Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

So the bill for the remaining £147,500 was picked up by the Havering tax-payer?

Another 5% on the council tax please.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Just received a response to the FOI request I placed last month.
Doesn't seem to ad up unless I didn't ask the right questions

As follows

I refer to your request for information made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  Your request has been considered and the information held by Neighbourhoods & Environment is as follows:

Question 1

FLY TIPPING IN AND AROUND LITTLE GERPINS LANE UPMINSTER

The number of reported incidents of fly tipping since January 2016 to date.

Response

There have have been 57 incidents of fly tipping reported in Gerpins and Little Gerpins and 28 in Berwick pond Road

Question 2

The total cost of clearing up debris left behind by the fly tippers.

Response

Information not specifically held, however, the cost of the Council’s ‘grab lorry’ is 88.62 per load. If it was 85 loads it would be £7532.70

Question 3

 Any precaution that has been installed eg CCTV to prevent reoccurrence of such incidents.

Response

CCTV and surveillance has been undertaken for short periods

Question 4

The name(s) of the contractor(s) responsible for the clear ups.

Response

We only use a contractor to clear up contaminated waste:-

Seales Road Haulage Limited

I trust the information is of use to you and will close your request.

Well 85 instances of fly tipping in the area since Jan last year.
Why are they banging on about 10'000 smackers a pop to clean the mess up if the grab lorry owned by Havering costs £88.62 per drop?
No permanent CCTV cameras installed which does shock me.
But here's the odd answer.
They only use a company only to clear up hazardous waste. Er a big pile of rubbish 10 feet high is sitting in on the road how anyone ascertain if its contaminated or not?
Well better than nothing I guess.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
You forgot to ask the cost of administration the cost of the website team watching for reports.The cost of the councilors allocated to waste matters the executives the press admin the list is endless its not just one man and his grab lorry plus the cost per square yard or putting it in landfill and checking for leaks of contamination.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Perc it was a job and a half to get this much took them a month to get back to me.
Lets not try and blind them with science now although you make valid points!

Yes however with the cost of landfill and taxes on it its not fair to judge the poor folk at Romford town hall.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Residents get the chance to grill the man overseeing Havering Council’s fly-tip battle
16:14 20 February 2017
Ryan Tute (Romford Recorder)

In a year that has seen the borough plagued with fly-tip after fly-tip, residents now get the chance to have their questions answered.

Steve Moore, Havering Council’s director of neighbourhoods, will be meeting anyone interested in knowing about what the council is doing to try prevent rogue fly-tippers dumping mountains of rubbish illegally.

The council describe Mr Moore’s role as a “key position” in overseeing various activities related to the environment, economic development, regeneration and housing.
The director will be setting out what strategies the council is looking to use while reminding people of the role they can play in stopping fly-tipping.
In the past 12 months, the council has recorded almost 3,000 incidents of fly-tipping at a possible £1m cost to the taxpayer.
Roads in Upminster have bore the brunt of the fly-tips with Little Gerpins Lane and Sunnings Lane being targeted by organised criminals.
Moving forward, the council has promised to crack down on those who flout the waste removal laws.
It has said it is looking at using all possible legal powers to tackle fly-tipping, including asking the courts to remove the driving licences from convicted fly-tippers.
Criminal Behaviour Orders are also being considered which could lead to repeat offenders being imprisoned for up to five years.
The meeting takes place next Wednesday at St Joseph’s Social Hall, St Mary’s Lane, Upminster, from 6.30pm.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Oh that should be a laugh.
Moore is a completely inept useless tosser who's talks a great job and does f*ck all.
He'll spin everyone at the meeting a total yarn and convince the Havering public he's doing a great job.
In September last year he advised me the signs on the parking meters in London road which are inconsistent with the signs on posts above would be changed and in nearly six months sod all has been done other than to install cameras to catch drivers who are unfortunate enough to cross the bus lane by a few inches.
Well I guess he has to do something to justify his £130,000 plus bonus salary.

If those are the signs in Straight road they are changed we were getting tickets that were all rescinded and have had none for months now.

Oh Straight road as well!
How many other roads in the borough have the same signage?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Fed up with fly-tipping? Support Upminster residents’ association’s government petition

A petition for the government to do more to tackle fly-tippers was launched by a residents’ association today.

The 20-yard skip left in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.The 20-yard skip left in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster.
Upminster and Cranham Residents’ Association (UCRA) made the call for action following widespread community concern over the escalation of the illegal activity around the borough.

Councillors, police and Havering Council’s director of neighbourhoods, Steve Moore, listened to fed up residents at a public meeting held in St Joseph’s Social Hall, St Mary’s Lane, Upminster, on March 1.

Cllr Linda Van den Hende (Upminster, RA) said: “Fly-tipping is a growing problem not only in our borough, but right across the country.

“It costs around £100million a year to clean up and is increasingly the focus of organised criminal gangs.

“Enforcement and effective penalties are key in tackling this problem and sanctions need to be much tougher.

“There also needs to be a multi-agency national strategy in place and bodies such as the police, local authorities and the Environment Agency given sufficient resources to tackle the problem effectively.”

A joint operation – called Operation Bayleaf – has also been set up and is designed to share intelligence and actions.

Agencies involved include Havering Council, the Metropolitan, Essex and Hertfordshire police forces, the Environment Agency, Crimestoppers, the serious crime directorate and Epping Forest Council.

“Fly-tipping, small or large, is unacceptable in our community and we are exploring all options available to us to tackle the problem as effectively as possible,” added Cllr Linda Hawthorn.

“Meanwhile, I would urge everyone to support our petition so that the profile of this issue is raised at the highest level.”

The petition calls for fixed penalties to be raised to £1,000 with £50,000 fines and a 12-month prison sentence for serious offenders.

UCRA calls for fly-tippers to be made to pay all clear up costs, their vehicles confiscated and driving licence removed.

To sign the petition visit click here, visit ucra.co.uk, or contact Cllr Hawthorn at linda.hawthorn@havering.gov.uk.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
They had the chain gang in Berwick pond road last week they did a great job however by Saturday the lane was refilled with rubbish its time for patrols and car crushers.It will get worse as the Dale farm site is being refilled with vans and Vardas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBiRXQ2uA8

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Phil Wailing
Broxhill Road, Havering atte Bower Monday.

Plenty more in Benskins lane.I expect more soon as Dale farm seems to be growing again and the council do not have the £12 million to fight it again.

Havering's answer to the housing shortage?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Phil Wailing
If it's still there today I will have those 2 ariels off the roof.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Could be if we have 80 people sleeping rough then they can be housed in just a few weeks.It would save money very quickly.There would still be some rough sleepers but they would have to be dealth with under the mental health legislation.

i see the phantom tipper has closed off little Gerpins lane and the farmer from Berwick pond road was on TV and has had to clear a field of rubish they broke down the gate drove over his planted field and dumped tonnes of rubbish.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Well at least Newham appear to be doing something.

Upminster man dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated waste in Beckton street

A fly-tipper from Upminster could be facing jail after he admitted dumping 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton.

Stuart Beattie will be sentenced on Thursday.
Stuart Beattie, 26, dumped the dangerous waste in two separate spots on Eric Clarke Lane, which resulted in the road being closed and buses put on diversion.

His reckless action also mean the entrance to children’s riding stables were blocked.

The clear up operation cost the council £9,000.

Last week at Thames Magistrates Court he admitted fly-tipping.

However the sitting magistrates said their powers of punishment were insufficient to match the seriousness of the crime so it was transferred to Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He will be sentenced on Thursday.

Councillor Pat Murphy, mayoral adviser for environment, said: “This was a fantastic piece of work by the fly-tip task force, which has swiftly brought a criminal fly-tipper to book. Beattie showed no regard for the safety of Newham residents when he dumped asbestos-contaminated waste on a public highway.

“His actions also resulted in substantial inconvenience to residents who found their buses re-routed.

“I am delighted the magistrates recognised the seriousness of the offences, and we look forward to the crown court taking a similarly tough stance, and sentence accordingly.

“This case underlines our commitment to investigate, catch and bring to justice criminals who endanger our residents, and deface our environment by dumping rubbish in our borough.”

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Plans afoot to combat the phantom fly-tipper.

Havering Council to vote on plans to close Upminster road to combat fly-tipping
PUBLISHED: 10:52 29 August 2017
Matthew Clemenson

Residents started a campaign to close Sunnings Lane, Upminster, after the road was blocked in November.
Plans to crack down on one of the most notorious fly-tipping hotspots in the borough by closing a road are due to be voted on by Havering Council next week.

The council’s highways committee will vote on Tuesday on plans to close a junction of Sunnings Lane in Upminster that has frequently been targeted by fly-tippers.

The work to install new barriers at the road’s junction with Dennises Lane in order to prevent unauthorised access is estimated to cost around £20,000.
A three-week public consultation on the plans closed on August 4, with one Sunnings Lane resident telling the council: “We have wanted this for years.”
A Havering Council spokesman said: “All respondents have welcomed the proposed closure of Sunnings Lane.
“Officers confirmed that the gate would have dual locks, one being a standard lock used by emergency services with a standard key. The second lock being a key coded to limit the number of keys in circulation.
“Issuing and monitoring such a large number of keys to the occupiers would be a problematic.
“It is anticipated that once the measures are implemented this will help to overcome the problem of fly tipping, anti-social behaviour and enhance security in the area.”
Once the road closure is implemented the council also intends to install solar and wind powered CCTV cameras at a number of other known fly-tipping hotspots throughout the borough.
Upminster and Cranham Residents’ Association (UCRA) originally called for action in March following widespread community concern over the escalation of the illegal activity around the borough, but particularly in rural parts of Upminster.
And in January, a Havering Council spokesman told the Recorder the borough was “essentially a victim of organised crime” when it came to fly-tipping,a mid reports the council could spend as much as £1million cleaning up fly-tips in 2017.

A joint operation – Operation Bayleaf – was also set up earlier this year to share intelligence and actions and resulted in four successful prosecutions for people caught fly-tipping in the borough.
The plan will be discussed and voted on at a meeting at 7.30pm at Havering Town Hall on Tuesday, September 5.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
Our useless oh meant to say awesome council and plod strike at last.

Havering Council tackles organised fly-tippers in Upminster in early morning raid

Havering Council seized vehicles which were running on red diesel and “stolen” waste containers in a joint operation against organised fly-tippers in Upminster.

Based on intelligence gathered about the perpetrators, the multi-agency operation involved officers from Newham Council, the Environment Agency, police and HMRC officers.

Following the tip-off, a site on Aveley Road was raided shortly after 9am on December 20, and officials found several vehicles and equipment, including stolen waste containers, with a value of around £10,000.

The vehicles, including a skip lorry, an articulated lorry tractor unit, a vehicle removal lorry and two cars, were checked by HRMC and found to be using red diesel, which is illegal to use in these types of vehicle.

The larger vehicles also had no number plates and were in varying states of roadworthiness.

All of the vehicles were seized pending further enquiries into criminal activity and road traffic offences.

The recovered waste containers were returned to their grateful owners, who have had 22 other containers stolen this year.

Every time a container is stolen the owner has to pick up the disposal costs, totalling tens of thousands of pounds for clearing the dumped rubbish.

Nobody was on site during the raid, but investigations, based on evidence recovered by officers, are ongoing.

Councillor Osman Dervish, cabinet member for environment, said: “Fly-tipping is a serious crime which has a detrimental effect on residents, businesses and the local environment.

“This week alone the council has had to clear up 20 tonnes of fly-tipped rubbish and each year this amounts to an unnecessary bill in the region of one million pounds.

“This is money which could be better spent on critical frontline services and improving the lives of our most vulnerable residents.

“This joint operation was a great success and saw key partners come together to tackle a common threat.

“We are now calling on any residents and businesses with information to come forward to help us catch the people responsible and bring them to justice.”

Figures released by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) show the council spent £224,423 on clearance costs at 4,061 separate fly-tipping incidents between April 2016 and 2017.

Joint operation?
How much were this council involved?
Or is it a backhanded election ploy to give the Havering public the phoney impression this administration is on the side of the Havering public?