Large projects

Percy
It looks like the NIMBY blockage has gone in havering as Sadiq khan allows another 650 flats on the old ice rink and the dovers corner estate goes into application consideration. It must be many years since I told you there would never be a supermarket on the old ice rink site as it was simply not big enough. My next prophecy is Homebase site to be built on. It will come it is inevitable.

Re: Large projects

confused of hornchurch

This news is confusing too. As comforting as it is, where did 'skint' London Borough of Havering find the money to purchase Hornchurch police station from the 'skint MPS? Now the 'skint MPS has got to 'rent' it from the LBH. How long will it be before the rent paid to LBH is more money than the met received from the sale?????

Hornchurch Police station to stay open as Havering Council buys site and leases it back to the Met
PUBLISHED: 11:19 07 September 2018 | UPDATED: 11:32 07 September 2018
Liam Coleman

Hornchurch police station
After years of campaigning Hornchurch Police Station will remain open!

Havering Police officers in a streetwatch team meeting at Hornchurch Police station
Havering Council has agreed to take over the site from the Met Police, and will lease it back to them, guaranteeing a police presence in the area
Councillor Damian White, leader of Havering Council, said today, Friday, September 7: “We are delighted to have reached an agreement with MOPAC [the London Mayor’s Office for Police and Crime], following the mayor’s appalling decision to strip Havering of a key police base in the south of the borough.
“Residents have told us that they want to see more police officers on the streets in their neighbourhoods, and by stepping in and refusing to accept MOPAC’s short-sightedness, the council has secured the future of the police station in Hornchurch.
“The outcome of the mayor’s savage cuts to local policing would have meant residents in this part of Havering having to travel to Romford for their nearest police station. The result of our careful negotiations means we have protected a vital service for our residents.
“This is a great victory for the council. We understand and value the importance of a physical police presence across the borough, and our actions clearly show that we will do everything in our power to ensure the safety and peace of mind of our residents.”In November last year it was announced that all but one of Havering’s police station would be closing over the next few years to help the Met make savings of around £400m.
In July 2017, MOPAC put forward proposals to close both Hornchurch and Rainham police stations along with seven Safer Neighbourhood bases where members of the public can contact the Police’s Safer Neighbourhood teams face-to-face.
Such a move would have left only one 24-hour publicly accessible police station in the borough – Romford.
Former leader of Havering Council, Councillor Roger Ramsey said that this plan was “short-sighted” and called for legal action over the “deeply flawed” public consultation held at the time, about the closure of Rainham and Hornchurch police stations.
However several thousand signatures later, and this plan has now changed.

Will it be 'open for business 24/7' like it used to be or will it still be a part-time site?

Re: Large projects

The conservative controlled planning committee approved the plans to build 620 flats on the former Ice Rink site on 22nd February 2018. The vote for the resolution to grant planning permission was carried by 8 votes to 1 with 2 abstentions. All the conservative members of the planning committee voted to put 620 flats on the former Ice Rink site. Regulatory Services minutes HERE

The plans are referred back to the GLA for scrutiny - The conservative councillors had passed them 7 months earlier.

Re: Large projects

confused of hornchurch

Just painting Mr Khan as the 'bogey man' eh?

Re: Large projects

Percy
Thanks Phil is it the same for the Beam and Waterloo road.

Re: Large projects

Hornchurch police station is only open two hours a week so I think they need it for parking riot vans as the St Georges site is starting to be full of builders vans.

Re: Large projects

confused of hornchurch

I'd be interested to see the terms of the lease. What happened to the plans to have the neighbourhood police team in coffee shops?

Re: Large projects

If they need more parking they could always purchase the village bar and grill beside the police station as well. That has permanently closed now. There's the potential to purchase a large area of prime development land with those two sites combined if the leasing of the police station didn't work out in the long term.