Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Call for the 'Environment Enforcement Team'. The phantom fly-tipper strikes yet again.

Plans to shut Sunnings Lane, Upminster, after huge fly-tip found blocking road

07:00 29 November 2016

Chloe Farand  (Romford Recorder)

A fly-tip blocking the road in Sunnings Lane Credit: Nigel Gallimore

A campaign is underway to close a section of a country lane as another “massive” fly-tip has been found blocking the road.

Residents in Sunnings Lane found a huge pile of waste had been dumped in the middle of the road on Friday, blocking the access.

This is not the first time residents have been surprised with huge amounts of rubbish and one resident, who preferred not to be named, said he sent the council more than 200 pictures of fly tips in the area over the last two years.

Sunnings Lane resident Nigel Gallimore said: “It’s a massive pile of rubbish. About two weeks ago it was a pile of rubble and construction material. This is happening on a weekly basis now but it doesn’t usually block the road.

“It’s becoming a real problem. I have lived here 25 years but in the last year it has got much worse.

“I think the solution is to shut part of the lane.”

Upminster Cllr Linda Hawthorn told the Recorder: “I have been campaigning for part of the lane to be shut for many years. The lane could be shut after the residential area and up to the junction with Bramble Lane.

“This is the only way I can think of to stop this from happening again. Those lanes are not really needed and it would make a nice walk to Bramble Lane.”

Cllr Hawthorn confirmed council officers were looking into the feasibility of the plan.

Cllr Ron Ower said the council would clear the lane on Wednesday.

He added: “Sadly, it’s happening regularly and the council are trying to stop it by installing CCTV cameras. We really feel for the residents there but it’s happening all around the area because there is huge money to be made for these organised gangs.”

Other residents took to social media to report of other similar incidents. One woman wrote on Facebook: “Dunnings Lane seems to suffer too with dumping of household appliances (three or four at a time!) and Fen Lane was blocked on Friday night by a similar ‘dropped load’ highly dangerous and environmentally damaging. Am sure if this happened on Hall Lane then there would be a far bigger outcry and subsequent action.”

The council has been contacted for comment.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Oh great thinking Ower!
CCTV at last.
Only cost the Havering tax payer £80'000 in clean up costs so far!

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
Perhaps a nice Solar park on Sunnings lane will cure it?At the least it seems prime development land for the homeless.

I love the logic... Don't deal with the fly-tippers, shut the lane instead.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
A camping ground for our traveller community perhaps.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Fly-tipping Christmas crackdown by councils

7 hours ago

 From the section UK (BBC news)

There were 900,000 incidents of fly-tipping in England and Wales last year

Councils in England and Wales say they are mounting a "pre-Christmas zero-tolerance nationwide crackdown" on fly-tipping.

Their powers include seizing and crushing illegal dumpers' vehicles, says the Local Government Association.

Clearing illegally-dumped waste costs local authorities almost £50 million each year to clear up.

The LGA also wants to close a legal loophole requiring seven days' notice before raiding suspects' homes.

According to the LGA, there were 900,000 incidents of fly-tipping in 2014-15 - a 6% rise from the previous year.

The LGA's environment spokesman Martin Tett said: "Litter and fly-tipping is environmental vandalism - it's unpleasant, unnecessary and unacceptable.

"Not only does fly-tipping create an eyesore for residents; it is also a serious public health risk, creating pollution and attracting rats and other vermin.

"At a time when councils face difficult choices about services in light of reducing budgets, they are having to spend a vast amount each year on tackling litter and fly-tipping.

"This is money that would be better spent on vital services such as filling potholes and caring for the elderly."

Mr Tett welcomed powers which came into force in May allowing councils to issue £400 on-the-spot fines to people caught in the act.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Council spends £32k cleaning up chewing gum from streets

Havering Council spent a whopping £32,000 cleaning up chewing gum from the streets in 2015, a Freedom of Information Request has revealed.

Romford and Hornchurch’s town centres were scrubbed of the sticky substance last year, with three men spending 30 weeks cleaning the streets.

The year before, the council spent £20,000 cleaning South Street, Romford

Cllr Osman Dervish, the council’s cabinet member for the environment, said: “In 2015 the council invested in new machinery to tackle the issue of chewing gum on our streets, which has been a massive success.

“I encourage residents and visitors to the borough to use the bins provided to dispose of chewing gum, as this will help us to keep Havering clean.”

Havering Council launched its Cleaner Havering campaign in 2012 after a survey found the top three priorities for residents in the borough were tackling dog mess, dealing with general litter and tackling vandalism.

Nicholas Priest, 26, of Bolberry Road, Collier Row, said: “Why clean it when it’s just going to get back again? You don’t trip up over chewing gum.

“Spend the money levelling the streets instead. We see many old ladies trip up outside here, and young people too, it’s not just the elderly.”

The council has invested more than £100,000 in new street cleaning machines, including a £40,000 pavement washer.

Amy Coates, 21, of Lyndhurst Drive, Hornchurch, said: “It’s a bit of a waste really. It’s a good idea but it is a bit much.”

The Local Environmental Quality Survey for England (LEQSE) 2014/15 found 64% of the 7,200 sites surveyed were affected by gum staining.

Lindsay Smith, 42, who works at Romford’s Age UK branch, added: “It’s a good thing but more needs to be done to stop it in the first place.

“You’ve got a lot of foot traffic here, it’s not an easy thing to do.”

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Council seeks to prosecute fly-tippers caught during surveillance operation

Havering Council is seeking to prosecute fly-tipping offenders that were caught during a two-week undercover surveillance operation last week.

During the operation, officers identified four vehicles with drivers dumping waste, including asbestos.

One of the vehicles caught was then found deposited at Berwick Pond Road, Rainham, which is being further investigated.

The police is investigating all fly-tips for possible prosecution.

Cabinet member for the environment Cllr Osman Dervish said: “We have invested more time and resources into combatting fly-tipping in this borough and even caught four offenders in action during the operation. We are planning further operations and better surveillance to help us capture these criminals. Council taxpayers pay hundreds of thousands of pounds each year to remove fly-tips, money that has to be taken away from other crucial frontline services and we will not tolerate this.

“I encourage all residents to dispose of their waste legally and use the services provided.”

Well done Dervish.
Only £100,000 in clear up costs down the swannie but whats a six figure sum to a cash strapped council between friends? Especially mates of his wink wink.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Not sure what that means?

"One of the vehicles caught was then found deposited at Berwick Pond Road"

Does that mean dumped/abandoned/hidden?

Cant work that one out Connie.
I'll try and put my lateral thinking cap on.

I see the tippers have been in the waste grpund as yu come off the A13 to Dagenham dock huge piles of it right opposite the entrance to Eddie Stobbart.

That's because they heard about the covert enforcement near Gerpins Lane, they're moaning that it's costing them extra in diesel.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

A Christmas gift from the phantom fly-tipper.

Massive fly-tip once again found in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster

13:01 23 December 2016

Hayley Anderson (Romford Recorder)

Fly-tip in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.

Fly-tippers have once again struck, as a mountain of waste was discovered this morning.

Fly-tip in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.

Piles of wood, bricks and old carpet were found in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster, were found by residents.

Mountains of rubbish have been found at the same spot several times throughout the year.

The fly-tip has been reported to the council and arrangements are now being made to remove the debris.

Another job for Cllr Dervish?

Who's removing it and at what price?

I think Dervish is going to do it himself with his white van so it should be cheap.That must have been tipped yesterday as it was not there when I took a mini bus through yesterday.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Surveillance operations and CCTV being prepared to clamp down on rogue fly-tippers

13:59 Friday 06 January 2017 (Romford Recorder)

Ryan Tute

Massive mounds of rubbish left in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.

The council is promising a crackdown after huge mounds of rubbish were found YET AGAIN at a problem fly-tipping spot.

Further surveillance is being planned by Havering Council across the borough.

The industrial-sized fly-tips were spotted early this morning in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.

The road is currently closed as a grab lorry is sent out to clear the mess.

It’s another fly-tip in a very long list throughout the past couple of years.

Back in September 2016, the Recorder reported how the cost to taxpayers of removing rubbish dumped at a notorious fly-tip hotspot had reached an estimated £30,000 within a few weeks.

But Havering Council has said surveillance operations across the borough have started and will continue throughout this year.

A spokesman said: “A surveillance operation carried out a few weeks ago for the best part of a week resulted in four potential prosecutions.

“We will be doing more of these in the future and we hope the prosecutions will be successful.

“CCTV has also been planned and budgeted for in the new financial year.

“There have been some issues installing it, with country lanes having no lighting or power, but we have now got past this.”

The council is also keen to stress that people who pay for their waste to be taken “on the cheap” will also be held accountable with any prosecution.

“People must check who they are calling to collect their waste,” the spokesman added.

“We can all help solve the problem if people are not trying to get rid of waste on the cheap.

“Residents should always get receipts for rubbish collected as they are as liable as the fly-tippers for waste dumped illegally.”

Yes I saw it and at least three other piles of rubbish along Berwick pond road.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
Still there nearly a week now.

Good grief, he must be doing a roaring trade, that's a big pile.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

What's the betting there will be another one before the end of the month?
123456