Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

Lorraine Moss
The labour ward at King George Hospital will close in a matter of days, after health planners wielded the axe on it this afternoon.

Comments Email Print
Maternity capacity at Romford’s Queen’s Hospital has already been increased due to the changes.

King George’s maternity unit was first earmarked for closure in late 2009.

But in 2011, then secretary of state for health Andrew Lansley said closure could not happen until certain tests were passed.

Most of those related to failings at the maternity unit in Queen’s Hospital, Rom Valley Way.

But after a two-day visit to the unit in December, the Care Quality Commission found it met all standards including care and welfare; safety, availability and suitability of equipment; and staffing

The board of NHS North East London and the City (NELC) today made the final decision to stop all births at the hospital, at meeting in Ilford.

The closure means women will give birth at surrounding hospitals, including Queen’s.

The board of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust approved the plans last night.

Alwen Williams, chief executive of NHS North East London and the City, said: “We are making changes to maternity services so that all local women get the safe, high-quality service they deserve at all local hospitals.

“We have put care at the heart of these changes and we have only made the decision to move forward with the change to maternity services at King George Hospital once local clinicians and the external experts have confirmed that it is safe to do so.”

Dr Atul Aggarwal, chair of Havering clinical commissioning group, said: “This decision should help ensure that no maternity unit is ever too busy to provide top-quality care to women and babies.

”In the past few months we’ve seen the opening of the Barking Birthing Centre and the Queen’s Birth Centre, providing more choice of birth setting for women with low-risk pregnancies.

“We have also increased the number of babies that can be born at Newham and Homerton hospitals. Further expansion of Whipps Cross and the Royal London will continue to provide more capacity in the future.”

The NHS will produce a guide to help people understand changes to maternity services which will be available from GP surgeries from mid-March.

Re: Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

Independent man
why did this happen so quickly as Queens maternity united got slatted yet again on one of the London TV news shows only this week,I hope the Queens unit will be able to cope with the extra strain that it will have to put up with.
But I am not surprised that the health authority has closed another local maternity unit, as we all know its Government policy to cut back as much as possible on the NHS.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

Baby boom: Nearly quarter of babies are born to mothers from outside the UK as birth rate hits all-time high

THE INTERNATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE.

The number of babies born in England and Wales reached an all-time high last year.

There were more than 700,000 births, 100,000 more than when the birthrate hit its lowest in 2001.

The birthrate has been pushed up fast in recent years by immigration. Last year nearly a quarter of all babies in England in Wales were born to mothers who were themselves born abroad.
Newborn babies
The number of live births in 2008 was 708,708, of which 24 per cent were born to mothers from outside the UK, according to figures from ONS

The figures were released by the Office for National Statistics, which said: 'Fertility rates for 2008 give an average number of 1.95 children for every woman (over their lifetime) in England and Wales, the highest since 1973 when there was an average of two children for every woman.'

The number of births, 708,708, was the highest since 1972, when the long postwar baby boom began to fade away.

Migration is a key reason for the rising birthrate. Some 24 per cent of all babies were born to mothers from abroad, up from 23 per cent in 2007 and 14 per cent in 1998

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1185465/Baby-boom-Nearly-quarter-babies-born-

SEND EM ALL HOME AND WE WILL HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM.

Re: Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

Lorraine Moss
To make matters worse this administration failed to support a motion to object to the closure of King Georges Hospital see http://democracy.havering.gov.uk/documents/g2311/Public%20reports%20pack%2030th-Jan-2013%2019.30%20Council.pdf?T=10.  Page 7, for voting record please see page 25.

Re: Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

GAZZER
I was born under a wandering star Mossy-no hospital-no midwifery- in the hands of the Gods.

Re: Maternity unit at King George Hospital to close next week

AngelDelight
I am quite shocked it is shutting so soon.