Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

Investigations launched into safety of Orchard Village estate

12:00 17 May 2015

Hayley Anderson  (Romford Recorder)

Orchard Village

Extensive investigations are being carried out at a £108million estate described as a “health and safety hazard”.

Several residents of Orchard Village, Rainham, have made reports to Circle Housing Old Ford of metal poles and other building materials falling from the estate.

Zoe Allen, 37, of Snowdrop Court, said she was “so scared” when a pole fell from the third floor of a block of flats, just inches away from her and her two children, aged seven and nine.

She said: “In my opinion, the building is not safe – someone needs to make sure these buildings are OK for us to walk near, let alone live in.”

A mum-of-four who wishes to remain anonymous, said she was shocked when she saw a slab of concrete fall from the roof and into her garden.

She said: “I couldn’t stop looking at it – I’m just relieved it didn’t hurt anyone.”

Orchard Village – formally the Mardyke Estate – was originally built in the 1960s but was knocked down in 2009 as part a regeneration project.

The work, which is still being carried out, will see more than 500 extra homes built.

Cllr Michael Deon Burton, (South Hornchurch, IRG), said: “It is completely unacceptable that the lives of families living here are constantly being put at risk for no good reason.

“The whole estate is a healthy and safety hazard that is falling apart.

“Measures need to be taken to ensure that no ends up getting hurt or even worse.”

Suki Jandu, managing director for Circle Housing Old Ford, said: “We apologise for the distress this has caused and we want to reassure residents that their safety is our absolute priority.

“Along with our contractors, we are carrying out further extensive investigations throughout the estate to find out the cause of this issue.

“We would encourage residents with any concerns to contact our housing officers who are based on site, or visit our weekly drop-in sessions which are open to all members of our local community.”

(but watch out for falling debris, hard hat required)

Re: Orchard Village

Percy.
Strange I remember seeing a smiling Mr Burton saying how great the newly rejuvenated estate was.Sure it was in the recorder.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

Perhaps it was built to self-destruct within six months?

Re: Orchard Village

You can't expect much for £108 million these days!

Re: Orchard Village

Our record show a catalogue of disasters connected to Orchard Village.

August 2013

January 2015

May 2015

Re: Orchard Village

Terry Matthews

Re: Orchard Village

Romfordian
Who were the builders lets see if they go into liquidation so as not to make good on the shoddy build
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Orchard Village

more likely shoddy design, and councillors visiting the site what would they know?

Re: Orchard Village

Leaves are falling in Orchard village
A sad autumn arrived so quickly
Scavengers swoop down to pillage
Spring blooms are brown and sickly
Summer was just for one season
The cold Winter is not far ahead
Will the council give us a reason
Why this estate is almost dead.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

As I said, you can't expect much for £108million pounds these days.

The Marddyke was the answer to social housing in the sixties and stood for fifty years, I wonder how long this estate will last?

Re: Orchard Village

For this weeks East London Enquirer - CLICK HERE

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

The saga continues.

Nightmare new homes in Rainham estate have leaks, damp and bad wiring

08:12 25 January 2016

Sam Gelder

Residents in Orchard Village have had major housing problems with heir new-build homes. Colin Nickless at 3 Broadis Way with his daughter Ellie, four

Owners of new homes on an £80million housing development have been hit with leaks, damp and light bulbs that won’t turn off.

What they said about the problems

Circle Housing:

Iain Taylor, regional development director: “We are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible and are sorry for the inconvenience. Along with our contractors, we have carried out urgent repairs at the four homes which reported problems to us.

“We will redecorate and replace damaged carpets and do a full inspection of the 28 homes to ensure there are no further issues.”

Willmott Dixon:

“We have two people on site to resolve any issues. We take customer care very seriously and our team will ensure that any further work that is required will be done promptly.

“We’re proud of the hundreds of homes we’ve built over many years to create Orchard Village with Circle, and are applying utmost urgency to resolve the issues.”

MP Jon Cruddas:

“I spent Friday evening going through a whole series of cases with residents. This is very serious and I have taken all the cases up with the chief executive. These were not problems you would assume you should get with new builds and I am determined to get to the bottom of this because they are not isolated cases.”

Residents of Orchard Village, Rainham, have endured problems since they moved in last summer.

Colin Nickless, 40, is a home carer for his daughter Eleanor, four, who has autism and cystic fibrosis. He, his wife Jessica, 38, Eleanor and her little brother Freddy, two, moved to Broadis Way in August from Devon.

Since then, they have had 30 visits from contractors over defects in their shared ownership home, for which they paid £75,000.

In December, Colin was so fed up he went knocking on neighbours’ doors to see if they were in the same boat, and discovered almost all of the people in the 28 homes had experienced similar problems.

“We’ve got damp, mouldy carpets. If my daughter gets the fungus in her lungs, the best case scenario is she’s in hospital for two weeks and worst case is she needs a lung transplant,” said Colin.

“There’s a complete disregard for people’s health. It took five visits to fix a leak and another five for a problem with the balcony light. There was a bulb on the landing that didn’t turn off.

“When we moved in, three pipes weren’t connected properly in the toilet. There can’t have been any thorough testing. If there was, how would these problems be missed?

“As a parent you are left wondering if the house is safe to live in.”

Housing association Circle Housing has admitted the houses were not built to the expected standard by contractors Willmott Dixon, and is now fixing the problems after emails from Colin which were also sent to MP Jon Cruddas and BBC Watchdog.

Another couple, who have two young children, came home late one night in December to find water gushing through the ceiling and called an emergency number, only to be told to call a plumber.

“There was water in the light bulb,” said the resident, who did not want to be named. “We were soaking up buckets of water from the carpet with a water hoover.

“We are concerned about the future. The guarantee is only for one year, so if something goes wrong after that we have to pay. It’s a brand new house, you don’t expect these things.”

Another neighbour, who bought her house outright, had Christmas presents ruined by a leak.

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Wasn't the Mardyke once a council estate?
Perhaps the housing dept with its usual gusto offloaded it to Circle knowing this would happen and no responsibility falls on their shoulders.
Would not shock me at all.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

I'm confused by this one!

“We are concerned about the future. The guarantee is only for one year, so if something goes wrong after that we have to pay."

The 'shared owner' has paid £75,000 and got a 1 year warranty?
The average car comes with a 3 year warranty!

I don't know what percentage £75,000 buys you, but I'd be thinking twice before I sank any more money into one of those builds.

Did the property come with a National House Builder Certificate?

Re: Orchard Village

Percy
No surprise the whole area was a marsh at one time I used to fish in the lakes.Mardyke might be a clue.The water table is rising we used to have problems of drainage where our buses are parked on the Dovers corner estate the water would not drain but now it is worse and the water actually comes out of the ground like a river.The new houses they intend to build will need to be on stilts.

Re: Orchard Village

confused of hornchurch

So Percy, would you advise me to invest in one of these new homes?

Re: Orchard Village

bellend
I would connie every new key comes with a hard hat.

Re: Orchard Village

Barbara Matthews
And a very large bucket!

Re: Orchard Village

dalek1
Wot no flushing toilets?

Re: Orchard Village

Barbara Matthews
Oh yes Dalek, they have them with matching ceilings!
1234 ... 7