Paradise Papers

Re: Paradise Papers

dalek1
Legally maybe Phil morally?
Different kettle of fish me thinks!

Re: Paradise Papers

Phil Wailing
One of the companies that the media are trying to make look bad for tax avoidance is Apple.

Statement from Apple:-

“The debate over Apple’s taxes is not about how much we owe but where we owe it. As the largest taxpayer in the world we’ve paid over $35 billion in corporate income taxes over the past three years, plus billions of dollars more in property tax, payroll tax, sales tax and VAT. We believe every company has a responsibility to pay the taxes they owe and we’re proud of the economic contributions we make to the countries and communities where we do business.

Under the current international tax system, profits are taxed based on where the value is created. The taxes Apple pays to countries around the world are based on that principle. The vast majority of the value in our products is indisputably created in the United States — where we do our design, development, engineering work and much more — so the majority of our taxes are owed to the US.

When Ireland changed its tax laws in 2015, we complied by changing the residency of our Irish subsidiaries and we informed Ireland, the European Commission and the United States. The changes we made did not reduce our tax payments in any country. In fact, our payments to Ireland increased significantly and over the last three years we’ve paid $1.5 billion in tax there — 7 percent of all corporate income taxes paid in that country. Our changes also ensured that our tax obligation to the United States was not reduced."

Apple have done nothing wrong.

Re: Paradise Papers

Phil Wailing
I will tell you what is immoral.

Havering council charging you and I council tax and every year 54 councillors shove £1,000,000 of it straight into their own pockets then vote to shut the boroughs library's for half the week because they have no money.

That's immoral !!!

Re: Paradise Papers

fred
Absolutely

Re: Paradise Papers

Phil Wailing
Labour councils are using offshore companies to avoid paying millions of pounds in tax, The Times can reveal.

Well done those councils, it just shows that investing wisely and only paying the taxes you legally need to you will have more money to fund local services.

Congratulations to the Times for highlighting these prudent and efficient councils.

Re: Paradise Papers

Ho-Hum
But less tax for the treasury, which means less money for schools and hospitals etc.  Swings and roundabouts in real terms, eh?

Re: Paradise Papers

Phil Wailing
What these companies and individuals are doing is perfectly legal. If they need more tax then make these off shore tax avoidance schemes illegal.

It's so much easier to increase VAT to 20% and leave all these multinationals and oligarchs alone, especially the ones that donate millions to political party's.

Re: Paradise Papers

Pete
Fred,

The Paradise Papers.   It's all about 'greed'.   If you did win the lottery and did the same, who'd be no better than them.    Would ya really ?

Re: Paradise Papers

fred
Yes! As I said before I’m pissed off giving my taxes to immigrants and layabouts.
12