Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Enormous £10,000 Upminster fly-tip may contain deadly asbestos

07:00 30 June 2016 (Romford Recorder)

A fly tip that will cost £10,000 to remove has been dumped on the borough’s country roads for the second time this year.

A huge fly tip has been dumped in Little Gerpins LaneA huge fly tip has been dumped in Little Gerpins Lane

The industrial scale dump was left in Little Gerpins Lane, Upminster, last week.

It completely blocked the road construction waste and building materials, which Havering Council officers fear may contain highly-dangerous asbestos.

Cllr Osman Dervish, Havering Council’s cabinet member for environment, regulatory services and community safety said: “We’ve seen an increase in industrial scale fly-tipping and we’ve had more than enough of this. Inevitably it’s the council taxpayers will have to pay to remove this latest fly-tip, money that has to be taken away from other crucial frontline services.

“We have invested more time and resources into fly-tipping and are reviewing our strategy for these major fly-tipping incidents. We will be investigating this fly-tip, looking for any personal belongings to trace down where it originated from and aim to prosecute the fly-tipper.”

In the past year almost 3,000 cases of fly-tipping have been recorded in the borough at a cost to the tax payer of more than £140,000.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

dalek1
This seems to happen fairly regularly in this area.
Hasn't the council got the sense to install cameras in this area to catch the tippers in the act.
I would guess its the same mob each time.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

All the CCTV enforcement vehicles are too busy on the lucrative parking hotspots.

Gerpins lane fly tipping was the responsibility of Mr Benham, who promised to crack down on it but it would appear that Mr Dervish is the new fly-tipping warden. Perhaps he'll have more success in capturing the phantom tipper/s?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
Some one moving from a house in Rainham dumped all the left overs in the street outside.A local said they just dumped it and moved.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

They've got three 5 year olds living under a flyover? The diesel fumes won't be doing the youngsters lungs much good, nor will the rain and damp.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Hold on catch fly tippers and they can get fined up to 10 grand. Parking tickets amount to £60 a pop.
And Dervish is on the case.
We can all sleep easy tonight boys.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

A couple of ANPR cameras strategically placed and access to the DVLA database is all that's needed to catch the phantom tipper/s

Ignore the small vehicles and follow up on all vehicles entering or leaving that road that have the capability of dumping such a large load. That would give you a good idea of any potential suspects.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

bellend
but if as I suspect that the tippers are of an specific irish origin they can not be pursued?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

They could still be traced and an attempt made to prosecute, but the only people that can be made to pay are of course those that have a fixed abode and something to lose.

The first step 'though is to positively identify the culprit otherwise somebody will continue to charge the council (us taxpayers) extortionate sums of money for the clear up. I wonder who has the contract for that?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

bellend
confiscate the vehicle then deport them

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

bellend
not at all a related story but a gypsy encampment is now thriving behind the old mecca bingo hall. are there no water cannon?

It may become related in the future if they are not moved on quickly.
As regards the water cannon, I'm not sure if they are still for sale or not, but I believe they are still not licenced to be used here on the mainland.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Travellers in Hornchurch car park ignore eviction notice.

16:09 11 July 2016

Matthew Clemenson  (Romford Recorder)

Travellers have refused to leave the former Mecca Bingo site in High Street, Hornchurch

Travellers have refused to leave a plot of land owned by supermarket chain Lidl despite being served with an eviction notice ordering them to move on by 10am on Sunday.

Lidl, which owns the land behind the former Mecca Bingo in High Street, Hornchurch, served the travellers with a 24-hour eviction notice on Saturday, just a day after they were reported to have moved on to the abandoned car park, which had previously been locked.

The notice, clearly displayed on the broken gate of the car park over the weekend, read: “Lidl UK are owners of the land you are trespassing on and require you to leave.

“You are here without consent and are therefore trespassers and have no right to remain. You should therefore leave together with all your vehicles and goods by 10am Sunday July 10.”

The notice concluded by warning the travellers that bailiffs would be used to evict them if they ignored the police, but as of 3.30pm today they remain on the site.

When approached this weekend, one member of the traveller community said: “We’ll leave when we want to leave.”

I guess that means they're not scared?

Reinforcements on stand by in Wincanton avenue Fires lit ready.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

Huge fly-tip of ‘grey ashes’ and wood discovered in Gerpins Lane, Upminster

15:39 22 August 2016

Chloe Farand  (Romford Recorder)

Enormous fly-tip discovered in Gerpins Lane, Upminster, on Sunday

Another enormous fly-tip was found at a notorious dumping hot spot.

A motorist came across the seven piles of waste on Sunday after walking up Gerpins Lane, Upminster, to find out why the road was closed.

One pile of palette wood, one pile of various bits of wood and five piles of grey ash were blocking the road.

“There were seven piles so there must have been seven loads of it from a big bulky lorry.

“The grey ash looked like processed waste. Looking at the size of the heaps I am estimating there is about 70 tonnes of waste,” said the motorist, who preferred not to be named.

“Around these lanes it seems to be happening around once a month at the moment.

“It’s annoying the road is closed, it’s annoying people just dump waste but it is also costing the council over thousands of pounds to clean it up. We are paying for this and this is money that could be spent on libraries and schools. This is criminal,” he added.

Havering Council has been contacted for comment. More to follow.

Where are those ccctv cameras they advertise perhaps they could have a patrol 24/7 .I had to clear the alley at the back of me the other day more dead trees and junk dumped.

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

confused of hornchurch

I'm sure Cllr Dervish will have a solution some time soon. Then again, maybe Cllr Frost can deal with it, he's 'environment' isn't he?

Pay me enough money and I'll sit there all night with a camera and get the evidence the council needs.

A deathly silence! No councillors got any ideas how to deal with it?

Re: Phantom fly-tipper strikes again.

Percy
I think it really demonstrates the lack of control the council have to do anything other than tax us fine us the ordinary home owners and renters while letting those who break the rules get away with it and in effect be encouraged by the councils lack of effective control.In short most of the 54 are a waste of money having no real role to play.Havering is an anomoly a borough of elderly white largely middle class people surrounded by modern mixed society and badly lead by a council out of touch with peoples needs.The destruction of all the clubs and advice centres on the excuse of austerity is one example of the waste of peoples abilities wrought by this nasty group of self serving individuals.marginalise, seperate label and exclude is this councils way to destroy local society and ensure they can charge us more and more for less and less with no effective opposition.