Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Hornchurchlife
Just quickly say hello and I hope you don't mind me rejoining the Angry forum

For a while I've been trying to write an article for HornchurchLife about if Havering Council is helping or hindering Hornchurch high street. Specially thinking about small businesses and thinking about the long term. I'm very split and wondering if you all could help

Quick disclaimer, what you write here may be used in an article on HornchurchLife

Con
Hornchurch Road works, in various forms, have now been going on for over a two years which has affected journey times and made it awkward to travel by any means

Pro
The Road works are part of a million pound project to improve the streets of Hornchurch

Con
Havering has finally closed the high street for 3 months in an action that some people are saying has made Hornchurch a ghost town.

Pro
But the only reason they closed the road is that local businesses voted that they would prefer that to the roadworks going on longer

Con
Havering has allowed Starbucks to buy Burtons in an action that has caused local coffee shops to worry it will affect their sales. This seems to be an ongoing trend that started when the 99p shop moved on causing Topcat to have problems competing and eventually close down

Pro
New big businesses will bring work and may encourage more people to visit Hornchurch and spend more money on local businesses.

As you can see I'm a little conflicted and could do with your ideas and your thoughts

Many Thanks

Andy

http://www.hornchurchlife.co.uk

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Ho-Hum
Last years months of chaos did little if anything to improve the area.  It remains to be seen if the second phase improves the town centre (to me it's still the village)

There was money in the pot and it had to be spent.  Forget public consultations, executive decisions were made.  Brown envelopes anyone?  Will Hornchurch eventually be dressed like a lady or an old hag; it's wait and see.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Percy.
People dont like change but a village designed for horses has to change to keep up with the present.I am sure the council know best and it will soon be a great place for cafe culture.
Perhaps if they closed the high street permanently and redirected traffic around the back it would be better.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Ho-Hum
Another sweeping statement pericles that 'people don't like change'.  This is merely your view.  Often change is good and is welcomed.

Nobody wants to live in the dark ages.  Change in my 66years in Hornchurch has been both good and bad.  I'm wondering if it's worth wasting the details on you....

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Percy.
Probably Ho Hum but I am sure every one else is waiting for your delivery of the tablets of stone.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Personally I think the works have taken far to long and must effect trade-the benefits minimal to the shops and businesses which are probably losing revenue anyway due to this monolith of a recession/depression.

Tell ya what leave the paving's and paths alone and spend the money on advertising-free parking Bays outside the shops and nearby-save the traditional pubs that are left by cutting there tax burdens-cut tax burdens in general-Blah blah blah.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Bad: The ripping down of 500 hundred year old cottages to erect the building that now houses argos (early 1960s).  A brown envelope job if there was ever one.

Good: The building of the New Queen's Theatre.  Good: The building of the swimming pool in Harrow Lodge Park in 1956.  Good: The creation of Harrow Lodge boating lake.

Bad: Closing down the chip and putt in Harrow Lodge Park.  Bad: Cutting down trees at the whims of the mad axemen.

Good:  Alleyway lights where they were needed.

These are only my views, of course, and I could go on and on but I must get back to West Ham V Tottenham.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Hornchurchlife
Thank you, I'm glad we've got both sides of the argument being represented.

It's annoying but hopefully worth it.

Do you think Havering Council is doing enough to support local businesses during these hard times? Hornchurch is open the sign says, but I've spoken to people who say they are avoiding Hornchurch?

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Percy.
Yes its not the council that makes people avoid Hornchurch its the crowding and dangerous road through it.These changes are to address those problems long overdue but the council can only change the street scene not peoples minds.
The long term aim must be to separate people from traffic and its inherent pollution.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Ho-Hum
There's more to Town Planning than coffee shops pericles.  Not everybody has a life of leisure.
A ring road was on the agenda inthe 1960s.  Some people moved from the top end of Bruce Avenue, believing their homes would be bulldozed.  Householders and their families have to be considered before sending in the JCBs just to appease motorists.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

bellend
if you think there is chaos now wait until this scheme is complete, who are these planners, will we have to go round the village to get anywhere?

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Percy.
Ho Hum the sacrifice of the few for the benefit of the many a ring road is long overdue.
Shopping malls work because they separate the people from traffic and provide leisure activities to boost the footfall to the shops.
Just look in any Continental city the cars dont run through the streets on market day and cars are banned during opening hours.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Ho-Hum
A few?  You're talking about a road full of people and more.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  You sound like Adolph talking.  As long as difficulties do not apply to you pericles it doesn't matter.  Wait till the bulldozers move in on you and see how you feel...will it still be 'I'm all right Jack then'?

Apart from that shopping malls have nothing to do with High Streets.

And as for Europe, it's in chaos.  Woeful dreamer, dream on.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

ixion hates car also

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

bellend
Cllr Robert Benham, cabinet member who has responsibility for regeneration, said: “The key aims of the Hornchurch High Street scheme is to make it safer for residents and shoppers by making it clear and installing new wider traffic light-controlled crossings and a 20mph zone from Billet Lane to North Street.

“It is also proposed to make the high street more green and eye-catching, by installing trees and flowerbeds which will compliment the history and heritage of Hornchurch.

“Another aim is that the scheme will attract even more people to the high street,

which will increase trade for local shops and businesses in the area.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

bellend
"The use of the car must be discouraged and costs for using them raised. Pollution from cars cuts five years off the life of city dwellers and increases cancer risks. Its better for people to walk or collect a bus."

ixion on streetlife, what do you think pericles?

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

GAZZER
Haaaa he got more names than a Nigerian benefit fraudster lol.

i had to change my name on streetlife gaz because bellend is far to rude for the sensibilities of romford folk, i'm poetlorry@ there, but i have said so on angry, but pericles/ixion?

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

GAZZER
No you missed my point Bellers- I meant it in relation to Percy lol.

He has had about 5 handles.

Re: Is Havering Council Helping or hindering Hornchurch High Street's small buisnesses

Percy.
There is only one Pericles have a look at the meaning of the name and understand how it applies to this site.
I don't hate cars I drive most days .I am talking about an enjoyable shopping experience and wider traffic free boulevards are better than dodging traffic especially with children in tow. A wide tree lined street free of street clutter signs lights etc and some nice outside cafes or tapas bars would bring more people to the street.Forget about a few Nimbys in some back street of Hornchurch think of the majority once the plans are announced planning blight will overtake the proposed route for the ring way and the people will move out quickly and painlessly.