Ipads

Lorraine Moss
From The Recorder

Havering Council saved £39,000 by buying councillors iPads

Ian Weinfass, Senior reporter
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
4:30 PM

When it invested more than £10,000 into trendy iPad computers two years ago Havering Council was the subject of national debate.

Comments Email Print
But the council says it has reaped the rewards of investment and saved £39,000 since their introduction.

Across the council, 194 of the gadgets have been rolled out, for use by councillors and officers.

Since 2011 the council has spent £27,000 on the tablets, but received 115 of them for free under the terms of its contract with phone company T-mobile.

Council leader Cllr Michael White said: “We know that the introduction of iPads was controversial, but they have really helped to make savings as well as improve the level of service to our residents.

He added: “Because of our contract with T-Mobile, the majority have been free.

“We want to drive out costs through cutting bureaucracy and making sure that our officers have the tools to do the job and iPads are just one way of doing that.”

Matthew Sinclair, chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “If genuine savings have been made through the introduction of tablets in place of the automatic printing of documents, of course we welcome that. But residents will be wary of the claim that the council got over 100 ‘free’ iPads.

“There’s no such thing as a free iPad, and Havering Council Tax payers will be right to wonder if their cost has been passed on in another way.

“In any event, iPads are a top-of-the-range, premium product and there are much cheaper tablets available that would have saved local people yet more money.”

But Labour leader Cllr Keith Darvill said: “I was in favour of them when they were brought in and I think its made the job of a councillor more efficient, I print documents far less now.”

Residents’ Association leader Cllr Clarence Barrett said: “Whether it’s an i-pad, a laptop, a tablet, a PC or pen and paper, the important thing is to demonstrate value for money on any expenditure.”

Independent Residents’ Group leader Cllr Jeff Tucker said: “At first I was opposed to the plan because I didn’t want to risk the jobs of secretaries at the council, but I’ll hold my hands up and admit that it has improved the way I work.”

Several other councils across the country have also introduced iPads for staff and councillors since Havering’s pilot.

But neighbouring Redbridge Council decided against rolling them out to all its members in November of last year, following a trial.

Re: Ipads

Wow ! a blast from the past.  Who remembers the Ipad scandal?

We see our councillors on ITN and London Tonight.  A saving of £39,000 that is impressive but I would like to see exactly how this money has been saved. no detailed explanation has been given by Cllr Michael White in the above article

Re: Ipads

GAZZER
many moons ago when I was in competitive full contact martial sports I had the misfortune to be the wearer of many a EYE PAD.

Re: Ipads

Romfordian
I thought the great White dope said it would save £200,000 in printing and paper costs sure it was on telly and local paper
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Ipads

Lorraine Moss
It's a shame the original Angry site has gone, I am sure that it would have been on there somewhere.

Re: Ipads

AngelDelight
Hmmphhhh. Those figures are lacking actual detail. How much are the Tmobile contracts? Also how much are they paying in wages for IT support?
Sorry but I still think the whole iPad saga was still a way for people to receive a toy. I have one and it's a toy. It's useful for browsing and playing games, watching films and playing music. I can't do my job on one of them!

Re: Ipads

I can read what's going through your mind-I can see what you hide in your eyes I may put a spell on you Just to see exactly what you do..

I'm a wizard and there's magic in the air- I'm a sinner and dear Mossy you'd best beware There's magic everywhere.

Or do I really care-have I been there.. so many times before..

Nity nite Humans

Re: Ipads

Re: Ipads

GAZZER
Haa you have already got it Ho-Hum in abundance-it called MADNESS.

Re: Ipads

Re: Ipads

Even if they are saving money on printing, you can view an agenda on any Laptop.

I cannot see how Michael White can make a statement about how much money has been saved without telling us the details.

Re: Ipads

Percy.
I find my Android better than an I pad its got more free apps available and I can tether it to any mobile phone or hot spot where as the I pad refuses to tether to any other network.

Re: Ipads

Gazzer, I am totally confused

Cast a spell if you desire

My Broom will deflect it

and your spell will retire

Re: Ipads

AngelDelight
Pericles, I only have my ipad as it got donated to me by my husband as he bought a new android tablet, basically he thought the ipad was a pile of poop!

Re: Ipads

AngelDelight
I believe none of it that they say. If they were spending too much money on printing then just stop printing and have a paperless office. No saving if they have obtained gadgets etc and yes no details.
So why do they need a printing dept at Havering if they have saved so much money? Just use Newhams print dept to save even more money rather than have 2 idential depts!
What is interesting is that it has taken him all this time to come up with justifcation. Took that long to think about it?

Re: Ipads

Its not a pile of poop it has several advantages its just limited to the apps they provide which are quite expensive and as its apple mac software no one else can write open source software for it.Androids are open source and people all over the world are able to write and distribute apps that are free to download.
I have a brilliant one that takes my position and then gives me a picture of the stars I should be able to see in the sky.It is amazing knowing the names of the stars.

Re: Ipads

The Ear

Re: Ipads

Percy.
Several of the Disabled children I work with would be severely held back without the tablets they have and the apps written for them.They are also great for more elderly people who just need to know they can touch a picture and the programme they want works without understanding why.

Re: Ipads

The Ear

Re: Ipads

AngelDelight
I can sleep easy tonight now knowing the councillors are star gazing on their iPads. Or are they searching for Moonface?
12