Music for your funeral

Percy.
I have just been to a cremation at the new Brentwood crematorium.Its very nice and well organised.
The question though is what music would you want for your service.
I have chosen a whiter shade of pale by Procul Harem as it about 9 minutes long so should slow the service down and as they go out I want Keep my grave clean by Bob Dylan.
What would you choose.

Re: Music for your funeral

Bouncer

one of a few i would like

Re: Music for your funeral

A whiter Shade of Pale has a very haunting melody and is an all time favourite of many from the swinging 60s.  However, the lyrics don't make sence.

Apart from that, I'm off to a funeral myself tomorrow and I'm pleased to say there will only be hymns.

Re: Music for your funeral

Bouncer, I enjoyed Songs of Captivity and Freedom.

Re: Music for your funeral

Bouncer
thanks ho-hum yes i enjoyed it aswell when i heard it first time

also i like

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
I liked the graphics that accompanied the song.  I'll play it again tomorrow evening while indulging in my Friday night chardonnay.

Re: Music for your funeral

We skipped the light fandango
Turned cog wheels cross the floor.
I was feeling kind of seasick
When the crowd called out for more.
While the 16 vestal virgins
were leaving for the coast.

Its an allegory for life are we dancers who choose our own movements or just cog wheels in time with no will power or choice.

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
Many of the original lyrics were deleted, probably because it was too long, which made the song hard to understand when it was cut.

In my view, this song was/is a success due to its great melody and the soulful vocals of Gary Brooker and Matthew fisher on organ.  I'll retreat and call the lyrics complex.  It was progressive rock, way ahead of its time.

Sometimes I play it on you tube, when it's nice to see my old pal Ray Royer who was an original member of Procol Harem.

Understood or not, it's a great song.

Re: Music for your funeral

bellend
anotherone bites the dust

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
At my aunt's funeral they played Vera Lyn singing 'We'll Meet Again'...I ddn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I only want hymns at mine but if I had a non hymn it would be my favourite nursery rhymn 'The Runaway Train'.

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
I noticed John Mylod attended the funeral I was at today.  In my view he's an excellent councillor.  He always does his best when approached about issues in the St Andrews Ward and pops up in all sorts of places.

In my view, a good'un.

Re: Music for your funeral

This one time when I died Matron played the harmonica, and Death played the violin, don't know what  tune they played cause I was a bit dead.

Satan always plays a flute at funerals-not sure why, however I do know he is one weird omega.

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
Cadavers were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.

Hence the custom; "holding a wake."

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people.

So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.

When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive.
So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell.

Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be,
"saved by the bell" or was "considered a dead ringer."

Re: Music for your funeral

Ho-Hum
This is a goodie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSIUf2hD6Io

Re: Music for your funeral

Percy.
Good Video.
In Medieval times bodies were not always buried in the ground they were left in a chapel until the flesh rotted off and the bones were then put into a charnal house.
I visited a Church in the Czech republic where they had used the bones from the plague as decorations and light fittings.They felt using them honoured the dead.
In Goa they put the Bodies into Niches in the walls for ten years then put the bones into one room.
As a Teenager my family still would hold the body at home for a week and some one would stand guard at night over the body.
I remember seeing my Gran in her coffin for the week until her burial.

Re: Music for your funeral

The Ear

Re: Music for your funeral

Yes it's not unusual to keep a body at home for a short interval so that friends and neighbours can come and pay their last respects.

My father died suddenly and it was my mother's wishes that he was brought home for one last time.

We all thought the world of him but never realised how much he meant to our friends and neighbours until we had a constant stream of mourners visiting the house.

They all came to see him and filed past the open coffin like he was a head of state.

I think it helped to comfort all of us at the time although I must say I felt a little uneasy at having the coffin in the house.

Dead people won't do you any harm, it's the living that you have to be wary of.

Re: Music for your funeral

GAZZER
"Dead people won't do you any harm, it's the living that you have to be wary of".

Who are you trying to kid confused-what about Vampires-Zombies and all those barmy living dead that shuffle around the Labour party grave yard.

Re: Music for your funeral

confused of hornchurch

Yes, some of them would do you plenty of harm, but because I've seen them on tv I didn't realise they were dead.

Those studio make-up artists' are worth their weight in gold.