"In April 2015, Orchard Village residents were not surprised to hear that the agency was downgrading Circle Housing’ from G1 to G3, the second-lowest level (housing insiders say that a G4 rating is extremely rare, and would threaten a housing association’s existence)."
The second lowest level eh, how come everything in Havering is bumping along just above piss-poor?
Fred Michael Deon Burton one of the better councillors in the borough does live on Orchard Village.
He stood up to the dirty tricks of the management company and won a court case against over inflated water prices.
The resistance movement on the estate is very strong which is why no Tory dirtbags will pay the place a visit.
The Enquirer is a lot better but only a small paper.
The Recorder had a very good reporter by the name of Anne-Marie Abbasah who did bring the council to book on more than one occasion and even exposed the chief exec Blake-Herbert as a bare faced liar.
Sadly she left to work as press officer for a charitable organisation and since her departure the RR has as you have pointed out reverted back to a council fanzine.
Rainham residents flee their homes after balcony catches fire at Orchard Village
PUBLISHED: 10:19 31 January 2018 | UPDATED: 10:19 31 January 2018
April Roach Romford Recorder
Four fire engines from Dagenham, Wennington and Barking were called to Orchard Village last night.
Residents were forced out of their homes when a balcony in a block flats in Rainham caught fire.
Four fire engines were called to reports of a fire at Orchard Village, Broadis Way at 9.05pm on Tuesday, January 30.
A resident of Orchard Village, aged 35, lives on the ground floor of the flats and was present at the scene.
He told the Recorder: “People on the balcony said they could smell smoke, and I could hear lots of commotion going on outside. I went to look out the window, and that’s when I saw the flames.
“I have been in the army and had fire training, so my first instinct was to get my four kids out of the building.
“If the fire had kept burning for another couple minutes, the top floor of Orchard Village would be gone.”
Some of the residents believe the fire was caused by a tumble dryer on the balcony of the fifth floor.
“We clearly all pulled together and were very lucky that no one was hurt,” the resident added.
A spokeswoman from the London Fire Brigade said: “80pc of the balcony of a flat on the fifth floor was damaged by the fire.
“One man left the property by the time of the arrival of the fire brigade. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and he wasn’t taken to hospital.
“The fire was under control by 9.46pm.”
MP for Dagenham and Rainham, Jon Cruddas said: “I commend the firefighters that attended the scene at Orchard Village last night, and am thankful that there were no serious injuries as a result of the fire.
“This incident, however minor, should act as a wakeup call for Clarion Housing and Havering Council.
“Orchard Village is a national example of HOW Not TO DELIVER NEW HOMES. When we consider the level of development Havering Council has planned, unless lessons are learned from this estate I fear the results could be disastrous across Havering, leaving many homes unfit for human habitation.”
Jon Cruddas MP said “This incident, however minor, should act as a wakeup call for Clarion Housing and Havering Council." I wouldn't hold your breath, Mr Cruddas. Both are large, self-satisfied bureaucracies with very poor track-records as regards customer care.
Rainham residents left without heating at troubled Orchard Village during freezing temperatures of Storm Emma
PUBLISHED: 12:56 07 March 2018 | UPDATED: 12:56 07 March 2018
April Roach Romford Recorder
A block of flats within the Orchard Village estate, Rainham. Picture: Google Maps
Residents left without heating during Storm Emma believe the faults highlight some long-standing issues at a Rainham estate.
Trevor Mckeever and Nicholas West from the South Hornchurch Labour Action Team tried to help Orchard Village residents with their heating problems.
When the UK was experiencing extreme cold temperatures during Storm Emma, the heating system at Orchard Village in Broadis Way collapsed.
David Harvey, 35, lives on the ground floor of the flats. He said: “Over the bad weather period all hot water and heating went off, and when some people called SSE their addresses were not on the database, so they had to wait three days.
“After this my partner filed a complaint and we received a cheque for £54 and were told we wouldn’t have anymore problems, but the next day, the heating went off again.
“These heating problems have been happening over the last six years, it was only due to the extreme cold weather that everyone needed help.”
Leigh Hayward, 27, from Orchard Village added: “The problem is when we didn’t have heating, we also had no hot water or cold water.
“This is happening more and more, and there’s no long term solution.
“It’s having a debilitating effect on myself and my children, I fear for the older residents of Orchard Village.”
An SSE spokeswoman responded: “We can confirm our Orchard Village site experienced an outage that lasted five hours and 30 minutes on March 2.
“We appreciate that this took place during a period of extreme weather and we are sorry for any discomfort residents suffered during the period it took to resolve the issue.”
Trevor Mckeever and Nicholas West from the South Hornchurch Labour Action Team visited residents and contacted the neighbourhood office to try and find a solution.
Trevor said: “Residents are now informing us that the breakdowns seem to happen when the system is working hard to meet demand.
“Unfortunately not everybody’s heating is working, a previous heating fault has not been rectified which has left a mum and her two year-old daughter with little or no heating for three of the coldest days of the year.”
Georgia Carthy, 23, lives at Bramley Court in Orchard Village and she first reported her faulty heating on Thursday, March 1.
“I was told that my post code was not on the system, also it would take up to three days to get it put on the system and only then could a heating engineer attend,” said Georgia.
“I was then told to go on YouTube to watch videos on how to make repairs to my heating system.
“I was so cold, I had to take my two year-old daughter and myself to stay at a friend’s house.”
Georgia was told that because she had one working radiator, her situation did not require an emergency response.
However because all of the energy was being charged towards one radiator in her home, it routinely turned off.
A Clarion Housing Group spokeswoman said: “Several visits have been made to Ms Carthy’s property and there is heating in the flat, although two radiators are not fully heating so we have arranged for a further visit to be made by an engineer from our contractor. BSW, later today (Tuesday, March 6) to repair these.”
Following the visit from the engineer, SSE explained that all Orchard Village supply addresses are set up on their system and they will investigate further to check the addresses are logged correctly on their system.
The SSE spokeswoman added: “As a three day period falls beyond the standard timeframe we must meet for responding to faults we believe that this conversation may have taken place not with SSE but with the housing association.
“Unfortunately Ms Carthy had no success in her attempts to get the housing association to attend this fault.
“Despite the fault lying beyond SSE’s area of responsibility, SSE sent an engineer to the property on March 6 and successfully managed to get all bar one of her radiators operational.”