On your bike

Re: On your bike

confused of hornchurch

I thought that was a reference to Cheryl!

Havering Council’s chief executive announces retirement

12:36 14 January 2016

Ann-Marie Abbasah  (Romford Recorder)

Cheryl Coppell with her OBE award is set to retire as Havering Council's chief executive

The chief executive of Havering Council has today confirmed her plans to retire, later this year, after nine years at the helm.

Cheryl Coppell, joined the authority in 2007, with overall responsibility for more than 300 council services from social care, housing, libraries, parks and schools to maintaining and improving roads.

An advertisement for her replacement will be released later this month with the hopes of recruiting a new chief executive by April.

She said: “I have been very proud to serve local people and very lucky to have worked with some great people in Havering.

“I now feel the time is right to pass responsibility to my successor to take the Council forward and continue to improve services to local people.”

Mrs Coppell, who received an OBE for services to local government last year, will stay on until her successor is in post.

Leader of the council, Cllr Roger Ramsey called Mrs Coppell a “fantastic servant” who he managed to persuade once before to postpone her retirement.

The chief agreed in October 2014 to a flexible retirement pattern and has worked part time for more than a year.

Cllr Ramsey said: “Cheryl has been extremely effective leading the council through the many recent challenges and difficulties as a result of the recession and local government budget reductions.”

Re: On your bike

Royston Eldridge

Re: On your bike

confused of hornchurch

I certainly am!

I'm not a proud man, if there's going to be a good drink-up I shall accept the invitation.

Is there a chance I may bump into you at the gathering?

Re: On your bike

Royston Eldridge

Re: On your bike

confused of hornchurch

These informal occasions can often be quite helpful if you are looking to "get your feet under the table" with regard to a career in local government.

I shall look forward to making your acquaintance.

Re: On your bike

Percy
Is any one going to set up a giving site to buy her a going away present?

Re: On your bike

Perhaps now Coppell is about to be put out to pasture then next leader will show a bit more backbone and carry out a total overhaul of the existing so called senior managers such as Cattermole Blake-Herbert and review who is really needed. Do we really need a chief executive group heads and so on paid over inflated salaries from our council taxes and business rates? What the hell do they do? Joking aside don't forget to invite Ho Hum to Chezza's farewell. And no naughty activities in the town hall car park you lot.

Re: On your bike

I think we've already donated far too much.

Re: On your bike

We don't know the exact venue at the moment Dalek. (we'll have to wait for the invites)

Re: On your bike

dalek1
Hold on the council are cutting back at the moment!
How can they afford a piss up for old Chezz?
Oh perhaps we should have a whip round for a nice farewell for our esteemed CE as Perc suggested.
I'll get a few party bits out the 99p shop starting with a few packs of 10 year out of date crisps.
Any other ideas boys?

Re: On your bike

Royston Eldridge

Re: On your bike

dalek1
Just make sure he's not had his arse in them.

Re: On your bike

I don't think we're expected to take anything, but I'll ask Cheryl when the time comes.

Re: On your bike

dalek1
While your at it can you ask her what happened to the 1.5 million that went missing in the housing benefits fraud  why the mobile mast in Hornchurch was planning application was overlooked by the  dept enabling the company concerned to build it against the wishes of local people how five junior schools were shut down when the council new our population would increase in the next few years (despite denials) how a senior cabinet member can work part time on a part time salary etc (cont on pg 94)

Re: On your bike

confused of hornchurch

Under normal circumstances I would have asked her, but if she's buying the drinks all night it may appear churlish.

I'll try to persuade E7 to broach the subject after we have had our fill of the hospitality.

Re: On your bike

Royston Eldridge

Re: On your bike

dalek1
Yes and when she's gone we might remind Watkinson and Ramsey or whoever's council leader at the time very publicly preferably in front of a large audience at election time.

Re: On your bike

That's probably about the time that we will politely be asked to leave.

Re: On your bike

An absolutely sickening site. In the short time I've been posting on the Forum what has gone on in this bent borough.
And this is her reward.
How the establishment sticks two fingers up to us Havering folk and this woman can enjoy her pension pot paid for by us.
12