improvements in the light of recent feedback.
This has included the introduction of a new way of working to ensure all our procedures in the specific area of visipaque swallows are robust and in line with national standards and best practice. More broadly, we are delivering a comprehensive review of the entire department, working closely with the Royal College of Radiologists.

Redbridge Clinical Commisioning Group (CCG) has highlighted this, the levels of staff during surgery and the mortality rate at Queen’s and King George hospitals in its latest board papers.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) responded saying it has been working with key partners for some time to address these issues, as Dr Nadeem Moghal’s comments to the right show.
The board papers, published last week, read: “Over the past few months we have seen an increasing number of serious incidents coming through specifically related to missed or delayed diagnosis for cancer.”
The CCG also cites a “case of potential clinical harm as a result of delayed reporting and the trust not acting on the radiology results”. The coroner issued an order for BHRUT to provide updates on how its prevent future deaths, after similar concerns at an inquest in March.
The CCG also said it was “significantly concerned around the trust’s Mortality Reduction Improvement Plan”, which is designed to reduce deaths in hospital. The board papers read: “Although an improvement plan has been put in place, we are yet to see a reduction.”
The CCG was so worried it has since raised the issue with NHS England and NHS Improvement.
Regarding surgery the papers stated: “There are also concerns that operations are being carried out without a full complement of staff, as staff are leaving the theatre to scrub for emergency operations.”
Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas said: “Cancer is a terrifying disease and I am deeply alarmed to here about diagnosis failings and an increasing number of serious incidents, including at least one death, within the health trust. It is vital we get to the bottom of this matter urgently.”
Mr Cruddas said he would be writing to the coroner and the trust for full details of the incidents.
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell commented: “I know the CCG and NHS England treat the reports from the Queen’s and King George Hospitals with the highest importance. The inadequacies are clear for all to see and we must ensure areas such as cancer diagnosis and excess deaths are not overlooked.”
The Tory MP pointed out that cancer survival rates are at an all time high.
He added: “As an organisation, BHRUT strive to deliver the best possible care, we must remember they are one of the biggest providers across London and other trusts across in the capital deal with a significantly smaller amount of patients.
“Nevertheless, I will be speaking with the head of the trust, Matthew Hopkins, to ensure actions are already in place to rectify areas of concern.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Matthew Hopkins? Wasn't he the Witchfinder General as played by Vincent Price? This may be worse than you thought.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

An unfortunate name isn't it.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Queen's and the NHS may not be as bad as we think..................

My cousin, who lives in Arkansas, has mailed me about a disturbing cock-up in his locality. A man age 54 was in hospital for an exploratory op. When he awoke, he was horrified to find that the surgical team had mistakenly performed an orchidectomy...in other words, snipped off his conkers. His wanking days are over. My cousin reckons he'll sue the hospital, but I doubt if he's got the balls to see it through.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Feeling the pinch?

Queen’s Hospital trust’s finances under investigation after taking £15m emergency loan from the NHS
PUBLISHED: 16:12 03 November 2017 | UPDATED: 16:46 03 November 2017
Matthew Clemenson

Queen's Hospital, flagship hospital of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Havering’s hospital trust is having its finances formally investigated by the NHS after it was forced to take out a £15m bail-out loan.

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust (BHRUT), which runs Queen’s Hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford, and King George Hospital in Goodmayes, required the emergency funds after racking up a number of bills to non-NHS suppliers that had been outstanding for more than 90 days.
The Recorder understands that some suppliers have even threatened to take the trust to court over the unpaid bills.
An NHS Improvement spokeswoman confirmed the organisation had opened a formal investigation into BHRUT’s finances, and that London-based audit firm Grant Thornton would be leading the independent review of the trust’s cash flow.
She added: “This kind of investigation is a key element of our role as a regulator, and will take into account the work and findings of the review being carried out by Grant Thornton, with whom we will be working closely.
“To avoid any perception of conflict of interest, the work is being led by a team independent of the NHS Improvement London region.”
In board papers published after the trust’s last governance meeting on October 31, a finance report painted a bleak picture.
The report, presented by BHRUT’s acting director of finance and investment, Steve Collins, explored a worst-case scenario where the hospital trust found itself £30.3m in debt if £20m of expected income was disputed by healthcare commissioners.
It read: “The trust’s trading position continues to place extreme pressure on the cash position, with quarterly PFI payment due in early October.
“The trust has requested loan support finance to pay aged creditors.
“The trust is urgently reviewing its financial management and future cash requirements.”
Matthew Hopkins, BHRUT chief executive, said the trust had “had a particular challenge this year”.
He added: “We have recently uncovered a significant short-term cash flow issue within our trust.
“We have taken prompt action to resolve the situation, and have secured a loan from our regulator, NHS Improvement to do this.”
Mr Hopkins went on to stress that the problems had had no impact on patient safety, and that no treatments or operations were affected.
“We are very aware however, of the impact this has had in some circumstances on our local suppliers and partners,” he said.
“We value them greatly. We would like to thank all our suppliers and partners for their continued support and patience, in helping us care for our patients - we couldn’t do our work without them.
“We have already resolved many of the outstanding payments, and will be taking steps to deal with the remainder as soon as possible.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

fred
PFI

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Yes fred, no need for further comment.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Percy
I attended a meeting in Romford today where one of the presenters was from the team that run our tri borough health service. He gave a presentation stating that the three boughs had to find £55 miilion in cuts this year with Havering having to find £25 million.He followed it with a list of services they were no longer going to provide. No painkillers no cough remedies no cataract surgery no varicose veins no Earwax services no osteology only one round of Invitero   fertilisation.The list was endless I have the documents and will scan them in later. However the overriding message was do not get sick in Havering

Re: Queen's Hospital.

fred
Was he forthcoming on the admin costs across the 3 trusts?Put a dent in that and you could probably re-instate most of them cuts.
The admin costs in the NHS are so bloated they make Humpty Dumpty seem anorexic.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Percy
This saves me scanning here are the proposals and the arguments.

http://democracy.havering.gov.uk/documents/s25939/Spending%20NHS%20money%20wisely%20-%20consultation%20document.pdf

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Our 'flagship hospital'.

Senior doctors at Queen’s Hospital speak out against trust’s management
PUBLISHED: 09:00 23 November 2017
Matthew Clemenson  Romford Recorder

Queen's Hospital, flagship hospital of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.
A group of veteran doctors at Queen’s Hospital have urged bosses to deal with a host of behind-the-scenes issues they claim have left staff “isolated, intimidated and fearful”.

Matthew Hopkins, chief executive of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.
A letter, seen by the Recorder, highlights a number of serious concerns held by Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital Trust’s (BHRUT’s) Senior Medical Staff Committee (SMSC).
It is addressed to BHRUT chairman Joe Fielder and concludes that “the consultant body has lost confidence in the approach of the current executive leadership”.
Senior consultants are dissatisfied with the level of engagement between doctors “on the shop floor” and the trust’s management.
SMSC chairman Mrinal Saharay said: “Any disagreement is seen as dissent and dealt with in a heavy-handed manner.
“Consultants feel isolated, intimidated and fearful to discuss issues of real concern. As a result morale is low and staff turnover is high.”
The committee was also surprised by news of financial issues at the trust.
BHRUT is having its finances formally investigated by the NHS after it was forced to take out a £15m bail-out loan.
The letter states: “The consultant body is extremely concerned as to how there can be a sudden ‘cash flow shortfall’ requiring a £15m emergency loan from NHS Improvement without any knowledge of the executive team whose job it is to run the hospital, including keeping a close grip on its finances.”
A spokesman confirmed the trust was working to resolve the short-term financial problems, and reiterated the fact that there had been no impact on patient safety.
Mr Fielder has now held “an open and helpful” meeting with BHRUT’s consultants about how the trust’s leadership and consultant body can “move forward together”.
Chief executive Matthew Hopkins added: “I intend to have a renewed and reinvigorated dialogue with my consultant colleagues so that their voice can be heard and valued within the trust.
“One of the ways I will achieve this is by attending, with the chair, a quarterly forum for consultants. This will complement what is already in place for those who wish to raise concerns.
“I am confident that we can continue to work together to improve the quality of care we provide for our patients.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Has somebody finally seen sense?

Breaking News
Watershed moment as review announced into ‘stupid’ King George Hospital A&E closure plan
PUBLISHED: 15:32 29 November 2017
Matthew Clemenson   Romford Recorder

Public demonstration outside Redbridge Town Hall urging councillors to oppose the NHS's current sustainability and transformation plan which would close King George Hospital's A&E department.
Plans to close a Redbridge A&E, which would have seen Queen’s Hospital require millions of pounds of upgrades, have been halted after health bosses ordered an immediate review of the decision.

King George Hospital, in Goodmayes, is one of the two hospitals BHRUT are responsible for.
Plans to turn King George Hospital’s A&E, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, into an urgent care centre were pushed through in 2011, and in November last year the scheduled closure date was announced for 2019.
But last month, Redbridge Clinical Commissioning Group revealed it had hired independent consultants PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) to investigate key parts of the proposal, including activity shifts, capacity and the financial impact.
Today (Wednesday), the East London Health and Care Partnership (ELHCP) published the report’s findings, and declared a complete overhaul of its strategy for emergency care provision.
Jane Milligan, ELHCP executive lead, said the PWC report had correctly identified that “much has changed” since the closure plan was first drawn up.
 Ilford North Labour MP Wes Streeting makes a speech at a march to save King George Hospital's A&E, on 18th March 2017.
She added: “Our east London population is growing and ageing, demand for NHS services continues to increase, and we face ever-increasing challenges as a healthcare system.
“We now need to consider more options for the way we deliver urgent and emergency care across our communities.
“This will allow us to look at how this care is provided locally, taking these challenges into account.
“It is important we consider how we deliver these services across both King George and Queen’s hospitals to enable us to deliver care in the best way for patients. Exploring more options will enable us to do this.”
Ms Milligan called on clinicians, patients and partners to come together to develop a new plan for emergency care across north east London.
She added that while this new plan was being consulted and drawn up, King George Hospital’s A&E would remain open.
Chief executive of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital Trust which runs both King George and Queen’s Hospitals, Matthew Hopkins, was also happy with the news.
He said: “I’m pleased we now have the opportunity to work with our clinicians, our wider staff groups, patients and partners to look at the best way of delivering urgent and emergency care to local people.”
Ilford South MP Mike Gapes said the report’s findings were “a step in the right direction”, and said the financial case put forward by the ELHCP had made the closure of King George’s A&E inviable.
He told the Recorder: “I’ve been fighting this stupid decision for 10 years and in my opinion this report is a face-saving exercise leading up to an inevitable climb down.
“The bottom line is that the report identifies it would cost £125m to build additional wards at Newham and Queen’s Hospitals to cope with the people who would be displaced from King George.
“The local NHS does not have that sort of capital to invest.”
But the veteran MP warned residents to remain cautious.
He said: “What I want to see now is the small print for these proposals. If we still have our A&E what is it going to look like?
“We must ensure it will be able to meet the needs of residents.
“This is a step in the right direction, but we’re not there yet.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

OLD CODGER
Where is AR on this or is he afraid to speak out whats more does he care.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Editor’s comment: We need a guarantee over A&E
PUBLISHED: 08:00 02 December 2017
Lindsay Jones, editor  Romford Recorder.

Public demonstration outside Redbridge Town Hall urging councillors to oppose the NHS's current sustainability and transformation plan which would close King George Hospital's A&E department.
The revelation this week that plans to downgrade the A&E department at King George Hospital in neighbouring Redbridge have been halted is great news for Havering residents who were concerned about the impact on Queen’s.

Plans to turn the A&E in Goodmayes into an urgent care centre were pushed through in 2011, and in November last year the scheduled closure date was announced for 2019.

But there have been continued fears that it would put too much pressure on Queen’s Hospital’s emergency department in Romford.
We were repeatedly told the A&E would not close until Queen’s could cope but no right-thinking people can see that situation ever happening.
The population in this part of east London is rapidly expanding and that means more patients.
Just two weeks ago Barking, Havering and Redbridge Clinical Commissioning Groups urged residents to use both emergency departments.
Its statement read: “There are still a very large number of patients in the A&E department at Queen’s Hospital.
“This is putting significant pressure on health services
across the boroughs. A&Es at Queen’s and King George hospitals remain open.”
And winter – when A&Es would expect to be busier – hasn’t even arrived yet.
In September, Rainham MP Jon Cruddas wrote in this newspaper: “Waiting times at Queen’s are already at unacceptable levels. In May just 77 per cent of patients were seen within four hours - way below the 95 per cent floor. Since then the figures have hobbled to 83 and 84 per cent.
“The A&E at King George has a better record but is still repeatedly falling below the floor. How on earth its closure is going to improve the performance at Queen’s is beyond my, or any sane person’s, imagination.”
The announcement this week is not an assurance that the A&E will remain open for ever but things have changed since closure was first planned. It is now time for it to be dropped once and for all.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

confused of hornchurch

Local rip-off.

Revealed: How much Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust made from parking charges in the last year

PUBLISHED: 13:15 28 December 2017 | UPDATED: 14:38 28 December 2017
Lorraine King Romford Recorder

Queen's and King George Hospital are both run by the trust. Picture credit: Archant.
The amount of revenue Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust made from car parking fees has been revealed today.

According to figures collected by the Press Association, the trust which runs King George Hospital in Goodmayes, and Queen’s Hospital in Romford, made £1,712,000 in 2016/17.
While NHS trusts in England continue to charge hospital patients, visitors and staff for parking, it remains largely free in Scotland and Wales.
Norman Lamb, Liberal Democrat health spokesman, said: “The vast sums of money that hospitals are making from parking charges reveal the hidden cost of healthcare faced by many patients and their families.
“Hospital car park charges amount to a tax on sickness, with people who are chronically ill or disabled bearing the brunt.
“All hospitals should be following the national guidelines to make sure that patients, relatives, and NHS staff are not unfairly penalised.”
Shadow health secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, added: “Hospital parking charges are an entirely unfair and unnecessary burden, which disproportionately affect the most vulnerable people using our health service.
“Labour will abolish car parking charges and scrap this needless strain on already worried families.”
Rachel Power, chief executive of the Patients Association, said the current state of NHS finances meant it was sometimes hard to blame hospitals for trying to find money.
But she said that did not make the current situation acceptable.
She added: “For patients, parking charges amount to an extra charge for being ill.
“Hospital appointments are often delayed or last longer than expected, so even if you pay for parking you could end up being fined if your ticket runs out.”
RAC spokesman Pete Williams said: “Hospital parking charges are a major source of angst and unfairly hit those who can least afford it at a time when they are in most need of care and support.”
A Department of Health spokesman said: “NHS organisations are locally responsible for the methods used to charge, and we want to see them coming up with flexible options that put patients and their families first.”
The Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust made the most revenue in England, collecting £4,865,000 in the past year.
Richard Smith, the trust’s car parking manager, said: “We understand that paying for car parking is the last thing our patients want to think about when coming to our hospitals, so we work hard to keep costs as low as we can.
“We offer free parking to our cancer patients when coming in for treatment, there is no charge to park for the first 48 hours for our maternity patients and we also offer free parking to long-stay patients in our hospitals. We also provide free parking for parents with children in our hospitals, and free visitor parking for the families of patients in intensive care.
“The majority of our car parks are run by our partner, Sodexo. Any income to our trust is used to fund patient care across our hospitals.”

Re: Queen's Hospital.

bellend
 they need to charge for parking, to go towards negligence legal awards.

Using official Government figures, the trusts with the highest legal payouts over the past five years to March 31 2014 were: Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital NHS Trust, which has paid out £79 million; The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust £78.3 million; Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust (£75.4m); Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (£71.6m); and Baits and the London NHS trust (£62.8m).

these are the latest figures I can find. happy new year and GOOD HEALTH.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

Phil Wailing
“We offer free parking to our cancer patients when coming in for treatment"

Utterly misleading!

Cancer patients "treatment" is the least they use the car parks.

When they have consultant appointments, MRI and CT scans, blood tests, surgery and outpatient appointments, cancer patients PAY the same as anyone else.

If the cancer is lung then the consultants are in Queens Oncology (pay to park) and the surgery is done at Barts and that costs £35 a day just getting there.

Re: Queen's Hospital.

dalek1
Thankfully when I see my own Oncologist every three months I'm able to walk to the hospital but there are many who don't have that luxury (which it is!).
How can the local trust profit out of people and families suffering with this disease?
Immoral is the most lenient description!
1 ... 11121314151617