New Lidl in Hornchurch

Percy.
The old Bingo hall to be demolished and a new Lidl to be built in Hornchurch.That should put Sainsbury nose out of joint.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Royston Eldridge

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Not only Sainsbury's nose, but also the supermarket company that intends to open in the former Waitrose site. Just how many supermarkets do we need in Hornchurch?

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Romfordian
What happened to our one in Harold Hill ?
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Percy.
I believe there were too many objections by the Harold hill folk.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Romfordian
I don't think so Percy all of the planning applications had gone through and accepted before they demolished the police station SO who knows ??
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Hi Percy, there was an article in the Recorder a few weeks ago stating that a group of residents are trying to get the old cinema listed building status.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Lorraine Moss
From the Recorder

Bingo battlers turn to listed status to save Hornchurch Mecca Bingo
16:06 10 September 2015 Chloe Farand
The 1930s Mecca Bingo in Hornchurch could be sold to property developers

A campaign to save an art deco bingo hall from being demolished has gathered more than 200 supporters.

Hayley Johnson, 37, who lives across the street from Mecca Bingo, High Street, Hornchurch, has made a formal request to Historic England calling for the building to be listed.

Mrs Johnson set up a Facebook page – which has more than 200 likes – to mobilise residents after the hall’s owners announced property developers had made “a very good offer” to buy the site in July.

She said: “I love the building and my main aim is to save it. If it can stay as the Mecca Bingo it would be fantastic, but I am a realist and I feel they will sell the land.

“If the building is protected they won’t be able to knock it down and they will have to keep at least the towers.”

A petition, launched by Tony Bailey, 46, and Lucy Saunders, 30, has also gathered 69 signatures.

Gaming company the Rank Group, which owns the Mecca Bingo chain, told the Recorder in July the offer was more valuable than any profit the bingo hall could make in the next 12 years.

Historic England confirmed the fast-track application was being assessed but said it was not aware of any threats to the building.

The final decision whether to list the bingo hall – which opened in 1935 as the Towers Cinema and was converted into a bingo hall in 1973 – will be made by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, John Whittingdale.

Mrs Johnson has also applied to Havering Council for a building preservation notice to be issued on the hall, giving it the same protection as a listed building and stopping demolition for six months.

The council said it will make a decision as soon as possible.

A Mecca Bingo spokesman said the chain was still in negotiations with the company looking to purchase the site and no decisions had yet been made.

One employee, who did not want to be named, admitted it was a “difficult time” for staff, with the building’s future remaining unclear.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Lorraine Moss
There is also an online petition here http://www.petitions24.com/save_mecca_bingo_hornchurch

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

bellend
Lidl could have the Waitrose shop.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

They will never take the Towers Cinema away from me.  The picture below is what greets me when I turn my laptop on.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

It's not big enough for them, and one of the reasons it closed was the lack of parking.

They want the bingo hall for a big supermarket with parking, and who knows, if they include some affordable luxury housing on top, that could help sway the planning application.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Hi Bellend, the strange thing is that the old waitrose is supposed to be some new international supermarket.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

If the Towers building is demolished you can bet your life much of the car will be developed too....Plenny of dough for those with an eye for big bucks.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

International supermarkets usually mean polish a niche shop that will not be affected by Lidl.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Well Perc yet another historic building in the borough bites the dust. I know from past messages its not a subject matter dear to your heart but how many more buildings of historic significance will we lose to make way for flats supermarkets car parks and so on. And has anyone at Havering town hall given any thought to Hornchurch's infrastructure and worked out the practicalities? Traffic queues getting longer and longer and with a new supermarket it can only get worse. Yes Sainsburys needs some competition but not at the loss of an historic site.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Romfordian
As the Borough is strapped for cash why not sell the town hall and use Mercury house for meetings could get thousands of flats there
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

Oh yes it will Perc. I use Tesco's in Goodmayes quite a bit and its put many local ethnic stores out of business. I know their tactic's well. Get the same produce in available at the local ethnic store undercut them and when the ethnic shop goes bust whack up the prices. What makes you think a Lidl wont do the same? All the supermarkets do their research. Look at Sainsburys in Newberry park! Has a large Kosher section and Tesco's Goodmayes now has a Halal butcher. Incidentally in Aldi Romford actually heard a member of staff speaking with a local accent. I thought being fluent in Serbo-Croat  Latvian or Hungarian was part of Lidl/Adli's staff job description.

Re: New Lidl in Hornchurch

bellend
part of our shop is aldi it's exciting you never know what's in the tin/packet just like christmas, we were told a few years back their wine was very good, it is, and quite reasonable price, their dog food gets woofed down, dish washer tablets good value, I like baileys their baileys knock off copy is better and only 4 quid, I know confused gets his whole shop there but uses harrods shopping bags. their fruit and veg doesn't keep as long as same purchased in other supermarkets, less chemicals or older stock? a true cultural experience in the Romford lidl a phrase book and a smattering of east european language is recommended, never the less very good value. if a european diet is your taste it's very good a true taste not a british version. in short come lidl knock down the bingo hall nice big car park next door.