Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Ho-Hum
An apology for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre would be nice and do no harm (but what's Khan up to?).

The other thing is, where do national apologies end.  Should Germany apologise on Hitler's behalf for the WW2 and so on. I think we should remember that the past is the past and times were much different then.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Mark One
Fake news, Christian propaganda. 😀

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

confused of hornchurch

Well I never, I've believed that for years because I was taught that at school.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

not Britain, the few that ruled Britain should be ashamed

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

We was talking to a couple of Germans on holiday once,they came from Cologne,he asked where we came from when we told him he asked did you lose anybody in the Blitz? he went onto say that he had lost family in the bombing of Cologne we agreed that it was very sad on both sides,but it was part of history and that hopefully mankind learns from it and moves on.
We was thinking of popping over to Normandy to see if we could get some reparation for billy boy taking over in 1066,but we thought it best left otherwise where would it end?

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

bellend
we also were talking to two german men on holiday over a lunch one had better English than the other, chatting about football then the weather the one with good English skills went to the little boys room I said to the other do you get much snow? he replied "nine vee hav separate beds".  true story.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

If you thought Boris J was bad news, we now have that posturing little shit suggesting we lick arse for something no-one can remember. The prat can't even get to grips with the day job.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

I don't think it would carry much weight if we apologised bellend, the people that should do the deed are the few that still rule us.

None of us can be held responsible for the actions of the British military of 100 years ago but by refusing to acknowledge it was an act of imperialist terrorism they are in fact condoning those actions.

It was mass murder by an occupying imperialist army.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Stranger things have happened HH.
A few years back we being told to boycott Arab Oil presumably to protect our now near defunct mining industry and a few years later when the Arabs wised up to the fact they were getting a pittance for their oil per barrel suddenly the boot was on the other foot and our politicians the same ones who 20 or so years previous were calling the Arabs bloody wogs or ragheads had their noses so far up their arses to ensure the oil supply was maintained it was untrue.
At the moment India is fast emerging from the abyss and could be a valuable trading partner for this country as could our old allies Canada Australia and New Zealand plus new ones such as Brazil and many far eastern countries.
And just think.
We were the ones who taught them how its done!

I think as it's Christmas time we should all emerge from our entrenched positions and have a game of football, before going back to slaughtering each other in the new year. That's also kind of traditional.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

bellend
but the germans will slaughter us on the football field

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

confused of hornchurch

That doesn't matter, it's only a game.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Connie that was one of the loveliest stories to emerge in any war.
I remember three years ago when Little Miss D1 was in her school choir they did a version of Silent Night for the school Christmas concert which was sung in both English and German and both Mummy D1 and myself were in tears to hear this song of reconciliation.
It reminded my mum of the dad she hardly got to know having died at the age of 47 due to the long term effects of mustard gassing in WW1 and the same happened to my dads father who died at the age of 49.
I never new my grandparents as they apart from one who I never met were dead by the time I was born and was always envious of other kids talking about Nanny and Grandad.
At least my two nephews got to know their grandparents albeit for a short time in the case of their two grand dads and Little Miss D1 will have memories of her two nans.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

They didn't last time we played.
They couldn't break us down even if we had a scratch side out.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

I remember we had to sing silent night in german.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

Mark One
Not sure how old you are coh but if you went to primary school in the 60s you may have also been told that knights in full armour had to hoisted on to their horses by crane. That was not correct either, the armour was never that heavy , otherwise think about it how restrictive it would have been in a dust up if it were.

Back to the Romans, the putting to death of Christians was never a official policy of the empire, though some emperors did kill a few merely for being Christian. I have read that in the first 300 years of Christianity only during ten of these were Christians persecuted . Christians killed in the arena were mostly sentenced to death for criminal acts not because they were Christians.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

confused of hornchurch

I may be seeking an apology from the education system for instigating my confusion.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

That’s sad mate.My wife lost her grandparents on her Dads side when Kennington Tube station was hit by a bomb.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

dalek1
Fred my own dad a WW2 vet who was severely wounded outside Anzio in 1944 also had an early demise three weeks shy of his retirement due to degenerative effects of his war injuries.
A fantastically fit bloke solid build he went into the army weighing about 13st and came back from POW camp weighing about 7.5 stone.
Physically he got over it but his mind was shattered in later life.
In WW1 the cure for this condition was to place young troopers up against a firing squad for cowardice if they panicked under fire.
A great legacy of our imperial past.

Re: Mr Khan thinks we? should apologise for an event in 1919.Comments welcomed.

fred
Yes terribly sad for those left behind,my Mums Dad came out with shell shock and on demob took to drink he wound up in Cane Hill Asylum for the rest of his life,didn’t have the counselling then.Remember him as frail and broken.
There was an ex Japanese p o w who lived in my Mums council block he never left his room till his early death in the mid-fifties,god only knows what they went through to ensure the freedoms we enjoy today.
12