Orchard Village

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
One back for the good guys!

Court victory celebrated in Orchard Village Rainham water fiasco

PUBLISHED: 11:19 02 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:19 02 June 2017 Ann-Marie Abbasah

Cllrs Michael Deon Burton and Graham Williamson with resident Leigh Hayward of the Residents Association who are angered at being overcharged for the water supply in Orchard Village
Court action against a determined councillor was brought to a grinding halt after a utility company’s investigators found evidence to support his case instead of theirs.

Michael Deon Burton (Independent Residents Group, South Hornchurch) and fellow residents on Orchard Village estate raised issues about water meters being assigned incorrectly to properties as far back as 2014.

But Mr Deon Burton said the issue was not addressed by Essex and Suffolk Water – part of the Northumbrian Water Living (NWL) group.

“No one would believe they [residents] were being charged for water they were not using because [of] the wrong meters,” he said.

“They [NWL] would [not] allow independent inspection of properties so the tenants could get the proof to support their case.” That was until undertook a risky manoeuvre and stopped paying his water bill so that he would be brought to court.

“There is one person in my house and I have been paying for a family of four, five, six people,” he said.

“I think it is absolutely scandalous.”

The case – due to be heard at Romford Magistrates Court on Friday, May 26 – was dramatically withdrawn on Tuesday, May 23, after NWL investigators found inconsistencies.

“What a victory,” added Mr Deon Burton.

In an email seen by the Recorder, NWL said: “We have, by conducting supply checks at neighbouring properties at Barley Court, determined that there may be an irregularity in the consumption registered which supplies a small number of neighbouring properties.

“On balance it is possible that the registered consumption for your [Mr Deon Burton’s] property is inaccurate and your bills are in need of amendment.”

A spokeswoman for NWL said the majority of meters inspected were found to be assigned correctly but residents affected will be refunded if they have overpaid and not charged if bills were underpaid.

In September 2016, the Recorder reported the launch of an investigation by the energy ombudsman after Colin Nickless of Broadis Way, paid £1,000 for hot water and heating in

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Local demockracy at its best

‘It’s disgraceful’ says councillor barred from attending Orchard Village Rainham meeting with Havering Council

A councillor elected to represent the authority at a liaison group with residents of an estate, has been barred from one of its meetings.

Independent Residents Group leader Cllr Jeffrey Tucker was elected by Havering Council to sit on the Orchard Village Neighbourhood Management Board.

Due to residents’ fire safety concerns following the Grenfell Tower tragedy, a meeting was arranged for Tuesday, July 11, with Havering Council leader Cllr Roger Ramsey, but Cllr Tucker said he was barred from attending.

“I’m in shock,” he said.

“How can they not invite the person who listens to people on the ground?”

In correspondence seen by the Recorder a council officer recommends Cllr Tucker goes through Cllr Michael Deon Burton and Cllr Graham Williamson, who both represent the South Hornchurch ward, to raise concerns at the meeting.

“At the last meeting, it was agreed to arrange a meeting with residents, ward councillors, the leader of the council, and senior officers, as well as the local MP,” said a council spokeswoman.

“The meeting is separate from the Orchard Village Neighbourhood Management Board.”

But Cllr Tucker continued: “I have been the elected London Borough of Havering board representative for at least the last three years.

“There have been no meetings called for well over two years.

“I have strongly been calling for a meeting for the past six months or more, but nothing.

“Without my views how can this meeting be taken seriously?”

The councillor said despite not being invited, he would still attend and “take it from there”.

“I’m the one who called the meeting. It’s disgraceful. It’s disgusting,” he added.

It is now believed the meeting next week has been cancelled.

Re: Orchard Village

Percy
I am told the Orchard village management committee that Jefff sits on is just a shill it never meeets or does anything.Yet every year it is voted on Jeff gets voted in.I wonder does he and the others get paid for being on it.

Re: Orchard Village

The Homes and Communities Agency, which regulates social housing in England and Wales, ruled in early 2015 that Circle had breached the 'serious detriment' threshold for harm to consumers for its home repairs, due to "chronic and long standing difficulties in the delivery of the repairs service".

Islington Borough Council had served a number of statutory notices on Circle after they had failed to repair homes in the Borough. The problems followed after Circle reduced its pool of contractors from 180 to six, in an attempt to save £100m over ten years.

In April 2015, the regulator concluded that the failures stemmed from poor management of the risks, and ultimately, governance:

"this exceptionally poor provision of repairs and maintenance has been made possible or contributed to by serious and enduring failures in, or in the operation of, Circle’s strategic planning and control framework such that Circle did not adequately manage or mitigate the strategic and operational risks inherent in the delivery of that service."

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Oh well done Islington council.
Why doesn't this useless shower running this administration do likewise.
Or are too many large brownies involved?

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

‘This beggars belief’ says councillor after developer’s disabled parking spaces fail to accommodate wheelchair users

PUBLISHED: 07:00 02 August 2017 | UPDATED: 07:56 02 August 2017
Ann-Marie Abbasah (Romford Recorder)

Richard and Lynne Murton with Cllr Michael Deon Burton by the newly created access to the Mardyke Community Centre which has no ramp up to the pavement from the designated disabled parking bay. Picture: Ken Mears
A councillor has heavily criticised a construction firm after it failed to install easy wheelchair access from a disabled parking space to a community centre’s entrance.

Richard and Lynne Murton with Cllr Michael Deon Burton by the newly created access to the Mardyke Community Centre which has no ramp up to the pavement from the designated disabled parking bay. Picture: Ken Mears
Disabled parking spaces were created by Orchard Village, Rainham, developers Willmott Dixon last week so that wheelchair users could more easily access the Mardyke Community Centre.
But although the company created the spaces directly outside the building, it did not create a dropped kerb or ramp so a wheelchair user could move easily from their car to the entrance of centre.
Cllr Michael Deon Burton (Independent Residents Group, South Hornchurch) said: “Orchard Village and its shoddy build quality have become a London joke.
“Truly, this is a level of stupidity that beggars belief.
“They have spent tens of thousands of pounds and built it without a ramp.
“You cannot make it up. They finished last week and it’s so new they haven’t even painted the disabled lines on it.
“It’s built right opposite the front door to the community centre.
“It’s like building a room and forgetting to put the door in.
“This could only happen on Orchard Village.”

Richard Murton, 50, of Lower Mardyke Avenue, Rainham, said the issue was creating a danger for his wheelchair-userwife, Lynne, 53, who has cerebral palsy.
“She cannot get up on the pavement,” he said.
“A wheelchair user has to come out into the road, which is dangerous, and then on to a ramp. But they shouldn’t have to do that.
“The ramp should be there.”

A spokesman for Willmott Dixon confirmed a dropped kerb would provide a level access from the accessible space between the parking bays onto the footway and into the community centre.
He said the problem occurred after a ground working team tried to incorporate plans for future non-disabled parking at the same time as those for wheelchair users.
This led to a dropped kerb being inconveniently installed in a non-disabled parking space.
The spokesman added that work will now start next week to correct the issue.
He also invited residents to visit the on site office with any queries which he said staff will be happy to answer.

Re: Orchard Village

Percy
Yes i was at a meeting in the community centre last night and saw the couple they were able to get close but not get in.However that centre has a lot of facilities including meeting rooms lots of computers a food counter where food is sold at less than half price and halls.Its very modern and light.

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
And so it goes on

MP and Rainham residents blast Orchard Village housing association after entire estate loses running water

Rainham MP Jon Cruddas has blasted a housing association’s “constant failure to provide quality services” after Orchard Village residents were left without running water for almost 24 hours.

The entire estate was without water throughout Thursday night and for most of Friday after being carried out by UK Power Network engineers caused a failure.

Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas was contacted by residents of the notorious estate when the problem was first discovered.

He said: “There are over 1000 residents living at Orchard Village and quite frankly the constant failure to provide quality services and accommodation just isn’t good enough.

“I raised this in Parliament earlier in the year, and will continue to do my best to make sure that the residents of Orchard Village are heard and represented.”

And frustrated residents also bemoaned the lack of a speedy response from Clarion Housing Group, who now run the estate.

One resident told the Recorder: “My patience has totally run out now, it’s one thing having to put up with the noise from the cherry pickers all day, but to suddenly be without running water is just ridiculous.

“We only found out when my wife got home from work and wanted to take a shower only to find we didn’t have any water – she spent ten minutes on hold to someone trying to get it sorted and ended up getting told to call a number when she finally got through.

“It’s ridiculous, it seems unless you don’t pay your rent or do something like that nobody takes any interest in you whatsoever.”

A Circle Housing spokeswoman confirmed the loss of water supply was initially caused by a power failure on UK Power Network’s service and as result lead to a fault with the cold water pumps.

This has now been repaired and supply is reinstated.

She added: “We appreciate the inconvenience this has caused and we continued to monitor the situation closely over the weekend.”

As a precautionary measure, Circle Housing also had bottled water delivered and plans were drawn up for a large bowser to be delivered to the estate in the event of further issue

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch
I can feel another balls-up in the offing.

‘Planned maintenance’ means troubled Rainham estate will be without water again for six hours on Thursday
PUBLISHED: 16:03 17 October 2017 | UPDATED: 16:03 17 October 2017
Matthew Clemenson  Romford Recorder

Orchard Village residents will be without running water for the second time in a month this week as engineers carry out “planned maintenance” work.

Last month, the troubled Rainham estate, run by Circle Housing, was left without heat or drinking water for 23 hours after a power failure caused a fault to develop with the estate’s water pumps, prompting Rainham MP John Cruddas to once again blast the estate operators “consistent failures”.
A number of residents have since received letters telling them they will once again be without heating or running water for six hours while more maintenance work is carried out on Thursday.
Colin Nickless, chairman of the Orchard Village Residents’ Association, told the Recorder the news had further angered long-suffering residents on the estate.
“The reality of the situation is, the estate’s water supply is pumped into an energy centre which also controls the estate’s power and heat, and if that loses power then everyone loses their drinking water,” he told the Recorder.
“There are vulnerable people going without drinking water for hours and no one is being held accountable.”
Mr Nickless claims that any complaints about the power and water outages from residents are met by Circle Housing, Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) and Essex and Suffolk Water all claiming they are not responsible.
“The problem with that is that A - the energy centre is seriously unreliable. It keeps breaking down and seems to need constant maintenance.
“And B – it is ridiculously expensive. A study commissioned by Leeds University and Fuel Poverty Action found it was THE MOST EXPENSIVE HEATING SYSTEM IN THE COUNTRY.
“There are people on this estate that this winter will have to make the choice to heat or to eat – that’s how expensive our heating charge is.”
In September last year, he also asked the energy ombudsman to investigate utility costs on the estate.
And in June, a further row broke out after the Competition and Markets Authority launched an investigation into claims an online brochure had deliberately misled residents about the price of their energy bills.
A Circle Housing spokeswoman confirmed Orchard Village residents are locked into a 25-year contract for the supply of heat and hot water and cannot change supplier.
Mr Nickless added: “Residents are locked in to these contracts paying more than they were told they would be, and there is no infrastructure in place for anyone to be able to change their energy providers.”
A Circle Housing spokeswoman confirmed the work on Thursday was “planned maintenance” being carried out by SSE, which had written to customers directly.
However, a spokeswoman for SSE said the company had no knowledge of the upcoming works, and advised the Recorder to contact Essex and Suffolk Water.
Essex and Suffolk Water was unable to confirm the nature of the work being undertaken this week.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

Maybe they should supply every resident with a water butt to collect rainwater?

Orchard Village utilities company ‘regrets’ water outages on troubled estate
PUBLISHED: 15:00 26 October 2017
Matthew Clemenson   Romford Recorder

A block of flats within the Orchard Village estate, Rainham. Picture: Google Maps
The utilities company that powers the troubled Orchard Village in Rainham has apologised for water outage issues on the estate.

Last week, the Recorder reported Orchard residents had been left without running water twice in a month – once as the result of an accident, and then again as planned maintenance works were carried out.
In a letter to this paper, Rochelle Dickson, the head of customer service at SSE Enterprise Utilities, said: “ We take any concerns that residents have very seriously and we are writing to each of them to clarify the function of the heat and hot water system on site and the help and support we can provide.
“It is a matter of regret that last month the estate was left without drinking water for a period due to a fault with a water pump circulating cold water throughout the estate.
“This water pump is operated by a party separate to SSE.
“Finally, I would also urge any residents who might be struggling with bills to contact our dedicated heat customer service team on 0345 078 3215 as soon as possible, we will then provide all the help we can to manage any issues they might be facing.”

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Nice idea Connie but as they are all flats where the bleedin' hell are water butts going to fit in?

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

They can have them in the lounge with guttering feeding the rainwater in from the outside through an open window. The rainwater would be free from some of the additives that can be found in tap water.

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Yes Connie it would be free from some of the shit in our tap water but I don't think it sounds that good in the estate agents spiel for anyone selling up.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

I think people will already have trouble selling up as this estate becomes as notorious as the former Mardyke.

Re: Orchard Village

The good news keeps on coming.....

Work on a new doctor’s surgery had began at the Orchard Village, Rainham, run by Clarion Housing, but has stopped following numerous complaints from residents, with some moving out as a result.

In the email sent to councillors from the Director of Primary Care Transformation at the Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge (BHR) CCGs Sarah See, she said: “As you may remember, NHS England and Havering CCG identified the need for a new GP practice in Orchard Village as an additional 2,500 residents would be moving to the estate and be looking to register with a GP.

“However, residents who purchased homes on the estate have since complained about numerous build issues with their homes and some residents have moved out.

“These building issues have also affected the area designated for the GP practice and subsequently put a stop to the building work. The continued delays have also resulted in the planned provider of the GP practice withdrawing. This means that the CCG would need to undertake a new procurement process to secure a new provider for the GP practice.

Clarion Housing said: “We are now considering our options for the space.” They are pondering on weather to build 500 one bed flats or 750 two bed.

The Havering slum conversion continues unabated......

CLICK HERE

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

So sub-standard housing, and if you become ill, no doctors' surgery?

But they're still planning on building more of these 'desirable' homes?

Re: Orchard Village

Desirable Housing....

Havering Council cabinet member for transformation with special responsibility for Rainham, Cllr Michael Armstrong, said:

“This marks an important milestone in the redevelopment of the Orchard Village. While this is just one aspect of the long-term Rainham Compass regeneration programme, it is extremely satisfying to see the real difference the improvements are already making to residents and families in the area.”

Perhaps that is why he was deselected.... Oh shit.... he was replaced with Dervish, ah well, out of the frying pan and into the fire...

CLICK HERE

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

Rainham, Cllr Michael Armstrong, said: “This marks an important milestone in the redevelopment of the Orchard Village. While this is just one aspect of the long-term Rainham Compass regeneration programme, it is extremely satisfying to see the real difference the improvements are already making to residents and families in the area.”

We eagerly await the exciting future benefits from the Rainham Compass regeneration programme.

Re: Orchard Village

PLANNING minister Nick Boles has called the continuing regeneration of Orchard Village one of his favourite projects, according to an article in trade magazine Building Design.

Led by the Old Ford Housing Association – which is part of the Circle Group – and on behalf of Havering Council, the £80 million scheme will see the ageing Mardyke estate completely revamped with new, affordable flats, maisonettes and family homes.

Praising the development Mr Boles said Orchard Village was ’uplifting, fine, bold and human’. Council officials have said the estate was one of the least popular in the borough but now there is ’great demand for it’.  CLICK HERE

The only demand now is to get the hell out of there.....

life on a ‘flagship’ housing estate..   Leaking sewage and rotten floorboards...

Orchard Village in east London was built in 2014 as a bold replacement for the notorious Mardyke estate, which provided the setting for the gritty film Fish Tank. But conditions are so bad that some residents think it should be demolished.....  CLICK HERE

Re: Orchard Village

BHR,Havering CCG,NHS England layers of expensive beaurocracy one of the many reasons our Health Service is under the cosh financially,if that development has as many Jobsworth attached to it it’s no wonder it’s a shambles and that’s before the brown envelopes are considered.
As I’ve said before we come from estates like this,but we got out from under some people are not so lucky and have to endure the living conditions put upon them by the mismanagement of projects by politicos and hooky consultants and their builders.
Makes normal life a constant battle.