Labour win Harrow council by election

Percy.
Labour Win West-Harrow By-Election
Twitter has come alive with the results of the West Harrow by-election, with Labour’s candidate Christine Robson romping home to victory.
Our congratulations to new Cllr Christine Robson, and our commiserations to those who lost.
Update: The numbers are now in - Labour 47.5% (1042), Conservative 34.7% (761). The results in full:
H. Crossman (Ind) – 53
R. Langley (Green) – 96
J. Merison (Con) – 761
P. Nandhra (Lib) – 68
C. Robson (Lab) – 1,042
J. Zeid (UKIP) – 171

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Captain Blogger
I hope she is better than the last one...

Brian Gate...

Formally councillor for Labour West Harrow - was cautioned on Monday following his arrest last year

“…on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children…”

and has since resigned as a Councillor. Harrow Council said in a statement “Following a police investigation, which he has fully co-operated with, Cllr Gate received a caution on Monday.

He has since tendered his resignation as a councillor. The safety and well being of children and young people in Harrow remains of paramount importance to the council and we will not take any risks whatsoever when it comes to their safety.” Apart from his caution, he has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register for two years.

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

bellend
your right ho-hum the result means little without knowing the trend

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Mr. Angry....
Administrator
Brian E Gate polled 1251 votes in 2010.

Labour held the seat with a reduced majority.

The Conservatives share of the poll was reduced by over 50%

So it looks like Labour are unpopular but the Conservatives are useless.

The toxic Cameron/Osborne effect...
Havering's angriest person...

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

confused of hornchurch

"The toxic Cameron/Osborne effect"...

Struth, I bet there's some brown trousers at Tory high command today.

Will Cameron/Osborne be able to find an antidote before the general election or is it game over?

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Its hard to judge trends comparing an election with a by election.It was cold this week its been bad weather so the voters probably heard little of what is going on.The turnout was very low etc.So it might have been a resounding triumph for Labour to have won as their supporters tend not to vote as regularly as the conservative voter.
Its also a very mixed electorate in West Harrow with a big Asian mix.
UKIP third but very low numbers less than a tenth of the Labour vote.

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

confused of hornchurch

Yes, a bit of a mixed grill, and as you say, in the next few months anything could happen to sway the voters.

We might get the collapse of another major bank' the Argie's might decide to invade the Falklands again or one of our leading coalition partners may get banged up in jail.

Funny old game politics.

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Percy.
Maybe Councillor White had to rush up to Tory HQ instead of meeting us at Tesco Elp park.
Probably frightened they will get thrown out this Thursday in Harold Hill.

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

confused of hornchurch

From Nick Clegg......A word of advice.

Conservatives 'cannot be trusted', says Nick Clegg

The UK Liberal Democrat leader is today expected to accuse his Tory coalition partners of being unable to stand up for Scottish interests.

Nick Clegg, appearing before Scottish Lib Dems in Dundee, will draw attention to the backlash his party suffered for agreeing to join the UK Government at the last general election.

"I know that the fact of going into coalition with the Conservatives has been particularly controversial in Scotland," he is expected to say.

"The legacy of Margaret Thatcher's Government lingers long in the memory.

"People in Scotland know that the Conservatives cannot be trusted to deliver a fairer society.

"Not on their own anyway.

"With only one MP in Scotland, who honestly thinks that the Conservatives on their own will stand up for you?"

The Lib Dems have 11 MPs in Scotland, including Scottish Secretary Michael Moore and Chief Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander.

The only Tory MP, David Mundell, is a minister in the Scotland Office.

The Lib Dems at Holyrood were reduced from 16 MSPs to five at the last Scottish election, one year on from the coalition agreement.

Mr Clegg is expected to focus on his plans for a "fairer society" during his speech this afternoon.

He will underline opposition to Home Secretary Theresa May's suggestion that Britain could pull out of the European Convention on Human Rights.

"She wants this option to remain on the table: no chance," he will say.

"As I said last weekend, it won't be on the Cabinet table as long as I'm sitting round it.

"That's why having Liberal Democrats in government, anchoring it in the centre ground and delivering for Scotland, is so important.

"Building a stronger economy in a fairer society, enabling everyone to get on in life."

But to reach that goal, Scotland must remain in the UK, he will say.

"I believe the bonds that bring us together are stronger than the forces that would tear us apart."

Lib Dems will also hear from Mr Cable and the Scottish party leader Willie Rennie.

Mr Alexander will speak to the party on Saturday.

The UK Lib Dem spring conference was held in Brighton last week in a time of mixed fortunes for the party.

The leadership was given a lift by its triumph in the Eastleigh by-election but forced into damage limitation mode with allegations of sexual harassment by former chief executive Lord Rennard, which he denies.

On Monday, former cabinet minister Chris Huhne was imprisoned for eight months, as was his ex-wife Vicky Pryce.

Huhne admitted perverting the course of justice after Pryce took three speeding points for her then-husband in 2003.

In Brighton, Lib Dem president Tim Farron cautioned that the party was in a "critical state" and should not assume it had a right to survive.

Mr Clegg was also engaged in bad-tempered clashes with Lib Dem activists over so-called secret courts legislation, a subject that will return at the Scottish conference.

The Justice and Security Bill, which would allow courts to sit in secret in some civil cases, was comfortably given its third reading in the Commons, despite a rebellion from some Tories and Lib Dem MPs and continuing opposition from civil rights campaigners.

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

Percy.
What will they do at the next election will they go on and elect Scottish MPs to it who will then have to stand down if the Scots vote for freedom.Maybe they should not include scottish MPs at the next election only voting later if the scots decide to stay with the UK?

Re: Labour win Harrow council by election

confused of hornchurch

It's all getting so confusing.