LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Lorraine Moss
From The Recorder

LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering

As home to the annual Pride in London march, the capital is the country’s epicentre of cultural diversity, with race, gender and sexuality celebrated by all.

Share article from Romford Recorder on facebook  Tweet article from Romford Recorder Share article from Romford Recorder on Google Pluspost article from Romford Recorder on reddit email article from Romford Recorder1
What surrounding boroughs provide
Barking and Dagenham:

– Children’s services has an ongoing project to support LGBT young people

– Workshops in schools to challenge discrimination

– Council voluntary service runs events on community safety issues affecting LGBT residents

Redbridge:

– Show Racism the Red Card event will explore anti-homophobic themes at Dagenham and Redbridge FC

– Primary schools show support for LGBT charity Stonewall

Many boroughs embrace voluntary groups, organisations and clubs dedicated to the LGBT community.

But while Havering is considered to be LGBT friendly with its active nightlife, there are no council-run or independent support groups based in the borough.

Cllr Alex Donald who is gay, believes Havering, with its growing elderly population, needs to support those who feel they cannot be open about their sexuality.

“I could not begin to imagine living in a society where I have to hide who I am for fear of social isolation, imprisonment, or worse”, he said.

LGBT services in Havering
Do you think there needs to be an LGBT service or support group in the borough?
Yes – People who might need support don’t have anywhere to turn that’s close to home   No – Havering is already very supportive and accepting so there’s no need Submit
“While many older LGBT people live a happy and fulfilling life, many – due to decades of discrimination and social exclusion – are still reluctant to come out and access services for fear of people’s reactions. We must recognise these challenges, especially in the context of huge cuts faced by local government and increasing social isolation generally among older people.”

There are no scheduled events taking place in the borough to celebrate LGBT History Month, which runs throughout February, but the council insists it works with a number of agencies to make the LGBT community “feel valued”.

Cllr Melvin Wallace, cabinet member for culture and community engagement, said: “The council embraces diversity and would welcome approaches from voluntary and community organisations that wish to develop LGBT-specific services.”

Romford’s Kosho nightclub, South Street, is the only bar in the town centre which runs weekly LGBT nights. Bar supervisor Tamsin Hurton agrees something needs to change.

“Our LGBT nights are very popular and we do get customers who attend every week, but we see a lot of new faces as well so it shows that a large community is out there.

“I think there should be some form of support based in the borough because we can see it could potentially help a lot of people.”

Volunteer at Redbridge Rainbow Community, Ilford, Matthew Walters said people travel to its drop-in sessions because there is nothing like it in their boroughs.

The sessions help visitors meet other LGBT people and put them in touch with services including counselling and sexual health.

“These groups are great places to meet people in a similar situation – it is very important to have that support network close to home,” he said.

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Lorraine Moss
On October 28th Mp Andrew Rossindell and 2 Cabinet members of Havering Council were spotted at Kosho night club on their LGBT night in the VIP area.

Andrew Rossindell has voted against equal rights for Gay people and against equal marriage.  Perhaps Cllr Alex Donald should approach Rossindell about this!

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Royston Eldridge

disgruntled employee
Why don't the trade unions at the Council do anything about LGBT rights?

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Lorraine Moss
Hi disgruntled employee, the council has a Conservative Administration and most of the elected Cllr's are part of the Romford Conservatives.  Two of the cabinet members are actually employed by MP Andrew Rosindell.  Rosindell is against equal rights for Gay people and it would appear that he has a large amount of influence in the running of Havering Council.  Unless he changes his views, I don't think there will be any changes.

disgruntled employee
The strange thing is the Union Secretary (recently exposed in the Telegraph as having a conviction for electoral fraud) is an LGBT activist - maybe the employer knowing about her past means she doesn't cause them trouble. Whatever the reason it's just one more way in which staff are being let down.

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Terry Matthews

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

bellend
what matters is, is he any good as a councillor.

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

confused of hornchurch

I haven't noticed any outstanding qualities as yet, have you?

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

Percy
If we can not even support the disabled and sick then I can not see how we can support special needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmqNiFJyI28

Re: LGBT community appeals for more support in Havering, But MP Andrew Rossindell Has Voted Against Equal Rights For Gay People

confused of hornchurch

Thank you Percy, I shall indeed heed the warnings from the officer. I don't think I have ever put myself in stranger danger but maybe I have at some time, and was too young and naïve to have realised it.

Maybe I was never attractive enough to get attention from other men? (perhaps I should have dressed more provocatively)

The one thing on the film that did get me excited was the Chevrolet (Gullwing) Impala, I always fancied owning one of them. I bet they are worth a few bob now.